So why does capcom hate the classic female leads?

#21tevin1569Posted 1/2/2013 12:57:30 PM
Nolax posted...
Why do people want Claire? What makes her so special?
She's just as bland as the other characters and she has nothing that makes her stand out.

I kind of agree with this...She also only ended up in games because of bad luck and her brother..But I can see her having DLC prior to 2013..looking for Chris or something.
---
"How about you come down here and I'll show you"- Ada Wong to Derek Simmons (RE6)
#22foodeater4Posted 1/2/2013 1:10:43 PM
I kinda agree with TC. I would like to see Claire of Jill playable as main or co-main characters in some more of the main RE games. Also wouldnt have minded Sheva back as Chris's partner or somewhere else. I only just started RE6 last night though so dont kill me if she does make a cameo somewhere.
#23sevil_yelimsPosted 1/2/2013 1:14:14 PM
Capcom are not masterful story-tellers. The concept of a women in their mid-to-late thirties or older *starring* in what's now an action series really escapes their way of thinking so they have no desire to design a game around that.

Now an older male character on the other hand is a different matter. Older action heroes is a concept that Capcom can back behind.

Look at the lineup of Resident Evil games. Factor in the number of male characters in their thirties or older and compare that to female characters. The latter is exceptionally low.

Jill, Claire and Rebecca came into the series at 23, 19 and 18.

Now look at recent female characters: RE4: Ashley-20, RE5: Sheva-23, RE6: Helena-24/Sherry-27.

Even female villains like Excella and Alexia were in their late twenties. Jill was in her early thirties in RE5, but she was not the star. What's funny is that despite her age she is still more popular than the much younger Sheva and had DLC where you could play as her more. At best, your only exception is Ada Wong although she doesn't actually star in any of the actual games unlike Jill. The problem with that though is Capcom now refuses to list Ada's age (which should be 39 by the time of RE6) and instead they listed her current age as 'unknown'.

This also can factor into why Revelations was a prequel to RE5 as opposed to a sequel. It's easy for them to have Jill star in a game where she is still in her 20s.
---
Capcom Math: 4 + 5 = 6 #RE6
#24sbn4Posted 1/2/2013 3:39:38 PM
I think Claire is a more believable character compared to most. Her VA does a great job of bringing her character to life. And she's a civilian like most RE fans. She's not a commando or part of an elite squad, so she's more relatable. She's one of the more human characters in the series.

As for Jill, I like her but I feel like she's become more and more irrelevant. Revelations was Jill's story for the most part, but it didn't develop the character nor did it matter to the overall story arc. She was more important in RE5 as a side character than the main in Revelations. She's just fan service at this point. She's the most boring and bland character in the series to boot. Even as a stand alone game, I don't see much reason to bring her back without Chris. Chris has exceeded her in terms of importance to the story.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#25CTU_007Posted 1/2/2013 3:47:40 PM
Problem with Jill is for the past decade she has been neglected to being Chris' sidekick instead of being developed as her own character. Even in Revelations her character still revolved around Chris.

RE3 and RE6 are arguably considered to be Jill and Chris' best portrayals, and also happen to be the games they have absolutely nothing to do with each other. For Jill to become relevant again, she really needs to be seperated from him permanantly.
#26sbn4Posted 1/2/2013 3:52:17 PM
Problem with Jill is for the past decade she has been neglected to being Chris' sidekick instead of being developed as her own character. Even in Revelations her character still revolved around Chris.

Being tied to Chris isn't her problem. She's just boring. She's the token hot, take charge female in the series, which is what she was in RE3 also. I didn't find her all that compelling in RE3 even. In fact, I found Carlos more entertaining.

And I personally still think that Chris had a strong showing in RE5, as did Jill. In fact I feel RE5 Jill is her strongest showing. Her VA was terrific, she had a sense of humor, and she was sexy as hell too.
---
#27Infectedglore2Posted 1/2/2013 3:55:29 PM
Jill has less personality than Chris.
#28Plant42Posted 1/2/2013 4:15:14 PM
Lemme sum up Chris:

Oh I've struggled hard but lemme keep struggling!

Sad that after starring in 5 and 6 he is still no where near as interesting as Jill was on PS1.
#29sbn4Posted 1/2/2013 4:27:15 PM(edited)
As opposed to Jill who just falls on her ass all day and needs help from Barry on a constant basis. Much better.

Sad that after starring in 5 and 6 he is still no where near as interesting as Jill was on PS1.

Lol. Jill was the most boring character in RE1. Barry is what made her worthwhile. Chris was funnier at least. But considering your bias I doubt you'd see it.
---
#30CTU_007Posted 1/2/2013 4:27:45 PM
RE3 Jill was no more bland than anyone else from the PS1 era.