Fact= The Scariest thing about Resident Evil was the Bad Camera and Controls.

#1The_Big_DeekPosted 1/11/2013 12:12:52 PM
thats why many people thought it was scary. the dreaded one angle camera and the horrendous tank controls. people werent scared of the slow dumb zombies. they were scared of the frustrating controls, not being able to fluidly move or run away or move to where you want to.

in re6 they fixed the controls to no more tank movement and the camera is well done since it can be 360 degree spun around you to see everything, and you can now run around fluidly like Dante in DMC. theres nothing really scary anymore in re6. you can just run away from 90% of the enemies to reach the next checkpoint. this game is no longer scary since enemies still move slowly and dumbly while you can run around and constantly spin your camera and character nonstop always aware and running and moving. thanks capcom for fixing the controls and camera.

now people dont have to be scared of resident evil anymore.
---
COD4 >>>>>> BO1 > BO2 >>>>> MW3 >> MW2 > COD3 > WAW > COD2 > COD1
#2Bishop SarasaiPosted 1/11/2013 12:16:07 PM
I agree with this for the most part.
---
R.I.P. Cameron Lofts- 12/10/86-04/21/04
'Do not grieve, end your suffering. We will live...we're eternal'
#3shagohad3Posted 1/11/2013 12:17:30 PM
That is true but Dead Space, at least to me, is still scary even though it has Resident Evil 4 camera and controls for the most part.
---
PSN: shagohad12
If anything SquareEnix should strive to develop games of nine's quality, not seven's-CaseyJonez
#4esb422Posted 1/11/2013 12:23:10 PM(edited)
Dead Space is scary because the most dangerous enemies come from dead bodies. This makes you paranoid, making you stomp every body you come across to make sure it doesn't come back to life. Sound is also utilized to keep you on your toes. Did I just hear a necromorph in the vents? Where's that thumping coming from? It's a scary game that doesn't need to rely on crippling the player's control.

I loved RE6, but I'll admit Resident Evil can learn a lot from Dead Space.
---
I live under a bridge.
#5Cartwheel_KickPosted 1/11/2013 12:30:58 PM(edited)
Not exactly

The scary parts were the unknown, and the "challenge" to stay out of harm's way as much as possible instead of facing it 100% of the time. There's a subtle difference there

RE:Outbreak was my favorite though: it had great controls in comparison to the older ones (no tank control - you went in the direction you pressed, plus you even had dodge and melee move) and the camera angles weren't bad most of the time (some dreadful exceptions). The first games you'd play, before you started getting used to the levels and knowing everything, were scary to a point, because you were thrown into a huge level, having to figure your way out with or without allies, with enemies around every corner, some of which you could take down, some you should try to slip by, some you just couldn't kill at all. IMO it was 100% "RE" survival and wasn't primarily action oriented
Other great games have more modernized controls but are still scary games - SH: Downpour, Dead Space are good examples

In comparison, RE5 - RE6 are not scary because they are linear (so the player has no burden of figuring a way out of the area alive) and you are actually expected to kill every enemy in your way

Whether one prefers one or the other I don't care, but I disagree with your argument that older games were scary only because of angles and controls.
---
AgainstMeIsBest posted...
if you have to triple post I think that means nobody cares
#6XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 1/11/2013 12:32:37 PM
Lol nice try but it's just your opinion and you're prob just trying to get a rise out out of people anyways.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#7The_Big_Deek(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 12:45:33 PM(edited)
Cartwheel_Kick posted...
Not exactly

In comparison, RE5 - RE6 are not scary because they are linear (so the player has no burden of figuring a way out of the area alive) and you are actually expected to kill every enemy in your way

Whether one prefers one or the other I don't care, but I disagree with your argument that older games were scary only because of angles and controls.

in RE6 you dont need to kill any enemies. you just run past all of them to the next checkpoint. and your wrong that good controls dont make it less scary. RE6 controls MAKE a HUGE difference. when i played RE1 on PS1 i wasnt scared of the stupid zombies i was scared of the crappy one angle camera not showing me everything and the stupid tank controls cause when you try to run away the bad camera and weird controls are unresponsive and you run into zombies or walls and get stuck and then get attacked by them.

in RE6 i can spin my camera around at max speed 360 degrees and see if anything is coming at me. i can also move my character around fluidly and precisely and run around enemies left and right since they still move slowly and retartly. THAT removes alot of the scary element from the game since i can move fast and fluidly while most of the enemies are slow and cumbersome.

ALSO, resident evil 1 was never about killing anything, just runnning away from them. thats why in most RE games enemies keep respawning and why you have a little ammo. the tension is from always moving and being aware. the bad controls made that HARD and SCARY for noobs. in RE6 running away from enemies like in RE1 is so easy for anyone to do even noobs. i played RE5 and hated the tank controls then i played Re6 and thought finally capcom FIXED the dumb controls. the game is now accessible to more people.
---
COD4 >>>>>> BO1 > BO2 >>>>> MW3 >> MW2 > COD3 > WAW > COD2 > COD1
#8XSilverPhoenixXPosted 1/11/2013 12:48:36 PM
The earlier games had better environment design and set pieces, and totally awesome atmospheric music that was both eerie and exciting.
#9tevin1569Posted 1/11/2013 12:53:33 PM
I do kind of agree...I mean you don't see what' in front of you and when you do...I freak and can't shoot..So I agree with most of it..But just the atmosphere helped with the scare. I still think RE6 had a great atmosphere.. I saw a mod for RE5 where the had the fixed camera and it made it a lot freakier(In game, not LIN)...So the camera has a lot to due with it in my opinion. But if I want fixed camera I will go to older titles..But I'll just stick with RE6 for now..Unless I need some Jill pixels...Then I'll head towards RE3.. Controls weren't all bad in older games, the auto aim was nice, but when you had more than one enemy it added on to the "Oh no, what am I going to do situation"..But I won't lie...I feel like that with RE6 where I just have to run...but those darn lizards follow you everywhere!
---
"How about you come down here and I'll show you"- Ada Wong to Derek Simmons (RE6)
#10karyotypePosted 1/11/2013 1:06:10 PM
nemesis, zombies moaning,no bullets and nightmare environment.