Why do fans say the newer games aren't good Resident Evil games

#11dragon7x2kPosted 1/10/2013 5:14:24 PM
I disagree completely with the people who think that is just nostalgia what made them think those games are good. They really are.

I started playing the series since 4 and have only played the new RE style until recently with Resident Evil 0 as my first classic style game.

I bought the game last year around october and when I started playing the game it kicked my ass. I am just playing on normal but the start was very rough, the game is so unforgiving if you don't think things through that I stopped playing around the part where you have to activate the train breaks in a time limit.

Months later I decided to try again with a different approach, think my actions more carefully and be more patient, I accepted that the game is gonna kill me a lot so I have to keep playing and learning from my past attempts, figure out which items I should be carrying with me and which I can leave for later and where to place them so it's safe to get them ( the game has been screwing me on that one though), when should I go solo and when is good to be a team.

Figuring out the game has been so much fun for me and honstly, even though I still havent finished the game once, the experience is making me want more. I haven't bought 6 yet and I know is unfair to compare the demo to all the time I've put on 0 but I'm really more tempted to buy Code Veronica X HD because of how much I'm loving the classic style than getting 6.

After all that rambling my conclusion is that the new RE are very fun but I get why people that loved the ones before 4 feel disappointed at them, it's just not the same feeling at all and evryone would feel terrible if a genre they enjoyed had such a radical change that killed any chance for the old gameplay to ever reappear.

I agree that survival horror had to evolve but I have mixed feelings about the changes they have made, in the old ones there's too many cheap situations where the camera causes you to get hit but each encounter is short, even bosses can be done very quickly if you know how to fight them and I love that brevity, the fights never drag as opposed to encounters like Irving or the final battle in 5. I also think tha the experiment that was Revelations has great potential if it had better puzzles and the areas and enemies had more variety (though I understand that it filled the 4 gigabytes SD)
---
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae100/dragonqki7/Forums/Bayonettasig.png
#12DamthielPosted 1/10/2013 5:14:24 PM
Personally I don't think it's nostalgia at all. It's just how it happened when the developers decided to go a different pathway with its gameplay (aka the transition to a third-person shooter). Because of that, you certainly have that dividing line between older games in the series and the newer ones. There are certain aspects of the older gameplay that people do enjoy because it has more of a unique feel to it; go back and play the older games, and think of a single game, particularly during its era, that it feels similar to (besides the obvious Silent Hill). There probably aren't many to say the least, I certainly can't think of any. But maybe I just haven't played enough.

Tank controls, awkward camera angles, fetch quests/puzzles that involve navigating potentially confusing environment layouts multiple times do (imo) add into the feel of survival horror. As a result of the developers picking up the consumers' complaints about these aspects, they improve the design to make the game more fluid and easier to work with (which I think is good) but in turn the game turns more into a "fast paced" action game. And that's what I think some fans don't like - it just doesn't have the same originality as it used to.

I don't miss the older games that much, I do prefer 4-6, but there is something about the older games that I miss.
#13Spider5800Posted 1/10/2013 5:39:45 PM
They aren't really the same types of games. Original RE were largely horror games that focused on exploration, keeping the gameplay tense and the character vulnerable. The tank controls, the weird camera angles, the limited ammo, all were specifically designed to make sure you were always at risk. Combat was better avoided, as even the weakest enemies could kill or badly injure your character, and limited inventory space meant you had to always plan ahead when traveling or constantly backtrack and explore to keep yourself alive. The atmosphere was designed to make everything feel claustrophobic and creepy: your character was trapped in a place full of monsters. It was meant to be scary.

RE4 tried to keep some of this, but really RE4-6 lost most of these elements. There's no exploration at all - every level moves down a straight, predetermined path with a clear start and finish. There's no tension in combat - you literally mow through hundreds of enemies in the campaign, with plenty of ammo and health packs available to you, like any other shooter. There's hardly any attempt at atmosphere - your character moves between different setpieces very quickly, from crashing airplanes to snowmobile chases. Your enemies are more often than not standard gun-toting thugs with predictable attack/cover patterns, dispatched using tactics from any FPS than the careful planning required from old games.

In short, they play completely differently. I say all this as someone who's played these since RE2 in the 90's and really enjoyed RE4 and 5: the new ones are basically action games, the old ones are not. They really should have made the new games spinoffs or something, they play nothing alike.
---
The big brain am winning again! I am the greetest! Now I am leaving Earth for no raisin!
#14SSJ_JinPosted 1/10/2013 5:45:46 PM
For some people it's nostalgia, for some isn't. Look at the new Hitman game. Gotdamn they ruined Hitman. There's no nostalgia in it. Gotdamn they ruined the Hitman game. Had to say it again. When I played Blood Money, which was my first Hitman game, I was blown away. Had to get Silent Assassin and Contracts. Couldn't wait for the next one. Then along comes Absolution.

Gotdamn they ruined Hitman.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#15boofiePosted 1/10/2013 5:58:54 PM
When I played the old games and came across a few zombies I'd think "crap this is trouble".

When I play RE 5 or 6 and come across a few zombies I think "you zombies are goners" BLAM BLAM BLAM! KICK! BLAM! HEADSTOMP!

The danger factor is gone. Unless there is a helicopter above you.
#16CPU-ZPosted 1/10/2013 6:00:27 PM
Spider5800 put it best.
#17Vegeta1000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 8:49:51 PM
No Edward? I'm surprised.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#18Steve__BurnsidePosted 1/10/2013 8:52:05 PM
Nothing to do with with nostalgia. It's just that in many peoples eyes, Resident Evil 6 is just a s*** game. Even for an action game, Resident Evil 6 fails.
---
Currently listening to: Morbid Angel, Sodom, Inquisition, Darkthrone, Kreator, Tribulation, Exodus
#19boofiePosted 1/10/2013 8:54:34 PM
RE6 is survival horror for zombies.

Hey zombies! Look! Here comes Leon and Helena! Let's see you bastards live through this! You guys are toast!
#20Vegeta1000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 9:03:49 PM
RE4 tried to keep some of this, but really RE4-6 lost most of these elements. There's no exploration at all - every level moves down a straight, predetermined path with a clear start and finish. There's no tension in combat - you literally mow through hundreds of enemies in the campaign, with plenty of ammo and health packs available to you, like any other shooter. There's hardly any attempt at atmosphere - your character moves between different setpieces very quickly, from crashing airplanes to snowmobile chases. Your enemies are more often than not standard gun-toting thugs with predictable attack/cover patterns, dispatched using tactics from any FPS than the careful planning required from old games.

RE4 wasn't all like that. RE4 had exploration. It had optional areas that storied goodies or whatever like in the village and some areas in the castle. There's a part in the game where you can decide which path to choose (they all lead to the same area though but with different enemies). Plus, there's backtracking just not as much as the old games. RE5 and RE6 are the ones that barely have any exploration but RE4 had plenty.

Plus, the old-school RE games were never non-linear. They give you an illusion of freedom. You're still restricted to go to certain areas until you find a item or switch needed to progress kind of like with the Metroidvania games. The only difference is you get to decide which area to go to first or which items to get first.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!