Anyone think Chris should've (massive spoilers)

#41YunFang1130Posted 1/5/2013 8:02:22 PM
asdasdsfsf posted...
I agree with loverboyys.

Chris dying was not a good idea. I'm new here, but I've noticed this board has more Leon fans indeed, which makes for an unfair match. Some claim to like Chris but still want him dead which makes me think they're mainly trying to cover up since some of these same people have defended Jill in the past boards and how her dying was not a good idea, and now Ada here, and how much of a main character she is.

See, when you like a character, you don't want said character dead.

That's not the point, though.

I can attest that Chris has a huge fanbase, I'm part of several fan clubs, actually. On Deviantart, Tumblr and Facebook. I can also attest the threats of dropping the franchise which came from a lot of fans and it wasn't thirty or forty or even a hundred. Way more, to the point another threat had to be created so people could discuss it and beg Capcom not to kill Chris. I'll post the link here later.

Piers' death had meaning, and it served its purpose as loverboyys said. Piers character and his only motivation was to bring Chris back. He did his job.

Besides, Chris going away in a game without Jill and Claire?

Also agree that killing Chris just to bring back one of those two ladies is a horrible, dreadful, cliched idea. Cheap writing at best.

Not to worry though. Chris is old. Some of the haters or the people who simply dislike him won't see him around much longer. He'll probably sit back after a while, retire, or mentor the younger kids from afar. Probably become some kind of father figure to Jake. (How can some of you think Jake is going to pass to the dark side or kill Chris and vice versa? Did we play the same game here?)

Hello! :>

I don't speak for everyone, but my reasoning why I think the roles should've been reversed is because his story is finished. He defeated Wesker, saved Jill and Claire, and founded the BSAA. There's nothing to accomplish anymore. Obviously, Jake doesn't care about Chris because he's busy doing his own thing. And "the family" that was introduced in RE6 will most likely be a problem that Leon/Ada will have to take care of.

I like Chris. I find him to be a pretty cool character just like Leon. However, I don't want characters to be included in a game just because the "Chris fans" want to see him. That's ridiculous. This is one of the reasons why I was disappointed in RE6. They decide to put in Leon, Chris, & Ada and in the end there was no development. Leon's the same, Ada's still a mystery (again ._.) , and Chris didn't do anything. Yes, I said it. Chris/Piers' campaign was my favorite, but looking back, his whole story was gloomy from start to finish. He lost his team and didn't save anyone. No improvement was made. Am I bitter that Piers died? Yeah lol! I got attached to him and I was really disappointed when Capcom killed him off. He could've brought something new to RE which would've been awesome. At least, I would be guarenteed a new ending once I completed a game lol!

I believe the people who would've wanted Chris to trade places with Piers, only want it so the story can have a purpose and continue. Like I said, RE6 felt like a complete waste in terms of the storytelling. As for Jill and Claire, I don't think its necessary. Claire is busy taking care of business overseas, while Jill is probably retired or is working with someone else. I doubt we'll get a Chris&Jill game due to the fact that Chris is an SOU captain while Jill is still serving as an independent agent.
#42saberstromPosted 1/5/2013 8:04:54 PM
im sick of chris, kill him, leon is da true star.
#43dgdgdgfdfPosted 1/5/2013 8:37:58 PM
YunFang1130 posted...

Hello there :)

I'm sorry, but Claire story is also finished yet people want her back. Jill's story is also finished, she also founded the BSAA and yet people want her back.

Chris defeated Haos. Chris was the one who rescued Sherry and Jake from the facility. If he hadn't been there, those two would have died and the world would have been doomed with Haos being released and no one getting the vaccine made from Jake's blood. To say he didn't do anything in RE6 is kind of, pardon me here, ridiculous.
There's nothing for anyone to accomplish.

I mean, how many more times will we see Leon being thrown in the same plot?
President+Tragedy+Ada=Leon

When Claire is in something, it's always:
Chris+Some Helpless Little Kid+Leon+Random Outbreak!= Claire

And Ada, whose only purpose in a game is to be there when Leon is? Ada, who shows up as a sexy, super spy and give us no background, no plot whatsoever.

She saves Leon, smirks, nods, says 'humph' and flies away in a helicopter.

And Jill, who has been described as being physically and mentally exhausted by the end of RE5, what else is there for her to fight? Another BOW who hunts BSAA agents this time?

So to say Chris' story is finished is redundant. All character's stories were done once Wesker's was too.

Wesker had ties to everyone, even Leon via Ada.He was the one behind the idea of global saturation. Wesker was not just an enemy of Chris, he was an enemy of all the main protagonists.

How can you say no improvement was made regarding Chris in RE6?

He started out as a drunk. He was going through PTSD, he didn't remember anything due to that and he had lost himself completely. The Captain he was in Chapter 2 no longer existed.

