What has the old re games got that re6 has not got?

#1DarkD3stinyPosted 1/1/2013 6:41:49 AM
Ive been thinking about this. Re6 has survival horror if you put it on no hope mode. In Adas campaign you can walk by yourself. Theres atmosphere and puzzles in re6 also. I see haters making bland hate/dislike statements but how about actually explaining what the old re games have that re6 does not have. If you haven't played re6 please dont comment thanks.
---
GT :- DarkD3stiny 666 / PSN ID :- Private.
#2SnuffSevenfoldXPosted 1/1/2013 6:53:02 AM
A suspense atmosphere, as in you're unsure about moving forward through that door, or if you have enough ammo to take on these zombies etc...I still enjoy re6 co-op, alot, it just feels fun but...I think it was a Gamersutra (sp?) article that said it best.

RE6 has completely let go of Mikami's original vision, whether it be early Resident Evil stuff, or Resident Evil 4. Even RE4 had atmosphere in spades, and granted RE6 tries to do something different with it being more...thrill of the moment, adrenaline etc but it's completely lost sight of where it came from.

Not against the series evolving, obviously, but that's what RE4 was. Keeping the atmosphere but upping the action. If RE5 had kept the features they talked about when the game was still in the conceptual stage it probably would have because they originally were going to have perspiration, heat exhaustion etc and the idea that the Majini would linger in areas you frequented...

That article also mentions one thing that's true. RE6 is a hodgepot of different game styles all trying to provide a snapshot into the RE universe. Problem is, none of them do it particularly well. Leon tries to be more horror-ish and has a decent enough opening in terms of location and atmosphere. Then when he gets to China it's completely eschewed in favour of...you must stop the bad guy before the world is doomed...

Chris' tries to be a more traditional action game, but the shooting mechanics are fine like the rest of the game, the cover mechanics are only a bit better than RE5s. Jake's is a big ol' mix, and Ada's is a "greatest hits" of the other 3 campaigns.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watchfeature=player_embedded&v=cJbTyFzqZu0
#3good_tobiPosted 1/1/2013 6:53:50 AM
old re games got :

"decision making" like in RE3 from old games
no multiplayer and ridiculous online events

DarkD3stiny posted...
I see haters making bland hate/dislike statements

True.
---
Save tigers from extinction.
#4DarkD3stiny(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 7:11:15 AM
SnuffSeven re6 is also about keeping the atmosphere but upping the action. Whats wrong with having action in a game when Capcom has also given the old re fans what they asked for? Old re fans just want re to be 100 % survival horror or its seen as rubbish. If you play no hope mode you get that suspense atmosphere and shortage of ammo feel. Re4 didn't have much atmosphere, in the beginning it did but once you got out of the village it went downhill. I dont understand why you brang re4 up anyway when this topics about re6 and the old re games e.g. re1, 2 and 3.
---
#5DarkD3stiny(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 7:28:10 AM(edited)
good_tobi posted...
old re games got :

DarkD3stiny posted...

True.

decision making? you mean ... oh 98 % of these doors are locked but this door is open ... or ... I have to do option A and option B but which one should I do first? ... re6 has decision making like this ... which campaign am I going to play first?/which campaign am I going to play next? ... re6 having mulitiplayer and online events are added bonuses.
---
#6Spdwyblu05xrunPosted 1/1/2013 7:26:29 AM
Are there any LICKERS in this game?
---
AINTRY!!!?? You ain't never gonna get down to Aintry.
#7good_tobiPosted 1/1/2013 7:26:58 AM
DarkD3stiny posted...
good_tobi posted...
old re games got :

DarkD3stiny posted...

True.

decision making? you mean ... oh 98 % of these doors are locked but this door is open ... or ... I have to do option A and option B but which one should I do first? ... re6 having mulitiplayer and online events are added bonuses.

hmm, this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPekdQx7lu4#t=14m03s

having multiplayer and online events is what makes it anything but NOT resident evil game for me. They can come up with lots of better things as added bonuses than these.
---
Save tigers from extinction.
#8ZDrifter9000Posted 1/1/2013 7:36:12 AM(edited)
Well...the old games have much more of an emphasis on the puzzles actually, there wasn't one moment in any of the RE6 campaigns (I haven't played Ada's yet though) that I actually had to stop and think about something...even the boss fights are extremely straight forward. However, in the Original RE's I can recall actually getting stuck and having to use my brain to figure something out (beyond aim+shoot)...so there's that.

They also had more of a Survival Horror feel to them, even the No Hope Mode...it just doesn't feel like Survival Horror, I read somewhere, a person called it ''Survival Action''. I think this term fits Resident Evil 6 (+5) perfectly.

The old games also have: Nemesis, Hunters, Spiders, Lickers, Tyrants....

Resident Evil 6 has....Tyrannosaurus Rex Mutation, complete with full backwards mutation to Human form...with pants still perfectly intact.
---
psn - ZDRIFTER9000_XII
~ Albert Wesker Fan Club ~
#9DarkD3stiny(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 7:35:24 AM
good I can't see links. good the question of my topic is this ... What has the old re games got that re6 has not got? ... so please stick to answering that question or not atall.
---
#10MashYouGoodPosted 1/1/2013 7:36:12 AM
What has the old re games got that re6 has not got?

- atmosphere
- some scares
- good gameplay (for their time)
- palatable narrative, albethey dumb, but still better than 5 or 6
- loot
- replay value