Why do fans say the newer games aren't good Resident Evil games

#21edward18Posted 1/10/2013 9:23:18 PM
To answer the topic's question it's because it no longer has detective gameplay. You aren't trapped in a maze that you have to find interlocking passageways through. You don't backtrack to get any connection for the area as a place other than a straight line. You don't solve the mystery of what's happened there and the history of that setting through notes. You don't have a finite amount of ammo lying around for the guns that you come across.

Why is that? Is it because of no tank controls,

Maybe?

pre-rendered backgrounds,

Pre-rendered or normal is fine to me.

slow moving zombies,

Well that's certainly a downside even if those aren't required.

poor aiming,

Aiming was never an issue.

limited save system,

That was something I missed.

fetch puzzles,

Oh hell yes.

tedious backtracking

It was never tedious.

or other survivor horror elements supposedly gone? RE has always been about bio terrorism. The series is called Bio Hazard in Japan.

You're talking about story now, not gameplay. Story in anything always changes. Gameplay should not change through a numbered series.

The newer games still have B.O.W.s being used for world domination just like the old games.

And good for them.

The stuff I listed above was mostly unintentional and in the games mostly due to hardware limitations.

If they wanted a game more like the crap that is 4-onwards they'd have made something more like Doom.

That stuff was getting stale in the games so it was time for a change.

There shouldn't be change.

Horror=/=scary.

...yes it does...they're the same damn thing.

How can anyone say RE4 is not a RE game?

Cause it was complete crap as one. The story had nothing to do with anything else in the series, it remains the least relevant main game of the series, it turned Leon into an ass, and changed how the series played.

RE still had a eerie atmosphere (at least until you get to the islands),

It was all pretty laughable.

creepy enemies (Novistadors, Garrodors, Regenators, etc),

The only real creepy enemies of the game to me were Regenerators.

isolation (Leon is alone for most of the game),

Luis...Ashley...enemies that talk and converse with each other...yeah...not really feeling much isolation...

fetch puzzles,

...uh...like hell...

and backtracking (not as much as the old games though).

Yeah, pretty much nearly non-existent.

Having to barricade the windows and doors to prevent enemies from coming in, surviving Verdugo until the elevator shows up, sneaking past Iron Maidens w/ Ashley, running away from a El Gigante, and Ashley playable segment was all survival horror imo.

....what's in your opinion? You were just stating parts of the game...

Getting rid of tank controls,

...no it didn't...

slow-moving zombies,

Yeah, cause it wasn't a T-Virus outbreak. Why would they be there to begin with?

and massive fetch puzzles was just a part of the series evolving but the plot has always been the same is it was from day 1. Stop bio terrorism.

You started out talking about gameplay. Gameplay and story have nothing to do with each other.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#22Vegeta1000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 9:26:53 PM
I'm not going to bother going through all of that. But I will say that I didn't enjoy RE6. Not because of the survival horror elements being all but taken away, but because it's not a good designed game. RE4 and RE5 are more polished than that game.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#23Vegeta1000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 9:28:10 PM
How about this edward, what do you suggest Capcom does with RE? Do you want them to return to survival horror with some new touches or make it exactly liek the old games?
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#24edward18Posted 1/10/2013 9:32:36 PM
How about this edward, what do you suggest Capcom does with RE?

I want them to make the games play like the classics again.

Do you want them to return to survival horror with some new touches or make it exactly liek the old games?

I want them to be what they were before 4.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
#25Vegeta1000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 9:44:37 PM
I want them to be what they were before 4.

You mean the tank controls, pre-rendered backgrounds, limited saves, and fetch puzzles?
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#26edward18Posted 1/10/2013 9:49:11 PM

You mean the tank controls,

Which 4 and 5 have.

pre-rendered backgrounds,

if you want

limited saves,

Sure

and fetch puzzles?

Hell yes.
---
#27Vegeta1000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 9:54:13 PM
That stuff isn't ever coming back. Stuff like pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls were in the old games because of hardware limitations. Fetch puzzles were just an artificial way of making the game longer. Now that systems are much more powerful, I don't see Capcom going back to that stuff. How many successful games this day and age still use the Alone in the Dark formula? It won't sell.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#28edward18Posted 1/10/2013 9:55:55 PM
That stuff isn't ever coming back.

Won't know until it's brought back.

Stuff like pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls were in the old games because of hardware limitations.

Or cause they wanted to do games like that. They could've stopped that crap by Remake (which they did in CV background-wise). Tank controls are in 4 and 5 and they're just fine.

Fetch puzzles were just an artificial way of making the game longer.

Good for it? Take that out of Metroid and you got me complaining too.

Now that systems are much more powerful, I don't see Capcom going back to that stuff.

Congrats.

How many successful games this day and age still use the Alone in the Dark formula? It won't sell.

What makes you think I give a damn about sales?
---
#29Infectedglore2Posted 1/10/2013 9:56:14 PM
I've gotten sick of these kind of topics. I've literally seen this and the other side's version over a thousand times.
#30edward18Posted 1/10/2013 9:59:29 PM
It's what we do Infected =) Alexia and Barry are in my latest piece btw o.o It's for the Mega Crossover of Awesome: http://warahi.deviantart.com/art/Mega-Crossover-Later-Seasons-Doodles-347815490
---