why is this game even called resident evil?.

#31GradonTheFoxPosted 11/23/2012 6:41:17 PM
BioHazard is better simply because it makes perfect sense, especially in todays version of the series. Resident Evil doesn't fit to well with a nation wide bio outbreak. The series will still always be Resident Evil to me, but it should've really been called BioHazard since day one outside of Japan.
---
PSN: GradonPrower
Your mom looked at me in the most seductive way, I have never felt so raped.
#32Icefang526Posted 11/23/2012 6:51:39 PM
I actually like the game's western title. I always interpreted the title as referring to "the evil that resides within one's immediate vicinity." Doesn't that make sense? The evil could either be referring to Umbrella, the local pharmaceutical company, or the products of their research, which the unelightened raccoon resident would certainly have viewed as the result of some evil force at work.

In any case, the title is certainly MUCH better than the Taiwanese translation, which literally means "ancient castle of evil spirits." Lol! Talk about misleading titles....
#33PechabusterPosted 11/23/2012 6:59:22 PM
Icefang526 posted...
I actually like the game's western title. I always interpreted the title as referring to "the evil that resides within one's immediate vicinity." Doesn't that make sense? The evil could either be referring to Umbrella, the local pharmaceutical company, or the products of their research, which the unelightened raccoon resident would certainly have viewed as the result of some evil force at work.

In any case, the title is certainly MUCH better than the Taiwanese translation, which literally means "ancient castle of evil spirits." Lol! Talk about misleading titles....

lol!
#34MissNayePosted 11/23/2012 7:05:52 PM
Biohazard is a much better name for this series and it still bothers me to this day that the name was changed to the very lame "Resident Evil." Also, the games would have biohazard symbols and the name itself all over the place.

Funny thing about this series is the audio is in English in Japan, but with Japanese subtitles and the weapon names, notes, etc. would be in Japanese.
---
PSN: Ladynaye
Xbox Live: MorigannaX
#35AnimesetsunaPosted 11/23/2012 7:06:10 PM
Pechabuster posted...
Icefang526 posted...

lol!

Well, I couldn't agree more. They should just change to "Biohazard" instead "Ancient Castle of Evil Spirits". I don't see any spirits in the game.
---
http://setsunah.imgur.com
I want to hug Kana Hanazawa (>o<)
#36Icefang526Posted 11/23/2012 7:20:12 PM
Animesetsuna posted...
Pechabuster posted...
Icefang526 posted...

lol!

Well, I couldn't agree more. They should just change to "Biohazard" instead "Ancient Castle of Evil Spirits". I don't see any spirits in the game.

Ironically, our brothers on the mainland, who are notorious for massacring movie/game title translations, actually nailed it spot-on with this one. Their title "Sheng Hua Wei Ji" literally does mean "Biohazard." It's one of those rare instances where a literal, word-for-word translation of a title actually works, as is also the case with their translation of Final Fantasy. Speaking of which, our Taiwanese translation of that particular game is "Tai Kong Zhan Shi (Space Warriors)," which IMO takes the cake for atrociously-misleading game titles....
#37PechabusterPosted 11/23/2012 7:58:15 PM
Icefang526 posted...

Ironically, our brothers on the mainland, who are notorious for massacring movie/game title translations, actually nailed it spot-on with this one. Their title "Sheng Hua Wei Ji" literally does mean "Biohazard." It's one of those rare instances where a literal, word-for-word translation of a title actually works, as is also the case with their translation of Final Fantasy. Speaking of which, our Taiwanese translation of that particular game is "Tai Kong Zhan Shi (Space Warriors)," which IMO takes the cake for atrociously-misleading game titles....

My cousin talks about "sheng Hua wei jing" all the time.
#38riddlebox89Posted 11/23/2012 10:03:22 PM
Pechabuster posted...
matt091282 posted...
The 'Resident Evil' is of course refering to the undead and the virus in general.

Except that's absolutely wrong. The series was always meant to be about Bio-organic weapons, to be about genetically created creatures for use in attacks. NOT about zombies. This is why the localized name made so many people think RE was about zombies when the actual name, Biohazard shows what the series was always meant to be.

Except that you're the one who's wrong, zombies are also considered a bio organic creature created from the T/C virus, as the games are about such things, then technically they are about zombies.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#39AnimesetsunaPosted 11/24/2012 3:11:10 AM
Why Pacman have "Man" in the name and Pacman doesn't look like a man?
---
http://setsunah.imgur.com
I want to hug Kana Hanazawa (>o<)
#40billyclark(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 3:26:31 AM
Smoke your marijuanakka