Fact= The Scariest thing about Resident Evil was the Bad Camera and Controls.

#21IlDankoPosted 1/11/2013 9:39:26 PM
Dicer7 posted...
DetBeauregard posted...
I'm tired of every game out there now trying to use the same control scheme as every other game. What happened to variety?

This so much.

Gaming this gen has become so homogeneous especially shooters, which is what RE is now. At least the old games had their own identity and charm. I get that the series should evolve over time but when it does it should strive to be a trend setter like RE4, not a follower like RE6 obviously is.

The shooters are homogeneous because they all try to be realistic... The improvement can't go further in this in this genre, COD is stucked in their gameplay, the same as uncharted (hell even The Last Of Us will use the same gameplay as uncharted)... RE has changed their gameplay every game since RE4, and now that CAPCOM gets to make the controls to be more free and comfortable to handle thay get bashed for it... The only thing they need to do to take this franchise to the top again is to develop an open field gameplay (like silent hill downpour), as an other topic said, the tunnel feeling is what keeps this game from being nothing more than a good game...
---
That's when the lights go down and the room turns red
PSN: Dan21993
#22Dicer7Posted 1/11/2013 9:40:32 PM
ZeeDogge posted...
The only trend RE4 started was QTEs. Maybe you should be less of meme follower, and more a functioning human

Just curious, how many games with an over-the-shoulder camera angle did you play before RE4 came out?
---
PSN/GT: Dicer7
#23GoldsicklePosted 1/11/2013 10:04:15 PM
DetBeauregard posted...
I'm tired of every game out there now trying to use the same control scheme as every other game. What happened to variety?

You can't make a totally original control scheme without making it dysfunctional and inefficient, when compared to the more commonly used one.

Early to mid 00's was full of "original" and experimental control schemes, because there was no established standards at the time.
For example, how MGS2 & MGS3 had a default overhead view where you need to stop moving to look around in first person and a weird "hold square to aim, release quickly to shoot" firing mechanics.

One analog for movement, the other for camera and shoulder buttons for aiming/shooting is the most efficient way to control nowadays.

It's amazing how Fatal Frame used this control scheme way back in 2001.
Fatal Frame is ahead of it's time.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#24AnimesetsunaPosted 1/11/2013 10:06:55 PM
I don't have a problem with controls but mostly camera like this one. RE 4 & RE 5 camera are okay for me but this camera really make me want to throw my own controller.
---
http://setsunah.imgur.com
I like Kana Hanazawa so much (@w@)
#25YermomHoudiniPosted 1/11/2013 11:07:44 PM
you guys ever played resistance and fought against those grims? every cocoon you see could hatch and giant amount of enemies could swarm you at any time. it's one of those rare moments that I was actually scared in that game

how about halo? in any dark unlit stage filled with dead bodies is scary as hell, the music, the sort of enemies that come from flood and stuff, they all add up perfectly to deliver a scary moment in games that you would least expect to have fear element.

fear doesn't need bad gameplay or mass QTE spam, fear needs everything to come together to deliver the moment.
---
The Legendary Iron Fisting. Personal best single combo video for Ninja Gaiden.
http://youtu.be/szF_7c-eVIM
#26Omega_Zero_XPPosted 1/11/2013 11:14:12 PM
voice acting.
---
"At least Mr. Salt finally got what he wanted.... Veruca went first." - Grandpa Joe, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
#27YoradaPosted 1/12/2013 2:41:09 AM
DetBeauregard posted...

Fatal Frame has always been my favourite horror series in terms of gameplay and scare factor..
---
Of course any game on the PS2 that includes stealth elements is going to be compared to His Holiness, Solid Snake. - IGN
#28Neutron15Posted 1/12/2013 2:57:23 AM(edited)
ClimAte posted...
DetBeauregard posted...

Fatal Frame has always been my favourite horror series in terms of gameplay and scare factor..

me too, though I can say that it has evolve for the better but those voice acting on the new game (FF2 Remake) is not talk about: lured (lee-urred)
---
The Cycle Of Hatred Can Never Be Broken
Jigoku , Futakomori , Mitsuganae
#29GoldsicklePosted 1/12/2013 5:51:08 AM
ClimAte posted...

The X-Box version of FF2 allows you to play the entire game in first person view.

Totally destroys any argument that "first person view is for shooters only".
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#30YoradaPosted 1/12/2013 6:29:22 AM
ClimAte posted...
DetBeauregard posted...

me too, though I can say that it has evolve for the better but those voice acting on the new game (FF2 Remake) is not talk about: lured (lee-urred)

That's why I enjoyed playing Fatal Frame IV with the English patch. Japanese voices and English subs FTW! Certain games are better suited to this.
---
Of course any game on the PS2 that includes stealth elements is going to be compared to His Holiness, Solid Snake. - IGN