Piers made him remember who he was, and by the time we reach Chapter 5, Chris has already let go of his idea of vengence, has already accepted his mistakes, has already made peace with his past to the point of even suggesting retirement. When Piers dies, he carries on to honor the death of his teammates, something he wouldn't have done in Chapter 1.

He regained his hope, his will to fight. He was back to being a Captain, back to being a good man. A good man who had made terrible mistakes that cost the life of his soldiers, but who was ready to redeem himself and fight for their memories.

He overcame his PSTD, he overcame his anger and hatred, he overcame all the obstacles posed to him.

How is that not progression?

Killing a character to move forward with the story is, and I quote the previous user, 'bad writing'. And that's exactly what the producers have said in that Devloper interview. They didn't do it because they knew it was a bad idea, plus the fan backlash.

And The Family is not a problem only for Leon and Ada. The family pose threat to everyone given that they have ways of getting into the BSAA and the DSO.

Jill and Chris are still being described as 'partners' in the official RE6 graphical guide. She can easily be recruted to be in his squad, or she can easily meet up with him ahlfway through their mission. Like it happened with Josh and Sheva in RE5. Josh met up with Sheva and Chris, who were independet agents while Josh was Captain of an entire squad. Take Revelations. Even when Chris was not yet a captain, he and Jill had different partners and still met up and got a game about them.

Plus all the fans begging for a Jill/Chris thing and the developers joking 'Wait until RE11'. They know what the fans want.

I honestly can't find any reasoning here for killing Chris good. It all comes down to cliches, haters, or misunderstanding of his plot in RE6 (I'm not saying you're any of this, ok? :) ).
#44dgdgdgfdfPosted 1/5/2013 8:47:34 PM
Before there is any confusion, I am the 'asda' user.

I feel 'dgdgdgfdf' describes me better.
#45EduardoESRPosted 1/5/2013 8:49:56 PM
dgdgdgfdf posted...
YunFang1130 posted...

Hello there :)

I'm sorry, but Claire story is also finished yet people want her back. Jill's story is also finished, she also founded the BSAA and yet people want her back.

^ This

Chris story might be finished and If people want to remove him from the series, theres no need to kill him, just don't get him there anymore. Killing Chris will do more harm than good because there may be big group who want him dead, but there is an ever bigger group that want him alive. That goes for any protagonsit.
#46YunFang1130Posted 1/5/2013 10:04:22 PM
dgdgdgfdf posted...

Chris defeated Haos. Chris was the one who rescued Sherry and Jake from the facility. If he hadn't been there, those two would have died and the world would have been doomed with Haos being released and no one getting the vaccine made from Jake's blood. To say he didn't do anything in RE6 is kind of, pardon me here, ridiculous.

Maybe I should've included that part. He wouldn't have rescued them if it wasn't for Leon though. But, I didn't mean that he sat on his butt the whole time. Excluding Jake and Sherry, he really didn't save anybody. He started and continued the mission as an angry person at the cost of his men. Maybe it's cheesy, but I would've liked it if they had made Chris save Piers instead of having him watch his last teammate die like he did the first time. At least, it would've showed improvement was made. The whole campaign was doom and gloom from start to finish unlike the other stories.

I mean, how many more times will we see Leon being thrown in the same plot?
President+Tragedy+Ada=Leon

And Ada, whose only purpose in a game is to be there when Leon is? Ada, who shows up as a sexy, super spy and give us no background, no plot whatsoever.

She saves Leon, smirks, nods, says 'humph' and flies away in a helicopter.

RE6 would've been a perfect opportunity for these two, but noo... For Leon, the only reason why his story is continuing is because of his relationship with Ada. Ada has an excuse because there's still some mystery on who she's working for, why she's targeting "The Family", and her as a person. As for everyone else, I'm not really rooting for any of them to return. I've seen enough of Jill and Degeneration seemed like it was a send off for Claire. All I want is new characters at this point.

He regained his hope, his will to fight.

This is the part I have a problem with. From my point of view, I don't think he ever lost his will to fight bioterrorism. In the elevator scene with Piers, he admitted that he didn't want the war to follow him forever. That's not giving up. The man was tired and he wanted to spend the rest of his life in peace.

Plus all the fans begging for a Jill/Chris thing and the developers joking 'Wait until RE11'. They know what the fans want.

I think that was a joke. They admitted in an interview after RE6 was released to having no plans for RE7 yet.

I just think this is BS that they killed him off. Why bother creating a manga for Chris and Piers (that's still continuing) if you're going to boot him to the curb anyway?
#47dgdgdgfdfPosted 1/5/2013 10:21:06 PM
YunFang1130

Please don't say the only thing Leon has for him is Ada. Leon, along with Chris, is such a good character. If anything, the only thing Ada has for is Leon since she can't be in a game when Leon isn't in it first.

