why is this game even called resident evil?.

#21KiutsuPosted 11/23/2012 4:37:02 AM(edited)
Because there is an american band with the name Biohazard so they were forced to change the name of the game. The first game you are inside a mansion for the whole game and the residents inside are evil. Resident Evil.

Biohazard sounds better.
#22largerockPosted 11/23/2012 4:59:45 AM
desi_shinobi posted...
Don't know about that. Here the Royal Mail are usually known for delivering on time regardless of Oubtreak or not.

Moon or shine the mails gettin' there.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#23billyclark(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2012 7:09:01 AM
You been drinking too much moonshine.
#24SchillingerPosted 11/23/2012 7:58:46 AM
I always thought that the title was using resident in its adjective form, as in existing/intrinsic. There is evil resident in all of us, something along those lines. Maybe I overestimate the Capcom localisation department's intellect?
---
/thread
PSN: Anthropomancer
#25matt091282Posted 11/23/2012 8:03:22 AM
The 'Resident Evil' is of course refering to the undead and the virus in general.
#26schlaufuchsMIKEPosted 11/23/2012 8:17:22 AM
Kiutsu posted...
Because there is an american band with the name Biohazard so they were forced to change the name of the game. The first game you are inside a mansion for the whole game and the residents inside are evil. Resident Evil.

Biohazard sounds better.

I used to think so, too, but that was back when I was a Japanophile (not making any accusations, by the way). I think Resident Evil sounds more ominous and interesting, but after the first one, it kind of loses it's meaning. Especially considering they explain the cause of the "evil" monsters wandering around. Resident Evil 1 was the last scary RE game because of that move.

By the way, what was Capcom thinking? Of course people were going to complain about what they did with the series. Parasite Eve tried to do monsters like this back when Resident Evil was in it's prime, and it didn't do well (loved the game, btw). Didn't they learn anything?
---
"This is America - none of us are supposed to be here." ~ Peter Hornberger, 30Rock
#27largerockPosted 11/23/2012 9:54:28 AM
billyclark posted...
You been drinking too much moonshine.

How could I do that when I can't?
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#28PechabusterPosted 11/23/2012 5:15:59 PM
matt091282 posted...
The 'Resident Evil' is of course refering to the undead and the virus in general.

Except that's absolutely wrong. The series was always meant to be about Bio-organic weapons, to be about genetically created creatures for use in attacks. NOT about zombies. This is why the localized name made so many people think RE was about zombies when the actual name, Biohazard shows what the series was always meant to be.
#29Darkside_HazukiPosted 11/23/2012 5:22:35 PM
RE6 is considered a Resident Evil game because RE4 was considered a Resident Evil game. RE4 opened up a whole ton of crazy **** for the series. Enjoy.

On a bigger note:
Black Ops II is the biggest Doom rip-off I have ever played.
---
Metal Gear Online: Gabe LOGAN; Resident Evil Outbreak: Stick_Breitling
#30PechabusterPosted 11/23/2012 5:32:06 PM
Darkside_Hazuki posted...
RE6 is considered a Resident Evil game because RE4 was considered a Resident Evil game. RE4 opened up a whole ton of crazy **** for the series. Enjoy.

On a bigger note:
Black Ops II is the biggest Doom rip-off I have ever played.

The topic asks to why the series title is Resident Evil to begin with. None of the RE deals with a mansion besides the original.