Serious players only VS High core Hijinks...what's the main difference??

#1DarkkefkaFFXPosted 1/8/2013 11:38:12 PM(edited)
They both reset when combo fails right?

I play for fun too, but it's a little more fun when playing someone who knows what they're doing...or at least doesn't purposely shoot the combo bonus at the 140 kill mark....
---
FFX NSGNZ Dark Aeons (Anima left)
Pokemon D/P Friends Codes: 0216 3888 1669
#2BlueRamzaPosted 1/8/2013 11:38:49 PM
I never understood that myself. You already gone this far, why not finish the round?
---
Snake: There's no happiness found in death, no peace either; I'm leaving here alive, because a strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
#3DarkkefkaFFX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 11:40:19 PM
forgive the typo...my "s" button doesn't work very well.... lol
---
FFX NSGNZ Dark Aeons (Anima left)
Pokemon D/P Friends Codes: 0216 3888 1669
#4nina_chanPosted 1/8/2013 11:53:50 PM
They're for the most part interchangeable, so it depends on the room maker's scores. If their scores are only in the 1-1.2mil range, then they're only in it to get a 150 combo. If their scores are in the 1.3-1.5mil range, then you're expected to hold bosses for the 140's-150 and counter/CDG everything. You are likely to get booted if you can't hold your own.
#5Rei23Posted 1/9/2013 9:32:16 AM
High score hijinks people will immediately kick you if you don't play exactly to their expectations every round. Serious players only tend to be more lenient to mistakes, and just want someone who knows what they are doing, and can get a good score doing it.

That tends to be my experience anyway.
---
100%
Not Kicker Audio
#6DanielSpace79Posted 1/9/2013 10:02:51 AM
Rei23 posted...
High score hijinks people will immediately kick you if you don't play exactly to their expectations every round. Serious players only tend to be more lenient to mistakes, and just want someone who knows what they are doing, and can get a good score doing it.

Curious, I find it to be the opposite.

And btw, I always do highscore hijinks and never boot if someone doesn't play to my expectations :-) (I generally change those based on the scores of the player that joins me)
---
"Hey! Porky Pig! I hope you get molested!"
PSN: TheWorstType
#7EduardoESRPosted 1/9/2013 10:10:01 AM
DanielSpace79 posted...
Rei23 posted...

And btw, I always do highscore hijinks and never boot if someone doesn't play to my expectations :-) (I generally change those based on the scores of the player that joins me)

Why not? I usually just play for fun but every now and then I feel like getting high scores and It can get quite frustating when newbies with no idea of how mercs works gets in the high score hijinks room. It's okay to explain to them how It works when It's for fun, but I'unno, when I make a high score hijinks I expect experienced people only.
#8DanielSpace79Posted 1/9/2013 10:40:16 AM
EduardoESR posted...
DanielSpace79 posted...
Rei23 posted...

Why not? I usually just play for fun but every now and then I feel like getting high scores and It can get quite frustating when newbies with no idea of how mercs works gets in the high score hijinks room. It's okay to explain to them how It works when It's for fun, but I'unno, when I make a high score hijinks I expect experienced people only.

Honestly because it never works out that way- I'd say theres a little bit of hypocrisy within this community as new player or ones that aren't serious do not enjoy playing with high scorers and will boot players with high scores assuming they are elitist, where as if a high scorer boots a new or inexperienced player, they are an ahole or a dbag. I think the problem is versatility. A high scoring player can reduce his expectations and 'play for fun', but a new or inexperienced player cant do a high score simply because they aren't familiar yet.

Thus everytime I make a high score hijinks room- about 90% of the time, I'm going to get a newer player. It used to bug me, but now I just think about it as a challange, while giving me the oppertunity to practice new strategies or ideas for routes. U/C can be challenging enough w Napad holding and when things get nuts at the 110+ mark, but it becomes a true challenge (and therefore kinda fun) to be in duo mode with someone not quite experienced and I have to grab all the time bonuses while holding the combo, while keeping an eye on my partner and making sure he's alive can be a really tough challenge.

Honestly, I also like helping people- so while I'm driven for higher and higher scores (I swear I'll get to 1.4 within the next week), I also really like helping someone get their first million, or just doing the challenge of the stage so they can farm skill points. It really just boils down to persepctive.
---
"Hey! Porky Pig! I hope you get molested!"
PSN: TheWorstType
#9skermacPosted 1/9/2013 11:09:42 AM
It appears some people will kick you based on score only, even when playing for fun, that's crazy!
#10jphinesdadPosted 1/9/2013 11:16:55 AM
When I play online anymore, I always host (so as to avoid getting booted myself for whatever reason or have to contend with multiple restarts...) and I have decided to always set it to Serious Players Only. I can get scores over a million if I play with decent players, but I am not good enough myself to hold bosses and get 1.5 million scores. So, I am basically looking for players good enough to S rank, but I am not expecting much beyond that. I only kick people right off the bat if they have no skill equipped as that strikes me as a bad sign. If someone does not have a score for their character, I do not assume that means they have never played the map before, because there are several maps that I have only played with one or two characters and have earned over a million with those characters. I never quit if the combo is broken, because I figure it is practice if nothing else, also for the other person. If someone dies, however, I rarely will choose to continue. The overwhelming majority of players who join my sessions of Serious Players Only have no idea what they are doing and begin killing right away and many times make no effort to heal. Conversely, I was playing with one guy yesterday on Steel Beast who rapidly did the Time Bonuses and then did "move in" and immediately started killing while I am getting the red herb with no J'avo around and right as I am about to find a J'avo to kill after hurrying up to get back to a portion of the map with J'avo, he lost the combo and started spamming "Glad you're here" and "Thanks" and then exited...

So, my expectations (hopes!) at this point when I host with Serious Players Only is:

1. Ability to get an S rank; doesn't have to be high score level high. I am happy if I can play with others who can at least get the minimum score needed for an S rank, due to so many players who join who tend to die immediately or make no effort to heal, maintain a combo.
2. Ability to survive without having to be rescued multiple times. One or two cases are one thing, but beyond that it becomes clear we will not get an S score.
3. If the player uses a headset, they are serious about it, i.e. no crying babies, no using the bathroom (yes, when playing a different game, I got to hear someone urinate and flush...).
4. Strategy: we first collect resources and hit the time bonuses and the start killing.
5. Player will heal when necessary.

Really, that is all I am looking for. :) I am mostly playing to get skill points to finish unlocking all skills or when relevant for the sake of events so as to unlock residentevil.net costumes. So, I am playing seriously, but not trying to get the leaderboard scores, hence why I don't choose High Score Hijinks.