Anyone think Chris should've (massive spoilers)

#31Blackmarvel79Posted 1/5/2013 9:25:02 AM
hikari198 posted...
died instead of Piers? It would be better to kill off one of the series' main protagonist and have someone replace him. I would be more interested in 7 if Jake, Piers, and a newcomer starred alongside with some old faces like Claire or Jill. Claire and Piers as partners=best game ever.

No. Main character lives. Throwaway dies. Peirs=Steve.
---
Currently playing The Mass Effect Trilogy.
#32loverboyyssPosted 1/5/2013 9:30:27 AM
chaoscontrol325 posted...
loverboyyss posted...
I think so, yes. And it's not due to favoritism either since I'm actually quite fond of Chris and wasn't overly fond of Piers. It's like when I roleplay. sometimes I let my characters die because it provides very valuable character progression for other characters. It makes the story much more interesting.

Piers dying provided the character devlopment Chris needed to let go of his past, get back on his track and back to being the good man he was.

If Chris had died instead, what character progression would be there for Piers? He would have carried on like he was doing when Chris was missing.

What, Claire would come back?

That's a cheap shot and bad writing. Can't think of a better way to bring back a character, so another one gets killed.

Yes, Chris get's character development, but he's already a very well developed character in the series and while Piers' death gave Chris more character development, Chris' death would've granted significant development for every character he had ever touched in the series like Jill, Claire, Sheva and Leon, not to mention the hundreds of soldiers that perceive him as a legend that might become inspired by him and rise up to become new important characters. I know which death sends the story to a more interesting place.

No, it wouldn't.

He doesn't even have any kind of history with Leon, they met a few times, it wouldn't be abig impact.

Claire, we've never even seen them together after CV. It's a little hard to show character development when we haven't ehard from Claire in over a while and the only reason she comes back is because of his death.

Jill, we've seen how that went down when Chris thought she* was dead. Do you really want to repeat a plot? So Chris dies, only for real, and Jill goes into a frenzy and then overcomes herself and lets go of Chris and honors his memory? Same thing Claire woudl do, I'm guessing.

Sheva, they've only been partnered up in 5. We don't know much about her. If him going missing wasn't enough to bring her back, only mentioned in a file, then his death woudln't do much either.

The hundreds of soldiers that perceive hims as legend would have carried on like all soldiers do. By letting Chris live, these soldiers now feel more than confident to overcome any battle and obstacle because they know they can surive if they're willing to fight for their lives. They know they can go through hell and back and still come back. Because Chris did.

You don't know which death sends the story to a more interesting place because all you've give me here are cliches that every, every fanfiction writer or beginners use. I can only imagine how your roleplaying sessions go.
#33chaoscontrol325Posted 1/5/2013 9:48:53 AM
loverboyyss posted...
loverboyyss posted...
I think so, yes. And it's not due to favoritism either since I'm actually quite fond of Chris and wasn't overly fond of Piers. It's like when I roleplay. sometimes I let my characters die because it provides very valuable character progression for other characters. It makes the story much more interesting.

Piers dying provided the character devlopment Chris needed to let go of his past, get back on his track and back to being the good man he was.

If Chris had died instead, what character progression would be there for Piers? He would have carried on like he was doing when Chris was missing.

What, Claire would come back?

That's a cheap shot and bad writing. Can't think of a better way to bring back a character, so another one gets killed.

Yes, Chris get's character development, but he's already a very well developed character in the series and while Piers' death gave Chris more character development, Chris' death would've granted significant development for every character he had ever touched in the series like Jill, Claire, Sheva and Leon, not to mention the hundreds of soldiers that perceive him as a legend that might become inspired by him and rise up to become new important characters. I know which death sends the story to a more interesting place.

No, it wouldn't.

He doesn't even have any kind of history with Leon, they met a few times, it wouldn't be abig impact.

Claire, we've never even seen them together after CV. It's a little hard to show character development when we haven't ehard from Claire in over a while and the only reason she comes back is because of his death.

Jill, we've seen how that went down when Chris thought she* was dead. Do you really want to repeat a plot? So Chris dies, only for real, and Jill goes into a frenzy and then overcomes herself and lets go of Chris and honors his memory? Same thing Claire woudl do, I'm guessing.

Sheva, they've only been partnered up in 5. We don't know much about her. If him going missing wasn't enough to bring her back, only mentioned in a file, then his death woudln't do much either.

