Why do people love the classic REs so much?

#371Big_Boss1432Posted 11/26/2012 11:33:30 PM
Pechabuster posted...
Big_Boss1432 posted...

I literally faceplam at everything you type.

A. Well I'm not sensitive to nostalgia, I love a lot of this gens games and looking forward to a lot next year

B. I finished Neon Genesis (I own it), finished FLCL (cause I own it), finished Laggan (cause I own it), the rest I couldn't finish, just couldn't get into them. Never said DBZ was way better than those or that it was fact. Where has your information gathering skill gone? Are you so obsessed with being correct, you bring incorrect information and hope people believe you? Yeah good look actually having a discussion and not an argument.

C) My friend plays CoD and finds Ninokuni appealing, your examples are just so stupid and irrelevant hahahaha

Lol continue to ignore how ridiculous your logic is like a child. It still remains that anime can be western-like and that western animation can be anime like and you should know (you do know because you're just trolling) this since the RE board screams it all the time how RE6 is appealing to CoD fans (a western audience by a japanese company). Your opinions "DBZ is just GOOD" implies you think its the best (you outright said its your favorite) and you said it as if it was objective.
Also continue to steal my phrases because you can't come up with your own like a child too.

Really if I'm in middle school then you're still in kindergarden.

Your first sentence makes no sense. Anime can be western-like, except you always know its from japan because of its distinct style, so not really. If you cant tell RE is a Japanese game you're a fool. My opinions? I think you mean my OPINION implies. It doesn't imply anything other than I like it; but someone without analytic skills wouldn't know that huh? I'm a pretty genius Kindergartner (seeing as I can actually spell it correctly) then because I cleary outwit a middle-school student.
---
If this game wasn't gonna be sick; then I wouldn't be posting on this board, guy. Long story short.... THIS. GAME. IS. GONNA. BE. sick.
#372XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 11/27/2012 2:14:53 AM
Goldsickle posted...
I am a long term fan who has been playing with the series since 1996.
And I don't miss all the tank controls and door opening animation.
Plus, I remember starting a topic asking for veteran fans who like the new direction years ago and found more similar people.

"Not many that I've seen"? That's because you crassly assumed that anyone who likes the new direction are new players.

The only thing I want back in new RE are backtracking progression and game not divided into stages.
However, it's hard to implement if they want drop-in/drop-out online co-op.

I didn't say every RE fan wants prerendered graphics, tank controls and door opening screens. I said most fans want RE to be survival horror. I've almost never heard anyone say they'd rather RE be an action shooter.

Co-op has no place in survival horror btw.

So what if it's on a different console?
People bought PlayStations just to play RE1 & RE2.
Why can't they do the same for REmake & Zero?

It's basically fans telling Capcom "sorry, REmake isn't worth buying a new console for" with their wallet.

That sounds like clingy girlfriend thinking to me. "Well if you really cared about me you would have hung out with me instead of watching the game with your friends" or in this case "Well if you really cared about us you would have shelled out hundreds of dollars on a Gamecube just to buy Resident Evil." That's crazy thinking. If you're a developer you release your game on the system you think it'll do the best on, not on some kiddie system and then try to put a guilt trip on your fanbase. They would be horrible businesspeople if they thought that way.

Meanwhile, RE5 sold more than 5 million copies in less than a year after it was released, making it the fastest-selling RE in the series.
More reason to stick with the current formula.

RE6 could potentially exceed RE5 but we need to see an actual sales stat first (they keep only mentioning "shipped" copies).

RE2's sales on Capcom's site only list PS1 sales. If you count dual shock and all the other versions it probably sold more than RE5. RE6 deserves to outsell RE5 IMO because I couldn't stand 5 but I'd say neither one deserves 5 mill in sales and if 6 does sell more it would probably mean more of the same.

Try having execs breathing down your neck, pressuring to make the next game in the series sell.

If they didn't make REmake and Zero for the Cube then maybe their "quota" would have been hit. Imagine you're an RE developer. Do you design your game for the ps2, the system that has your target audience (teens and young adults) and is a way better selling system? Or do you design it for the gamecube, a much less popular console whose main audience is younger children? Not to mention their best success came on the PS1 with RE1-3 and the RE2 port to the N64 flopped. Which system would you pick? They not only chose the Gamecube, they signed an exclusivity deal with Nintendo. And they wonder why Zero didn't sell?

Plus, as I mentioned many times, the producers and directors themselves are tired of the old-school direction.

As long as they develop it as a survival horror game I don't care if they go back to the old school style or not.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#373GoldsicklePosted 11/27/2012 4:27:05 AM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
I didn't say every RE fan wants prerendered graphics, tank controls and door opening screens. I said most fans want RE to be survival horror.

As long as they develop it as a survival horror game I don't care if they go back to the old school style or not.

You never said that but I've seen a lot of such people from my own observation.

Although they don't represent the majority (based on high sales of the current direction), they're still barking loud enough to stink up forums like this.

And "most fans"? "Survival horror"?
"Most" fans based on what statistic? Unless there are no sources backing this up, this just another Weasel Word.

And "Survival Horror" doesn't have a definite meaning.
Even the wiki page for it either can't keep it consistent or conflicts with all the other things I've heard.

Co-op has no place in survival horror btw.

