About QTEs.... Just wondering

#1ShinWeskerPosted 1/9/2013 3:31:17 AM
Is there seriously anyone that thinks it is a good idea to have QTEs for stuff like carrying people around, driving a car in a Resident Evil or for that matter, other games that are filled with QTEs?

I mean, it fit with Shenmue and Heavy Rain, but it really is out of place in Resident Evil.

It's like... don't they test it at all ? What kind of "people" are they employing to test the game? They probably don't test at all... somebody as big as this developer cannot figure out that QTEs are hated and nobody wants it ? (fig. speaking, since all reviewers complained about the QTEs).

And QTEs just don't add anything gameplay wise. It's just, OK U R DED, try again, slowing the game needlessly down and adding nothing skill-wise.
---
Shadows of the Damned is an awesome game.
#2PyroSparkPosted 1/9/2013 3:38:24 AM
I thought all the QTEs when it comes to combat and dodging are well placed, I just think it's the car driving and rope climbing and a little bit of the chase scenes that are badly placed.
---
rexator-"Make it a money match so that the winner gets to crap in the other's mouth." PSN: PyroSpark7
#3ShinWesker(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 3:40:59 AM
PyroSpark posted...
I thought all the QTEs when it comes to combat and dodging are well placed, I just think it's the car driving and rope climbing and a little bit of the chase scenes that are badly placed.

I don't mind QTEs to be honest when it comes to dodging, I mean, couldn't think of something else for Resident Evil. A dedicated dodge button? But that make it too easy and more like DMC (even though RE3 had dodging IIRC).
---
Shadows of the Damned is an awesome game.
#4boofiePosted 1/9/2013 3:44:09 AM
Oh noes! A sticky situation! Don't worry you can escape though all you need to do is....

PRESS X NOW MORON!!
#5Megiddo_FlarePosted 1/9/2013 3:58:02 AM
boofie posted...
Oh noes! A sticky situation! Don't worry you can escape though all you need to do is....

PRESS X & SQUARE NOW MORON!!

Fixed
---
WHY SO SERIOUS!? O_o LET'S PUT A SMILE ON THAT FACE!!! >=] PSN: SHIN_MEGIDDO_X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQi0Mv7kK_E
#6GoldsicklePosted 1/9/2013 4:54:33 AM
Not every sequence with on-screen button prompts are QTE.

The only parts that truly qualify as QTE are cutscenes or events out of your control, where you have to react to a (usually random) button prompt or die.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#7saberstromPosted 1/9/2013 4:57:50 AM
Goldsickle posted...

The only parts that truly qualify as QTE are cutscenes or events out of your control, where you have to react to a (usually random) button prompt or die.

not true, any time a button sequence pops up thats a qte. a quick time event. u have to press the button quick or die=qte. or rotate sticks is qte too.
#8GoldsicklePosted 1/9/2013 5:18:45 AM
saberstrom posted...
any time a button sequence pops up thats a qte.

Not all sequences need an on-screen prompt.

Remember that in earlier Resident Evil games (and a lot of games during the 90's) didn't need an on-screen prompt to shake off a monster grabbing you, open door, operate switches, climb ladders, counter attack or even stealth-kill an enemy.
Sometimes, a manual tells you "mash the button to break free".

On-screen prompts are only added for these sequences nowadays for convenience.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#9largerockPosted 1/9/2013 6:12:50 AM
saberstrom posted...
Goldsickle posted...

not true, any time a button sequence pops up thats a qte. a quick time event. u have to press the button quick or die=qte. or rotate sticks is qte too.

It's a button prompt because you can avoid it. It is completely unnecessary. QTE's on the other hand are absolute b****es who will c***block the screen for you and you HAVE to press them.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#10good_tobiPosted 1/9/2013 6:38:27 AM
ShinWesker posted...
Is there seriously anyone that thinks it is a good idea to have QTEs for stuff like carrying people around, driving a car in a Resident Evil or for that matter, other games that are filled with QTEs?

I love QTE, just hate driving a car in resident evil or any racing games.
---
Don't need sharingan to see this.