I understand now (Spoilers)

#1Nathbuds123Posted 11/10/2012 8:27:05 AM
I have recently completed Resident Evil Remake with Jill and now have a firm understanding on why people like the classic style of Resident evil. In the remake there is very little ammo. Ammo can't be wasted carelessly or you'll have trouble against enemies later in the game. You need to stategically kill Zombies by headshoting them or burning them or else they come back as dangerous Crimson Heads. (Think something similar to Bloodshots) The fixed camera also makes it hard to see what might be around the corner always making the player cautious. The music also is very creepy and I actually felt a little scared when playing. Also in this game you have limited number of saves and whenever you die, you begin at the last place you saved at. This forces the player to save wisely before dangerous events. The game itself is very non linear and encourages players to visit areas they haven't been in before. There is also many puzzles which cause you to think. Overall this is a very spooky game and I am currently playing as Chris now. I would assume 0,2,3 Nemesis, and Code Veronica X are the same as well.

The more recent Resident Evil games are pretty much completely different. (I'll talk mostly about 5 and 6) In these games its mostly objective based as you go from point A to point B. There is a lot more ammo. but it shouldn't be wasted carelessly though. Enemies are much more easier to kill especially since ammo for stonger weapons is a little more common. There is also the option for infinate ammo which generally makes everything much easier. One of the biggest differences is having a partner. Because you have a partner you never feel alone and know that someones got your back, this makes the player feel much safer. However this games do not scare me at all. While there are moments that cause your to panic such as a dangerous enemy that can intantly kill you there are not many moments like that. The music is varies on the situation but its not creepy at all. One thing I like about these games is there is a lot more to do. Theres a lot more enemies which means you can go gun happy and that at least makes it fun to mow down enemies such as zombies without any problem. Overall I like both styles of Resident Evill and understand why people like both. I look foward to playing the rest of the franchise. (The entire main franchise minus Zero is on the PSN Store for download, for anyone interested in playing the franchise) Thank you for reading about my opinions, if you have your opinion, feel free to type your own thoughts below.
#2zenandiPosted 11/10/2012 8:32:59 AM
Need more paragraphs.

But basically, yes. Pretty much.

The thing is, with the move from 5 onwards towards a co-op style, everything you mentioned that was great about the old style went flying out the window, and understandably.
#3HUNK_REVILPosted 11/10/2012 8:51:14 AM
Cannot forget these epic notes!!!

"Itchy Itchy Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty. //4. Itchy. Tasty"
---
STEAM ID: SilentzScreams / Youtube.com/residentfool
#4NeemohPosted 11/10/2012 8:54:05 AM
REmake and 4 are my favorite. Two different styles, but two of the greatest games ever IMO.
#5largerockPosted 11/10/2012 9:15:42 AM
I honestly got spooked on a few occasions in my Pro Lone Wolf run.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#6ravenscourgePosted 11/10/2012 10:03:12 AM
Pretty much summed up but every RE title has some form of infinite ammo you can unlock.

Also, some ppl seem to think re6 has it from the start and thats just not true.
---
XBL - k0mRaDe Kr1m5oN PSN - ravenscourge
Sindel, Kitana, and Raiden. <3
#7BlueRamzaPosted 11/10/2012 10:30:14 AM
Good overall review of the series strengths and weakness. There just has to be a reasonable way to balance between the action and the horror. Hopefully, Capcom will figure it out next time... or maybe they'll rip off Dead Space 3, which I believe by that time, will have it right.

Minor Dead Space 3 spoilers
The snow storm at the beginning of chapter two, where you can't see enemies right in front of your face, is a nod to Silent Hill fog. The Dead Space 3 game play show a ridiculous dangerous drill machine, which tries to mow you down in a confined area, while enemies attacking you. And the boss enemy in the demo look pretty dangerous as well and can kill you instantly, if your not careful or taken by surprise.

Blending horror and action can be done, you don't have to sell out to do it.
---
Snake: There's no happiness found in death, no peace either; I'm leaving here alive, because a strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
#8ZephranthesPosted 11/10/2012 10:59:25 AM
^ Snowstorms and drill machines? Sounds like Jake's campaign.
#9GoldsicklePosted 11/10/2012 11:00:29 AM
The only thing I like about the 'old style' is how the whole game isn't divided into chapters, requires backtracking to progress and is one big stage.
S-rank playthroughs is like one big puzzle for me.

Almost everything else, like the awkward controls & camera can f*** off.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#10Nathbuds123(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 5:03:09 PM
bump