Says you.
Too bad you neither develop games nor are you some notable authority on it.
Whether you like it or not, co-op has become popular in horror-themed games nowadays, like Left4Dead, RE5-6 & Dead Space 3, coming soon.

"Well if you really cared about us you would have shelled out hundreds of dollars on a Gamecube just to buy Resident Evil." That's crazy thinking.

If they didn't make REmake and Zero for the Cube then maybe their "quota" would have been hit.

So? Fans shelled out cash for a PlayStation just to play RE & RE2.

Why can't they do the same for GameCube?
It being a "kiddie console" isn't really an excuse.
Remember that even before RE moved to the GC, the sales declined starting from 3.
Code: VERONICA's declined lower, having less sales rate than RE3, even with sales from both the Dreamcast and PS2 combined.
The old formula is getting stale, that's all.

RE2's sales on Capcom's site only list PS1 sales. If you count dual shock and all the other versions it probably sold more than RE5.

What a noob.
Yet another guy who responds by mentioning "sales total".

Look, what's important here isn't the total but the rate.
Any series could accumulate decent sales total if you wait several years and continuously porting.
But developers can't wait that long to break even.
The sales RE2 took over a decade to achieve, RE5 achieved it in less than a year.

Mentioning that "RE2's sales was only one one console" is really just pathetic goal post-pushing and isn't relevant, seriously.
It won't change that RE5 is currently the fastest selling in the franchise.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#374PechabusterPosted 11/28/2012 8:07:08 PM
Spade59 posted...
Looks like someone has another alt. The mods obviously sodomized you.

You should really consider changing your writing style.

Aww! Its actually heartwarming to know that you care about me so much to remember me! I doubt anybody else here could recognize me and I talked about several events that happened months before release so its obvious to people who cared that I've been on here longer than my join date. I think my first fateful fight with you affected you so much that you will always remember me. How adorable.

And lol the sodomizing wasn't by any of your kind's hands. You can thank racist CoD fanboys for that.
#375Sneke989Posted 11/29/2012 8:46:33 PM
To answer TC's question, let me take you back in time. Back in 1994, we had a little 32bit system called the Playstation. It didn't have the processing power like today's systems that people take for granted. Scenes like the door opening were suppose to instill a sense of fear as you didn't know what was on the other side, on one occasion (RE2) when the door sequence was initiated zombies shuffled out. It was sort of a trademark of the series at the time.

Some of us like the classics because it reminds us of days gone by, for others it instills a sense of choice. In a generation where games hand you everything under the sun, (Need ammo? No prob here's 7000 rounds. Tired of using first aid? Regenerative health! ) the old games (old fashion item system) forced the player to make choices as to what you could carry. You actually had to think before you acted, something this generation I think is severely lacking.

The old games also contained substance like hidden characters, weapons, modes. Even a 2nd playthough to see what was happening with another character ala RE2's A and B save data.

I don't know, maybe I'm vain. I just wished people didn't settle for less these days and instead expected more out of their purchase. Why in the hell pay for things that should have already been in the game? (DLC I'm looking at you.)

When you can look at a 14 year old video game and find more content then a game of this generation, you know somethings not quite right...
#376PechabusterPosted 11/30/2012 5:38:22 AM
Sneke989 posted...
To answer TC's question, let me take you back in time. Back in 1994, we had a little 32bit system called the Playstation. It didn't have the processing power like today's systems that people take for granted. Scenes like the door opening were suppose to instill a sense of fear as you didn't know what was on the other side, on one occasion (RE2) when the door sequence was initiated zombies shuffled out. It was sort of a trademark of the series at the time. Except it quickly became frustrating since it happens on EVERY door. Makes you waste so much time. And of course scary? Lol you must've been 12 year old at the most at the time... And we all know how little judgment credit we give to them on the internet. And nostalgia makes it so that whatever scares us as a kid scares us as an adult

Some of us like the classics because it reminds us of days gone by exactly nostalgia, for others it instills a sense of choicestill, nostalgia, as the games have aged poorly for anyone who did''t play it at the time. I still like it but its not near the perfect that people claim it to be. In a generation where games hand you everything under the sun, (Need ammo? No prob here's 7000 rounds. Tired of using first aid? Regenerative health! ) the old games (old fashion item system) forced the player to make choices as to what you could carry. You actually had to think before you acted, something this generation I think is severely lacking.

#377bronzefrogPosted 11/30/2012 9:32:13 AM
Sneke989 posted...

When you can look at a 14 year old video game and find more content then a game of this generation, you know somethings not quite right...

Let me tell you about how you should throw away your games and play chess
---
Soul Eater - One Piece - Shingeki no Kyojin - Vinland Saga - Yu Yu Hakusho - Planetes - Break Blade - Beelzebub - The Breaker
#378Stygma69Posted 11/30/2012 12:27:34 PM
'cuz they are great games!
LOL
---
PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii ??
**** 'em all!
#379kanto_wandererPosted 11/30/2012 1:20:18 PM
bronzefrog posted...
Sneke989 posted...

Have you ever dropped a deck of cards? Well then have I got a game for you!
#380PechabusterPosted 12/1/2012 1:41:06 PM
kanto_wanderer posted...
bronzefrog posted...
Sneke989 posted...

Have you ever dropped a deck of cards? Well then have I got a game for you!

Looks at username. OH YOU