Anyone think Chris should've (massive spoilers)

#11DetBeauregardPosted 1/3/2013 8:01:02 PM
Yeah, it would have made more sense. But Capcom would have risked alienating thousands of Chris fanboys if they did so, thus they killed off the generic new soldier character.
#12Starsoul_klrPosted 1/3/2013 8:09:55 PM
Part of me wants to see a character like Chris die by saving as many people as he could rather then have him grow old and die. I could easily see the ending have gone either way as Chris or Piers would have sacrificed themselves for their comrades.

I find there are many tragic deaths in the series with many characters introduced in that game.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Starsoulklr
I'm an Ultra Nerd for Video Games so see what I've got for viewing.
#13Dicer7Posted 1/3/2013 8:20:27 PM
I think Chris dying at the end could've been done in good taste. Even if it would seem cliche nearly EVERY ending in the series is cliche (kill the bad guy and ride off into the sun). With all his men dying throughout the game him sacrificing himself for the only one left alive would have been fitting retribution.

However, I'm pretty satisfied with the ending we got. I applaud Capcom for not giving us a totally expected ending. Honestly I didn't think Capcom had the balls to kill either of them.
---
PSN/GT: Dicer7
#14karyotypePosted 1/4/2013 11:26:04 AM
Dicer7 posted...
I think Chris dying at the end could've been done in good taste. Even if it would seem cliche nearly EVERY ending in the series is cliche (kill the bad guy and ride off into the sun). With all his men dying throughout the game him sacrificing himself for the only one left alive would have been fitting retribution.

a very good reason why he should have died at the end.
#15YunFang1130Posted 1/4/2013 6:53:55 PM(edited)
longstorm555 posted...
they said they were afraid of fan backlash, afraid of doing it for the shock value and so they gave the story another direction.

they regretted the idea of killing chris the same way they regretted the idea of killing off leon in two almost finished games and jill in re5.

I know and I understand what your saying, but this is why Resident Evil games are starting to become predictable. There's no feeling that the main characters could be in danger, or suspense anymore. It's always the sidekicks doing all the work because some fans aren't willing to accept change (no offense to anyone). Also, I somewhat doubt the RE fanbase would be upset if they killed off Chris. I think most of that backlash would come from people who pair characters with Chris (I should make a poll? ). If not killing off the character, they should've at least went through with the retirement plan.
#16loverboyyssPosted 1/4/2013 7:22:34 PM
YunFang1130 posted...
longstorm555 posted...
they said they were afraid of fan backlash, afraid of doing it for the shock value and so they gave the story another direction.

they regretted the idea of killing chris the same way they regretted the idea of killing off leon in two almost finished games and jill in re5.

I know and I understand what your saying, but this is why Resident Evil games are starting to become predictable. There's no feeling that the main characters could be in danger, or suspense anymore. It's always the sidekicks doing all the work because some fans aren't willing to accept change (no offense to anyone). Also, I somewhat doubt the RE fanbase would be upset if they killed off Chris. I think most of that backlash would come from people who pair characters with Chris (I should make a poll? ). If not killing off the character, they should've at least went through with the retirement plan.

Please tell me you were joking when you said people would be disappointed would be the ones who pair Chris with someone.

You have no idea how huge his fanbase is, do you?

Like Longstorm has been saying, go to Capcom Unity. Do it. Go over there, search Chris Redfield and you will see how much of a loved and extremely important character he is. He might not be the most popular, but there would have been a lot of fans upset and a lot of people dropping this franchise if he had died.

Him dying is what it would have been predictable. People thought he was going die WAY BEFORE RE6's release. Everybody was expecting it, especially the haters and hardcore Leon fanboys. This board became a joke with topics of the like. Leon fanboys mocking Chris' fans, saying it was his final game.

Even the guy from Rely on Horror thought Chris would be sent off.

Hell, my father thought the same thing.

It was too predictable. By offing Piers, the future, the could have been awesome main character, Capcom was original and got their shock value without it being cheap. In fact, it turned Piers into a hero and made fans like him even more.

Btw, what do you expect to accomplish with a poll? Also, polls can easily be manipulated. Especially here. Alt accounts voting for their favorite character over and over again. It's also easy to just turn off your modem, change your IP adress and vote here as many times as you want. Polls don't accomplish anything. Not on this site.
#17YunFang1130Posted 1/4/2013 8:55:29 PM
loverboyyss posted...

Please tell me you were joking when you said people would be disappointed would be the ones who pair Chris with someone.

Nope. And I didn't say the "Chris shippers" would be the only ones disappointed. I said most (not all) of the backlash would probably come from that part of the fanbase. Of course, there would be other people upset. It would be the same for any other character.

Like Longstorm has been saying, go to Capcom Unity. Do it. Go over there, search Chris Redfield and you will see how much of a loved and extremely important character he is. He might not be the most popular, but there would have been a lot of fans upset and a lot of people dropping this franchise if he had died.

No need. I've been there before. But, here:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/resident_evil/go/thread/view/7391/29441839/piers-nivans-ending-spoilers?pg=1

http://www.capcom-unity.com/resident_evil/go/thread/view/7391/29410077/dissapointed-with-chris-ending-spoiler

http://www.capcom-unity.com/resident_evil/go/thread/view/7391/29477175/thoughts-on-piers-warning-spoilers?post_id=525785901#525785901

Of course, there are some people who are satisfied with the ending. But, a good number of members agree that the roles should've been reversed.

