Gamasutra: RE6 = How Not To Make A Game

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 6
  3. Gamasutra: RE6 = How Not To Make A Game
3 years ago#1
Found this article that basically says that RE6 should be played by every game designer in order to learn what they shouldn't do on their games:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BenjaminQuintero/20130106/184360/What_Resident_Evil_6_Taught_Me.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29
3 years ago#2
Lol, that article is pretty legit, I completely agree.
---
Resident Evil (Remake) 'n' Haunting Ground are two of the best games ever made by Capcom.
3 years ago#3
I agreed with half the points, the rest felt like the person is not very competent or was complaining for nothing. I would have complained about other points, such as the writing
---
AgainstMeIsBest posted...
if you have to triple post I think that means nobody cares
3 years ago#4
Blogfaqs
3 years ago#5
Honestly that was only a fraction of the things wrong with the game. Let's talk about glitches and frame of animation spazzes, and zombies with no heads biting you or grabbing you.

How about being hit by multiple enemies as you're stun-locked or the faster than the speed of light critical state where you can be attacked and die at warp speed before the animation has even begun.

Oh no, my partner is in danger! I must go temporarily blind, somehow get grabbed or attacked, or the camera has to completely reverse my direction as I'm in a state of running or standing.

The only thing the reviewer didn't realize was that pressing Select would skip the cutscene in most cases.
3 years ago#6
Cartwheel_Kick posted...
I agreed with half the points, the rest felt like the person is not very competent or was complaining for nothing. I would have complained about other points, such as the writing

Same here, although I feel the points the article makes are only "minor frustrations" and not really anything to completely ruin the experience.

I thought the game played, looked, and sounded nice. The writing was the major disappointment for me. Actually, I got the same feeling from MGS4
---
Check Mark
3 years ago#7
Check Mark posted...
Cartwheel_Kick posted...

Same here, although I feel the points the article makes are only "minor frustrations" and not really anything to completely ruin the experience.

I thought the game played, looked, and sounded nice. The writing was the major disappointment for me. Actually, I got the same feeling from MGS4

And the funny things is that the animation vs control thing sure wasn't a problem when it came to Max Payne 3, even though it was way more problematic in that game, simply because the developer advertized it as a feature("realistic animations"). Apparently, if you spin your flaws correctly, reviewers will love them.
3 years ago#8
I agree with his point on animation, although opening a door can be very fast by tapping x twice. What I hated more is the mini cutscene animations that play when you try to open a door that's locked. You don't have to take away player control for 5 seconds to tell me I'm not getting through there.

One thing he should have added was how there are multiple points in the game where they take camera control away and force you to look at something. Annoying.
---
Yep, I'm a guy! teehee <3
3 years ago#9
kingrat2314 posted...
One thing he should have added was how there are multiple points in the game where they take camera control away and force you to look at something. Annoying.

I've lost more herb tablets to this than any enemy in the game. Camera pans away. Camera comes back and I've got something eating my leg.
3 years ago#10
Story is important, well, Capcom didn't tell us how did Leon enter the Ivy University. Really, Crapcom?
---
http://setsunah.imgur.com
I like Kana Hanazawa, RE6 web manual:- http://game.capcom.com/manual/bio6/en/
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 6
  3. Gamasutra: RE6 = How Not To Make A Game

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived