Capcom in crisis! Losing money on every game, will they stay in buisiness?

#1skermacPosted 12/22/2012 11:55:45 AM
Capcom crowed that it had shipped 4.5 million copies of Resident Evil 6 in October, but from the sound of things the company has struggled to translate those sales to retail outlets into actual game sales.

The publisher has over-promised and under-delivered on global sales forecasts in the past. In fiscal 2010, Capcom predicted that it would sell 2.2 million copies of Lost Planet 2, but the game sold so poorly that it was forced to downgrade its profit forecast by 41 percent. The year before, Capcomís financial performance predicted 1.5 million in sales for Bionic Commando and 2 million copies for Dark Void, which in reality sold just 700,000 and 520,000 copies as a result. Capcom blamed the performance of those titles on handing new intellectual properties to Western developers (GRIN and Airtight Games respectively), swearing that only established franchises would be developed by non-Capcom studios in the future.

The risks of releasing didnít damn those games, though. Resident Evil 6 is a sequel to one of the most successful franchises in video game history. Capcom needs to recognize that its every one of its major failures in recent years was caused by marketing-focused development. Capcom shifted away from taking creative risks like funding internal studios like Clover (Viewtiful Joe, Okami) during the past console generation and invested instead in trying to cater to establish tastes. As a result it drove away its best creators and was left with half-baked sequels to moldering IPs. Itís maintained a stable domestic business in Japan with portable games like Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney, but its international business continues to decline.

Capcomís current plans are to expand even further into the international market. Thatís all well and good, but unless Capcom can recapture the creative spirit that defined the company in the years before this console generation, it will continue to watch its games fail, just like Resident Evil 6.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/capcom-crisis-resident-evil-6-sales-failure-embodies-publisher-woes/#ixzz2FoAuQxDr
#2largerockPosted 12/22/2012 11:58:32 AM
And is anybody really surprised? Plus they got all dat big wads of cash from M$.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#3skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2012 12:00:34 PM
largerock posted...
And is anybody really surprised? Plus they got all dat big wads of cash from M$.

I'm not surprised at LP2, I couldn't wait to play that game but it sucked so bad I could barely finish it. Then I got rid of it.
#4aPimp_named_leEPosted 12/22/2012 12:12:14 PM
oh look, another one of these topics again. how... original...
---
~I will floss my teeth with your soul~
#5edward18Posted 12/22/2012 12:13:06 PM
let's hope they finally die ^_^
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#6IlDankoPosted 12/22/2012 12:13:06 PM
Maybe they should think of retaking the dino crisis series, forget about what they did in 3 and bring back regina... And they must do something really special for RE7..
---
"It's almost a shame to smoke it. It's like killing a unicorn... with, like, a bomb"- Saul Silver ....PSN: Dan21993
#7IlDankoPosted 12/22/2012 12:16:31 PM
edward18 posted...
let's hope they finally die ^_^

If you're now at a 0.0000001% of possibilities of getting MML3 then that would leave you with a -125% of chances for getting it
---
"It's almost a shame to smoke it. It's like killing a unicorn... with, like, a bomb"- Saul Silver ....PSN: Dan21993
#8ZeeDoggePosted 12/22/2012 12:21:05 PM
The IGN article said even with lower sales, they were in the black
#9boofiePosted 12/22/2012 12:29:46 PM
aPimp_named_leE posted...
oh look, another one of these topics again. how... original...

Maybe we can start suggesting topic titles to freshen it up. Like: Breaking news! Capcomz is in the toilet! Discuss...
#10xsniper90xPosted 12/22/2012 12:33:25 PM
capcom dropped the ball once they cancelled megaman legends 3. they know this very well.

they did gain some respect from dragons dogma, but that only lasted so long once they made this game.
---
TO ALL MODS ON GAMEFAQS!! QUIT THIS STUPID CRAP ABOUT ME FLAMING OR CENSOR BYPASSING. ITS GETTING OLD
psn: hitman555z