Him dying is what it would have been predictable. People thought he was going die WAY BEFORE RE6's release. Everybody was expecting it, especially the haters and hardcore Leon fanboys. This board became a joke with topics of the like. Leon fanboys mocking Chris' fans, saying it was his final game.

I don't see how it would be, but I respect your opinion. It would've been something new which I think this franchise needs. And I wasn't here before RE6. All I remember was people speculating that something big was going to happen to Chris, after the first trailer was shown.

One more thing too.. I wasn't rooting for Chris to go in this game. I would've accepted the option of him retiring too.
#18loverboyyssPosted 1/4/2013 9:19:31 PM
YunFang1130 posted...

Nope. And I didn't say the "Chris shippers" would be the only ones disappointed. I said most (not all) of the backlash would probably come from that part of the fanbase. Of course, there would be other people upset. It would be the same for any other character.

No need. I've been there before. But, here:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/resident_evil/go/thread/view/7391/29441839/piers-nivans-ending-spoilers?pg=1

http://www.capcom-unity.com/resident_evil/go/thread/view/7391/29410077/dissapointed-with-chris-ending-spoiler

http://www.capcom-unity.com/resident_evil/go/thread/view/7391/29477175/thoughts-on-piers-warning-spoilers?post_id=525785901#525785901

Of course, there are some people who are satisfied with the ending. But, a good number of members agree that the roles should've been reversed.

I don't see how it would be, but I respect your opinion. It would've been something new which I think this franchise needs. And I wasn't here before RE6. All I remember was people speculating that something big was going to happen to Chris, after the first trailer was shown.

One more thing too.. I wasn't rooting for Chris to go in this game. I would've accepted the option of him retiring too.

Did you bother to read those threads? All of them or did you just take the tile and ran with it?

First topic had, at the most, five or six people thinking Chris should have died. A discussion then broke out. The rest started talking about Piers, Wesker's return and how horrible of an idea that is and how gald theyw ere Chris got to live.

Second topic was made by the same guy that commented on the first topic and had the same people who commented on the first topic commenting on this one.

This is a comment, one of the many btw, about Chris on the topic you gave me:

'
'I actually felta little sick to my stomach when Chris said (from memory here), "I'm going to turn in my gun... And I'd behonored if you were the one replacing me."

Very glad Capcom didn't end up going that route in the end. There was actually some genuine emotion in a character death for, like, the first time in the RE writers' history.'

Third topic they talk about Piers' possible return.

What were you trying to prove here?

Did you bother to check out the topic about the girl who thanked Capcom for not killing Chris? Did you bother to check out the responses to that topic Did you bother to check out the other topics that were in favor of Chris living?

Nope.

You gave me links which had THE SAME people on DIFFERENT topics commenting on the same thing.

What, you expect to take those few people who hate Chris and wanted him dead as ultimate truth?

Lightining_Fan is actually a user here and is one of the ones who create topics such as Chris sucks or Chris had to die.

Chris' fanbase, his actual fanbase, is huge. He's beend escribed as the face of the franchise together with Jill. So...yeah.

Nice try though, YunFang :)
#19YunFang1130Posted 1/4/2013 11:27:54 PM(edited)
Okay? Wow... I guess you didn't read the part where I said there were people (in those threads) who are satisfied with the ending too... You know what? Forget it. I really don't understand what you have with Capcom Unity, but I don't see it to be different from any other Resident Evil boards. Are there official Capcom employees? Yes. But, they rarely post in the RE6 forum or discuss the plot with them. It's just fans discussing, and speculating just like any gaming website. And I'm not dissing that community either. I really like the people there. But, moving on...

That Capcom Unity isn't some Chris Redfield fanclub like you think it is. There are people (who don't hate Chris) that would've been satisfied with the roles reversed, who don't care, and who are happy with how things turned out. I don't need to search through threads to know how Chris is loved in the RE world. That's common sense.

What, you expect to take those few people who hate Chris and wanted him dead as ultimate truth?

I can say the same to you. For all I know, those people "relieved" might have hated Piers. But, whatever... I tried to prove that not everyone shares the same opinion.

Chris' fanbase, his actual fanbase, is huge. He's beend escribed as the face of the franchise together with Jill. So...yeah.

It doesn't matter. Wesker has a huge fanbase too and he died. And I'm pretty sure characters like Leon are favored just as much as Chris.
#20karyotypePosted 1/5/2013 7:07:57 AM
YunFang1130 posted...
Okay? Wow... I guess you didn't read the part where I said there were people (in those threads) who are satisfied with the ending too... You know what? Forget it. I really don't understand what you have with Capcom Unity, but I don't see it to be different from any other Resident Evil boards. Are there official Capcom employees? Yes. But, they rarely post in the RE6 forum or discuss the plot with them. It's just fans discussing, and speculating just like any gaming website. And I'm not dissing that community either. I really like the people there. But, moving on...

That Capcom Unity isn't some Chris Redfield fanclub like you think it is. There are people (who don't hate Chris) that would've been satisfied with the roles reversed, who don't care, and who are happy with how things turned out. I don't need to search through threads to know how Chris is loved in the RE world. That's common sense.

I can say the same to you. For all I know, those people "relieved" might have hated Piers. But, whatever... I tried to prove that not everyone shares the same opinion.

It doesn't matter. Wesker has a huge fanbase too and he died. And I'm pretty sure characters like Leon are favored just as much as Chris.