Skill Setting Clarification

#1MikeBastardPosted 12/4/2012 12:07:43 PM
I finished Leon's campaign and figured I'd go through it as Helena to pick up the rest of the Serpent Emblems. It seems like I'm taking a lot of damage even with Defense Lv. 3 equipped. It's also not as easy to break free from grabs as it was with the same skill set equipped on Leon. I mean, I'm not complaining. It's still easy enough for me to speed through, but it confuses me why it's not as easy as it was with Leon.

Someone let me know what's up, please. :)
---
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful." -Lucius Annaeus Seneca - PSN: MuckaStone
#2Volren617Posted 12/4/2012 12:11:47 PM
I don't know if there are specific differences with regards to escaping grapples (maybe you're on a higher difficulty?) but AFAIK the defense skills only apply to damage from gunfire, not regular damage.
#3MikeBastard(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 12:17:50 PM
Volren617 posted...
I don't know if there are specific differences with regards to escaping grapples (maybe you're on a higher difficulty?) but AFAIK the defense skills only apply to damage from gunfire, not regular damage.

Yeah, I thought so too. I also seem to be taking a lot more damage with Defense Lv. 3 while playing as Helena. Perhaps it's all in my head as I had spent some time farming Leon Chapter 2 on "easy." I guess "easy" is just way, way easier than "normal."
---
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful." -Lucius Annaeus Seneca - PSN: MuckaStone
#4Volren617Posted 12/4/2012 12:25:26 PM
Oh okay. Yeah that sounds like your issue. Amateur is really kiddy gloves stuff. Normal isn't particularly difficult but the difference between them is still pretty wide.
#5Hayato182006Posted 12/4/2012 12:31:48 PM
Volren617 posted...

That isn't true. The Defense skill decreases damage from all attacks. The difficulties determine how difficult it is to escape from grabs.

Amateur automatically gives you a 50% increase in defense. Defense Lv. 3 gives you 50% increased defense. Grab escapes/button mashes/rotation actions are twice as fast on Amateur difficulty. Normal doesn't give you any defense bonuses. The difference between Amateur and Normal is pretty big.
---
PSN: Hayato182004 | MHTri Name: H Man | ID: PEECKX | Hunter Rank: 51+ US Server
http://www.youtube.com/user/Hayato182004
#6Volren617Posted 12/4/2012 12:42:32 PM
Interesting. I did try equipping a defense skill in Leon's campaign but somehow got the impression that it didn't really change anything. Might just be me not paying attention though.
#7Hayato182006Posted 12/4/2012 1:15:34 PM
Here's a good example:

If you get grabbed by a zombie on Professional difficulty, with Defense Lv. 3, you can get by losing two and a half blocks of health. Without Defense Lv. 3, if you don't have the Breakout skill on, there's a good chance that zombie grab will put you straight into dying or possibly with one block of health left.
---
PSN: Hayato182004 | MHTri Name: H Man | ID: PEECKX | Hunter Rank: 51+ US Server
http://www.youtube.com/user/Hayato182004
#8jpv2000Posted 12/4/2012 2:28:49 PM
I went straight from amateur to pro mode, and didn't notice any difference. I did have Breakout and Defense level 3 on.
---
More and more, I find myself wondering if it's all worth fighting for...for a future without fear...yeah, it's worth it. (Chris Redfield)