The hundreds of soldiers that perceive hims as legend would have carried on like all soldiers do. By letting Chris live, these soldiers now feel more than confident to overcome any battle and obstacle because they know they can surive if they're willing to fight for their lives. They know they can go through hell and back and still come back. Because Chris did.

You don't know which death sends the story to a more interesting place because all you've give me here are cliches that every, every fanfiction writer or beginners use. I can only imagine how your roleplaying sessions go.

Probably because you only see the same potential as the fanfictioners and crappy roleplayers do.

It's all about potential. The potential of Piers' death reaches only a single character, which is Chris, while the potential of Chris' death reaches much, -much- wider.

If CAPCOM would've killed off Chris and decided to go the straight path and not really put effort into the following story, then yes, pretty much all of your predictions would ring true. But there's always potential for more, potential that can be made into a -lot- of things and events. Chris just has more of this.

Then again, this is CAPCOM we're talking about. Nine times out of ten, they will take the straight path when it comes to writing so I guess you'd be right in the end.
---
PSN: Lazuri65 XBL:LazuriXIII
If you don't write you're from GameFAQs and what board in the friend request, you will be denied.
#34loverboyyssPosted 1/5/2013 10:02:11 AM

Probably because you only see the same potential as the fanfictioners and crappy roleplayers do.

It's all about potential. The potential of Piers' death reaches only a single character, which is Chris, while the potential of Chris' death reaches much, -much- wider.

If CAPCOM would've killed off Chris and decided to go the straight path and not really put effort into the following story, then yes, pretty much all of your predictions would ring true. But there's always potential for more, potential that can be made into a -lot- of things and events. Chris just has more of this.

Then again, this is CAPCOM we're talking about. Nine times out of ten, they will take the straight path when it comes to writing so I guess you'd be right in the end.

No, sweetie, that's you.

There is no potential to be seen here. What do you think they'd do, an elaborate story regarding Chris' death? Like they did Wesker?

The're no other path than the 'straight' path. The only time Capcom managed to be surprising and original was when they offed Piers, who nobody or very few people, expected to go.

There's nothing to write about. You want Chris dead for the potential of sending other characters to the fight, for them to come back---that's already cheap.

It's so easy to kill a character for story development, it's so easy to kill a brother to bring the sister, kill the girlfriend to enrage the boyfriend, kill the parents to put determination in the children, kill the children to break off the parents, kill the hero to bring on the heroine, it's so damn easy to make the hero fall and then have him sacrifice himself in the end.

It's easy.
Cheap.
Overdone.
Bad writing.

It's hard, however, to have a love story, to have a friendship, to have loyalty displayed and explored and done well. It's hard to make the hero survive without cheap shock value. It's hard to make a hero go through all that crap, go through his worst, become addicted to something and then come out on top, clean, without dying.

Not to mention the message some people are passing here.

That because Chris had stooped so low then he had no reason to gon on living and could have easily traded places. You seem to miss this part of the story.
Chris recovered not only his will to fight, but himself and it was all thanks to Piers.

See how beautiful this is? How beautiful of a message his campaign is?

Being depressed and lost doesn't mean depressed and lost forever. You can change. You can get better. As long as you accept responsabilities for your actions, let your past go, accept your mistakes and flaws and the sacrifice other people have done for you.

How would that message still get through if Piers had lived?

You're depressed, you have nothing to fight for....so you sacrifice yourself because your life is a mess?

That's horrible.

Chris and Piers thought until the end. Piers' sacrifice didn't feel cheap and out of place. It served its purpose.
#35asdasdsfsfPosted 1/5/2013 5:16:08 PM
I agree with loverboyys.

Chris dying was not a good idea. I'm new here, but I've noticed this board has more Leon fans indeed, which makes for an unfair match. Some claim to like Chris but still want him dead which makes me think they're mainly trying to cover up since some of these same people have defended Jill in the past boards and how her dying was not a good idea, and now Ada here, and how much of a main character she is.

See, when you like a character, you don't want said character dead.

That's not the point, though.

I can attest that Chris has a huge fanbase, I'm part of several fan clubs, actually. On Deviantart, Tumblr and Facebook. I can also attest the threats of dropping the franchise which came from a lot of fans and it wasn't thirty or forty or even a hundred. Way more, to the point another threat had to be created so people could discuss it and beg Capcom not to kill Chris. I'll post the link here later.

Piers' death had meaning, and it served its purpose as loverboyys said. Piers character and his only motivation was to bring Chris back. He did his job.