Yes, you should have included that part since you took it away and made it look like Chris was sitting on his butt the entire time, even if you didn't mean it. Of course he wouldn't have gone if it weasn't for Leon, mainly because he had no idea Jake and Sherry had been captured. So Leon telling him that wasn't some super heroic move on Leon's part, it was common sense. You didn't expect Chris to go looking for people when he didn't even know they were missing in the first place, did you?

And yes, he didn't save anyone (apart from Jake and Sherry).

That was the point.

He had to watch his entire team die, again, for him to get back on track. His story wasn't about saving someone else, it was about saving himself. Even Piers plot in the entire game is about saving Chris. Maybe that's what's rubbing you the wrong way, then fine, but Chris' campaign was not about a group, it was about himself.

How do you think he hadn't lsot his will to fight terrorism?

He lost everyone, got amnesia, PTSD, ran away from the hospital, went missing for six months and had to be dragged back to the field. Once he remembered, he decided the BSAA mission was to capture and kill Ada rather than scort Jake and Sherry to safety and away from those BOWs. He had lost his willt of giht for the good cause and made it about personal revenge.
I did not say the part where he mentions retiriment is him giving up, if you read my post again, you'll see that I said that part was him accepting his mistakes and accepting that he had to let go, pass on the torch. That he was finally the good Captain he used to be.

Then he realized what he had done was wrong, and became, once again the man he was.

Ask yourself this, if you think it's bull**** they killed Piers, a new character, how do you think Chris' fanbase, which is older and bigger, would have felt? Do you see the problem that would have created?

You have got to see the purpose of Piers' death. Hisentire quest during RE6 was what? Bring back Chris redfield, right? Remind him of how much of a legend he is, right?

Well, Piers accomplished his mission, didn't he? By the end of Chris' campaign, he walks away determined and ready for another fight, back to his old self.

Piers' death was not in vain or a stupid cliched move.

It had meaning.

And when it shocked the players, it wasn't because he was a main character and was dying and that had never happened before (the reason some people think Chris should have died is this u.). It was because he became a lovable character, a loyal man who, in the end, sacrificed himself and died a hero, too. He became a man who did his job, helped save the world.

The reason they're making a manga with Piers is simple:

Money.

Especially now since he became a popular character.

If you read my post, again, you'll see me saying exactly this:

'The developers ~~~joked~~~about Chris and Jill'.

They had also been joking before RE6 about Ada starring something, they had also been joking about a meet up between Leon and Chris....
#48Game JediPosted 1/5/2013 10:21:55 PM
He should have died. It would have been the perfect ending to his campaign, to be honest. He had turned to a drunken failure, and throughout the campaign his subordinates were dying all around him. What better way to send him off than for him to place himself between Piers and the final boss, taking that hit and then using the enhanced virus to survive long enough to get Piers to the escape pod. Then we could see Piers at that restaurant, ordering that steak and remembering Chris just before his subordinate brings him his new orders.

Backlash from the fans for his death would have been the least of their worries.
---
Not changing my signature until Resident Evil 2 is remade, and Gouki is included (in-game or as DLC) in a non-campaign mode.
#49dgdgdgfdfPosted 1/5/2013 10:27:32 PM
Oh, and I forgot.

Ada is not* targetting The Family.

Not even Derek was targetting Ada. Not the real one, anyway.

Carla was the one who targetted Ada all along, and Carla was Neo-Umbrella. Once she was targeted, Ada brought in Derek, who in turn had The Family join in their little fight.
Once The Family killed Carla, then left Derek to die, they chose a new 'master'.

Ada has no interest in going up against The Family, I think there's a file that even says so. There's also one that simply says The Family is still out there, which means it can target anyone, not Ada and Ada alone.

Remember, Ada was dragged in RE6 by Carla, not Derek, and not The Family. It was Carla and Neo-Umbrella.
#50dgdgdgfdfPosted 1/5/2013 10:30:53 PM
Game Jedi posted...
He should have died. It would have been the perfect ending to his campaign, to be honest. He had turned to a drunken failure, and throughout the campaign his subordinates were dying all around him. What better way to send him off than for him to place himself between Piers and the final boss, taking that hit and then using the enhanced virus to survive long enough to get Piers to the escape pod. Then we could see Piers at that restaurant, ordering that steak and remembering Chris just before his subordinate brings him his new orders.

Backlash from the fans for his death would have been the least of their worries.

Thank you for proving a point.

'He had turned to a drunken failure, and throughout the campaign his subordinates were dying all around him'

So he should have died.

What a lovely, and beautiful message. Not cliched at all.

You think Chris going off in a game without Jill or Claire, and having a newcomer, Piers, remember him instead of those two would be a good idea?

You have no idea how much backlash there was even BEFORE the game's release, do you?

Back when the rumors started, outside this board, people were threating to quit the franchise, to stop buying games from Capcom.

Just because you're not one of them and you wouldn't have done the same, doesn't exclude the fact that a lot of people would and it doesn't exclude the fact Capcom knows this.