Can we get back to basics for RE7?

#41XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 12/11/2012 11:44:12 PM
EduardoESR posted...
BlitzPanther posted...
Resident Evil use to be about not knowing whats around the next corner, eerie and suspenseful. I got a slight feel of the classic RE when playing as Leon on the campus level/town and the city after the zombie gas missile. The whole game should be like that, slow and eerie.

I'm sorry, but Leons campaign was quite a pathetic attempt at bringing back the old games style. They forced you to walk slow at the beggining and kept that scary atmosphere for 10 minutes, then it was pretty much the same action RE but with you killing zombies.

Yeah I agree, chapter 1 and the first part of chapter 2 I thought had a nice horror feel to it but then it went downhill. Chapter 2 in Sherry's campaign pulled it off pretty well too.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#42Vohn_ExelPosted 12/12/2012 12:06:57 AM
I'm actually fine with the pacing, so long as they break it up some. This game is very hallway narrow, and while that's fine for certain segments, I'd like to have big environments to explore again. Give us another mansion, or even a small corner of a huge town. A hospital could be interesting. Give us that, an apartment complex, and maybe a grocery store and then have a huge lab underneath it. Sure, that's kind of a repeat of RE games, but heck Tall Oaks wasn't exactly unique with it's huge lab and catacombs.

The controls have never been better, and I think they should keep it. Heck, imagine an RE game where ammo is as scarce as it used to be. Melee would be fine so long as you were fighting only a few zombies or creatures, but then you could end up swarmed and you'd either have to run or hope to survive, or use your precious ammo.

It gives much more personality to a set piece when you're traversing it two or three times, even just to run through to another piece, and than just blasting straight through it. Plus you can do more with the uncertainty. Let's go with the hospital idea. Say your current "hub" is the ER waiting room. This room leads to all kinds of places. You have to traverse it two or three times to get somewhere else. The first time, no enemies. The next, there might be tons of enemies. Then when you go back, no enemies again. This keeps the game fresh and exciting.

Wow...I wrote a lot. I could go on all day about this stuff, lol.
---
Black FC: 0003 3193 6389/
I have nothing witty to put here
#43PechabusterPosted 12/12/2012 12:10:29 AM
Vohn_Exel posted...
I'm actually fine with the pacing, so long as they break it up some. This game is very hallway narrow, and while that's fine for certain segments, I'd like to have big environments to explore again. Give us another mansion, or even a small corner of a huge town. A hospital could be interesting. Give us that, an apartment complex, and maybe a grocery store and then have a huge lab underneath it. Sure, that's kind of a repeat of RE games, but heck Tall Oaks wasn't exactly unique with it's huge lab and catacombs.

The controls have never been better, and I think they should keep it. Heck, imagine an RE game where ammo is as scarce as it used to be. Melee would be fine so long as you were fighting only a few zombies or creatures, but then you could end up swarmed and you'd either have to run or hope to survive, or use your precious ammo.

It gives much more personality to a set piece when you're traversing it two or three times, even just to run through to another piece, and than just blasting straight through it. Plus you can do more with the uncertainty. Let's go with the hospital idea. Say your current "hub" is the ER waiting room. This room leads to all kinds of places. You have to traverse it two or three times to get somewhere else. The first time, no enemies. The next, there might be tons of enemies. Then when you go back, no enemies again. This keeps the game fresh and exciting.

Wow...I wrote a lot. I could go on all day about this stuff, lol.

The Raskalpne ships were like that and they were one of the most annoying sections of the game (though admittedly they did have alot of tension)
#44Vohn_ExelPosted 12/12/2012 12:24:18 AM
Pechabuster posted...
Vohn_Exel posted...
Blah blah blah

The Raskalpne ships were like that and they were one of the most annoying sections of the game (though admittedly they did have alot of tension)

Ah I see. I haven't gotten to that point yet, these are just my feelings from the demo and where I'm at currently with Leon. I just don't agree with people that say they have to return to tank controls and stuff if they even want to go back to the old style. They could do great with the spirit of the older games and keep the new control scheme. I think it has the potential to be a great survival horror.
---
#45PechabusterPosted 12/12/2012 12:25:48 AM
Vohn_Exel posted...
Pechabuster posted...
Vohn_Exel posted...
Blah blah blah

Ah I see. I haven't gotten to that point yet, these are just my feelings from the demo and where I'm at currently with Leon. I just don't agree with people that say they have to return to tank controls and stuff if they even want to go back to the old style. They could do great with the spirit of the older games and keep the new control scheme. I think it has the potential to be a great survival horror.

Yeah theres a couple of sections that have no determined place to go where you have to find stuff in a maze like place.
#46Vohn_ExelPosted 12/12/2012 12:39:03 AM
Pechabuster posted...
Vohn_Exel posted...
Pechabuster posted...
Vohn_Exel posted...
Blah blah blah

Yeah theres a couple of sections that have no determined place to go where you have to find stuff in a maze like place.

Well that sounds kind of fun, actually, but I'm not really wanting a maze for what I'm talking about. Sure, you have to learn the lay of the land but that's all you do. It would be like the old games or oninusha, where you might pass through places two or three times, but the place itself isn't changed, just when a monster spawns. Then again, I might get to these sections and I'll find it really fun, lol.
---
#47GoldsicklePosted 12/12/2012 2:58:42 AM
It's maze-like, until you press L2 to point you to the next key item in case you're lost.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#48GLADI_ATORPosted 12/12/2012 5:16:52 AM
chaostdk posted...
BlitzPanther posted...
Resident Evil use to be about not knowing whats around the next corner, eerie and suspenseful. I got a slight feel of the classic RE when playing as Leon on the campus level/town and the city after the zombie gas missile. The whole game should be like that, slow and eerie.

Resident Evil used to be about protagonists placed in a situation where they have to deal with a biohazardous outbreak, usually while also dealing with some bio organic weapons.

oh wait, it still is.

exactly this. Also the game is really titled biohazard, just the english version is called Resident Evil. Tc is so silly.
---
official grand master assassin of everywhere of ACIII boards
#49BlitzPanther(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 12:05:07 PM
I am very much aware RE was originally titled "Biohazard" and had to be changed state side because of the band of the same name.