Besides, Chris going away in a game without Jill and Claire?

Also agree that killing Chris just to bring back one of those two ladies is a horrible, dreadful, cliched idea. Cheap writing at best.

Not to worry though. Chris is old. Some of the haters or the people who simply dislike him won't see him around much longer. He'll probably sit back after a while, retire, or mentor the younger kids from afar. Probably become some kind of father figure to Jake. (How can some of you think Jake is going to pass to the dark side or kill Chris and vice versa? Did we play the same game here?)
#36good_tobiPosted 1/5/2013 5:51:17 PM(edited)
asdasdsfsf posted...
I'm new here, but I've noticed this board has more Leon fans indeed, which makes for an unfair match.

oh we have a new comer and nobody bother to welcome? come on people......

Welcome dude. Thanks for not making stupid topic like RE is horrible game and all that (we have enough of that already), as new comer usually jumps straight into making stupid topics. like your username.

And yeah here are fans of almost every character but some people can't bear to see even a tiny bit of criticism against their fav character. They go hyper. Ignore them.
---
Save tigers from extinction.
#37chaoscontrol325Posted 1/5/2013 5:52:54 PM
loverboyyss posted...

No, sweetie, that's you.

There is no potential to be seen here. What do you think they'd do, an elaborate story regarding Chris' death? Like they did Wesker?

The're no other path than the 'straight' path. The only time Capcom managed to be surprising and original was when they offed Piers, who nobody or very few people, expected to go.

There's nothing to write about. You want Chris dead for the potential of sending other characters to the fight, for them to come back---that's already cheap.

It's so easy to kill a character for story development, it's so easy to kill a brother to bring the sister, kill the girlfriend to enrage the boyfriend, kill the parents to put determination in the children, kill the children to break off the parents, kill the hero to bring on the heroine, it's so damn easy to make the hero fall and then have him sacrifice himself in the end.

It's easy.
Cheap.
Overdone.
Bad writing.

It's hard, however, to have a love story, to have a friendship, to have loyalty displayed and explored and done well. It's hard to make the hero survive without cheap shock value. It's hard to make a hero go through all that crap, go through his worst, become addicted to something and then come out on top, clean, without dying.

Not to mention the message some people are passing here.

That because Chris had stooped so low then he had no reason to gon on living and could have easily traded places. You seem to miss this part of the story.
Chris recovered not only his will to fight, but himself and it was all thanks to Piers.

See how beautiful this is? How beautiful of a message his campaign is?

Being depressed and lost doesn't mean depressed and lost forever. You can change. You can get better. As long as you accept responsabilities for your actions, let your past go, accept your mistakes and flaws and the sacrifice other people have done for you.

How would that message still get through if Piers had lived?

You're depressed, you have nothing to fight for....so you sacrifice yourself because your life is a mess?

That's horrible.

Chris and Piers thought until the end. Piers' sacrifice didn't feel cheap and out of place. It served its purpose.

I stopped reading that when you started assuming things about me and my opinions you knew nothing about.
---
PSN: Lazuri65 XBL:LazuriXIII
If you don't write you're from GameFAQs and what board in the friend request, you will be denied.
#38tevin1569Posted 1/5/2013 5:53:29 PM
good_tobi posted...
asdasdsfsf posted...
I'm new here, but I've noticed this board has more Leon fans indeed, which makes for an unfair match.

Welcome dude. Thanks for not making stupid topic like RE is horrible game and all that (we have enough of that already), as new comer usually jumps straight into making stupid topics. like your username.

And yeah here are fans of almost every character but some people can't bear to see even a tiny bit of criticism against their fav character. They go hyper. Ignore them.

I never got a welcome and I never made stupid hate topics :(. I'm just not special.
---
"How about you come down here and I'll show you"- Ada Wong to Derek Simmons (RE6)
#39good_tobiPosted 1/5/2013 5:57:19 PM
tevin1569 posted...
good_tobi posted...
asdasdsfsf posted...

I never got a welcome and I never made stupid hate topics :(. I'm just not special.

belated welcome to you too.
---
Save tigers from extinction.
#40tevin1569Posted 1/5/2013 6:02:29 PM
good_tobi posted...
tevin1569 posted...
good_tobi posted...
asdasdsfsf posted...

belated welcome to you too.

YESH!!!! :D
---
"How about you come down here and I'll show you"- Ada Wong to Derek Simmons (RE6)