Game Design and Resident Evil 6

#1ShinWeskerPosted 1/10/2013 12:59:48 PM
Let's argue some of the decisions they made for this game:

Turret section pretty much at the beginning of Jakes Campaign:

- Turret sections have always been bad, no exception. Lazy game design.

Snowmobile Section

- If you make a "mini game" , make it so you don't fail at all . Like in FF7, mini games were fun because they were a distraction and didn't make you angry once you failed them.
---
Shadows of the Damned is an awesome game.
#2XSilverPhoenixXPosted 1/10/2013 1:10:47 PM
The snowmobile section should be based on how badly the camera aims itself so you have as much of an obstructed view as possible which is exactly how it was.

The turrets are messed up if you are on the right side and can't even see to the shoot the helicopter that it outside of your viewing area. I would think having the camera placed further back would make it even worse.
#3Dark_EpathyPosted 1/10/2013 1:14:55 PM
I have some problems with the game. They're not major, and I enjoy it a lot despite them, but they do detract from the experience.

- Set-pieces. I've never been a fan of these, at least when they clog up gameplay. They're pretty much what everyone gripes about precisely because they put you on rails. There's no variation. You do everything as the game asks you to--and if you fail a QTE, you better be ready to do everything again.

- Fetch quests. These are a constant problem with games, but, so long as they're well-disguised, they're usually not a threat to the immersion. In RE6, however, they're very transparent. "Man, the door's locked with three different keys. And it just so happens that the area we're in is locked down with invincible enemies." This type of scenario doesn't really encourage authentic tension since I can see the strings moving, if you will. It's formulaic, in other words.

- Multiple campaigns. I greatly enjoyed the intersecting stories of the three main duos, but, after finishing their individual campaigns, I felt somewhat dissatisfied. I wanted more. These multiple campaigns, though interwoven to create a grander, more epic story, hurt the overall feeling of catharsis at the game's conclusion.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#4paranormalistPosted 1/10/2013 1:22:01 PM
Wrestling camera control from the player in real time. Can't they just do a Gears-style press L2 to look thing?
---
Because I care.
#5AyumiSqueezetoyPosted 1/10/2013 1:26:36 PM
Trick question! there were no game designers on this game...
---
The Reclamation is resting >_>
#6boofiePosted 1/10/2013 2:45:08 PM
AyumiSqueezetoy posted...
Trick question! there were no game designers on this game...

Is that a zing I see?
#7Dark_EpathyPosted 1/10/2013 5:11:47 PM
A very painful one.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#8ItsAboutStylePosted 1/10/2013 5:39:40 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...
I have some problems with the game. They're not major, and I enjoy it a lot despite them, but they do detract from the experience.

- Set-pieces. I've never been a fan of these, at least when they clog up gameplay. They're pretty much what everyone gripes about precisely because they put you on rails. There's no variation. You do everything as the game asks you to--and if you fail a QTE, you better be ready to do everything again.

- Fetch quests. These are a constant problem with games, but, so long as they're well-disguised, they're usually not a threat to the immersion. In RE6, however, they're very transparent. "Man, the door's locked with three different keys. And it just so happens that the area we're in is locked down with invincible enemies." This type of scenario doesn't really encourage authentic tension since I can see the strings moving, if you will. It's formulaic, in other words.

- Multiple campaigns. I greatly enjoyed the intersecting stories of the three main duos, but, after finishing their individual campaigns, I felt somewhat dissatisfied. I wanted more. These multiple campaigns, though interwoven to create a grander, more epic story, hurt the overall feeling of catharsis at the game's conclusion.

This this this
---
You aren't exactly Mister Current Affairs are you, Tommy? "Mad Fist" went mad, and "The Gun," shot himself.
#9AyumiSqueezetoyPosted 1/10/2013 5:45:13 PM
it's a bit of a zing. I did enjoy the game, but it was a mess. There are many disparate individual parts that were fun, but the game was a big unfocused mess, unable to do any part particularly well. I think this is a big differentiater between Mikami's games, where he provides a strong overall direction.
---
The Reclamation is resting >_>
#10ZeeDoggePosted 1/10/2013 7:37:07 PM
AyumiSqueezetoy posted...
it's a bit of a zing. I did enjoy the game, but it was a mess. There are many disparate individual parts that were fun, but the game was a big unfocused mess, unable to do any part particularly well. I think this is a big differentiater between Mikami's games, where he provides a strong overall direction.

ITT: We can spin variety to be a bad thing