What If Raccoon City Banned Assault Weapons a Month Before the Resident Evil Out

#1skermacPosted 1/17/2013 3:51:47 PM
Interesting article

What If Raccoon City Banned Assault Weapons a Month Before the Resident Evil Outbreak?

With all the talk about gun control and the Second Amendment, people seem to have forgotten the one legitimate threat and the truest reason to keep a gun: zombies. Considering all the scientific advancements, and the insistence to keep government regulation away from business because it ďimpedes progress,Ē the day is not far when some chemical goes down the wrong drain or is dumped in the wrong ditch.

That is the basic idea behind Resident Evil, and it paints a grim picture indeed.

Just imagine: an entire city that repeatedly gets taken over because one corporation insists on conducting the same dangerous experiments. Albert Wesker is the most ruthless entrepreneur of the video game world, but Iím pretty sure his genius intellect is primarily used to lobby against any sort of government regulation.

A bi-weekly progress report, you say? Bah! Is not laissez-faire!

Then, when that ball effectively gets dropped each time, we are forced to confront zombies in Resident Evil and the solution, as always, is a gun. Of course, that doesnít seem illogical at all because, in video games, every solution involves a gun. Poor immigrant trying to make it in the city? Gun. Retired cop looking for work? Gun. Invincible demons raining from the sky? Demon sword and gun.

Why the NRA doesnít like this industry, I have no idea.

Just imagine if there wasnít a gun for all these situations though. Just imagine that, because of hundreds of isolated incidents throughout the country and thousands dead due to gun violence, the government was so rash as to actually bring in some legislation. The five seconds someone would have to spend to call the cops or the five is valuable killing time being wasted on legalities.

Ultimately, there really are two options for the Raccoon City government: one, continue to let every citizen have firearms so they can survive the invasion, or two, hand businesses a set of rules for what they can do. Of course, that second one takes away someoneís right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness because, letís face it, corporations are people too.

Ironically, Resident Evil confirms that random armed individuals donít stop the invasion; they are the invasion. The people actually doing the zombie-killing, for the most part, are trained agents of the law. Of course, Resident Evil also confirms that the ladies will shoot up any guy that lunges for them because he canít resist their brains. I wonder if thatís how women see my advances?

Whatís most scary about zombie invasions, perhaps, is that the only federal solution seems to be containment and explosions. Either the government goes all Avengers and blows up the city or chooses the Dark Knight Rises route and bans everyone from leaving.

Amidst all this, whatever happened to the old, ďsend in the commandoesĒ strategy? I would much rather be saved by Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren and Jean-Claude Van Damme than by using a gun myself or getting blown to bits.

Either way, a million bullets in fifty hands never stops a million zombies with fifty brain cells. So, whatever the solution to the impending zombie crisis may be, the answer is probably not down the barrel of a gun.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/23338/resident-evil-what-if-raccoon-city-banned-assault-weapons-a-month-before-the-resident-evil-outbreak
#2Plant42Posted 1/17/2013 4:22:15 PM
No citizen of Raccoon had an assault weapon as far as I could tell.
#3AnimesetsunaPosted 1/17/2013 4:31:11 PM
They don't sell Machine guns and Assault Rifle. People won't get it.
---
http://setsunah.imgur.com
I(Setsuna Henry) like Kana Hanazawa and wish to CALL HER EVERYDAY
#4Ertrick36Posted 1/17/2013 6:43:16 PM
I saw the actual article before seeing this. F***ing hilarious. Especially the part when he mentioned the NRA (National Rifle Association), a pro gun-rights political interest group that has recently been bashing violent video games because they think those games cause real-life violence (since when did the Middle Eastern insurgents and terrorists play video games?).

Plant42 posted...

Have you ever played Outbreak? In almost all the scenarios (on the easiest difficulty, anyway), you could get your hands on an AR-15 (a 5.56mm assault rifle). Best part was that the characters you could play as ranged from a deadbeat cop to a young Asian school girl to a smart a**, scared-as-s*** subway agent. Plus, I think the guy was referring more to Operation Raccoon City, even though all the characters in that game are trained professionals and were there for sinister purposes anyway. Also, don't forget that in Resident Evil 2, you could get a grenade launcher, a rocket launcher, an M1919 Browning Light Machine Gun (old WWII weapon obviously made in 1919), and a Mac10 Submachine Gun. Last I checked, they all fell under the label of "assault weapon"; that is, they were all designed with the single purpose of killing people quickly and cleanly (that's an oxymoron).

(Note: I use the actual names of some weapons because that's how I identify them. The only basis I have for these labels is their appearance. I am not claiming that these are the actual weapons used in the games I've described, but I am saying they bear a striking resemblance.)
---
What determines whether a game is good is your experience every time you play the game, not the opinions of other people (unless you let it do so).
#5Hawke0Posted 1/17/2013 7:51:42 PM
The link is broken.
---
Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best Capcom games of this generation.
Of course, that's not saying much.
#6Dr_WizardPosted 1/17/2013 8:05:22 PM
To answer your question. RE 2 and 3 would be slightly more difficult... that's all.
---
Psn: Doctor_Wizard
Butt stallion says hello - Handsome Jack
#7Plant42Posted 1/17/2013 8:32:44 PM
Ertrick36 posted...

Plant42 posted...

Have you ever played Outbreak? In almost all the scenarios (on the easiest difficulty, anyway), you could get your hands on an AR-15 (a 5.56mm assault rifle). Best part was that the characters you could play as ranged from a deadbeat cop to a young Asian school girl to a smart a**, scared-as-s*** subway agent. Plus, I think the guy was referring more to Operation Raccoon City, even though all the characters in that game are trained professionals and were there for sinister purposes anyway. Also, don't forget that in Resident Evil 2, you could get a grenade launcher, a rocket launcher, an M1919 Browning Light Machine Gun (old WWII weapon obviously made in 1919), and a Mac10 Submachine Gun. Last I checked, they all fell under the label of "assault weapon"; that is, they were all designed with the single purpose of killing people quickly and cleanly (that's an oxymoron).

(Note: I use the actual names of some weapons because that's how I identify them. The only basis I have for these labels is their appearance. I am not claiming that these are the actual weapons used in the games I've described, but I am saying they bear a striking resemblance.)

How many of those citizens owned those assault weapons? All those RE2 were recovered from the police station.
#8Ertrick36Posted 1/18/2013 12:10:10 AM
Plant42 posted...
Ertrick36 posted...

Plant42 posted...

Have you ever played...

How many of those citizens owned those assault weapons? All those RE2 were recovered from the police station.

In terms of "assault weapons" being owned by the main characters of Outbreak, there was a retired security guard and Vietnam vet who owned a semi-automatic handgun. Also, there's a journalist lady who carries tazer, like the police do in real life. And then there's the deadbeat cop, who has an M1911A1 .45 ACP handgun, which is not part of standard-issue police ordinance; police are only given a Glock 18, an AR-15, a tazer, a baton, a bullet-proof vest (capable of deflecting hollow-point rounds), pepper spray, a knife, handcuffs, and their clothes (which rules out your argument about the RE2 weapons unless Chief Irons bought them illegally or the original owner of the station actually owned those weapons, because the police station sure as heck wasn't given that crap by the city). Basically, any firearm that isn't an AR-15 or a Glock 18 was either bought (legally or otherwise), or was stolen (obviously illegally). Plus, you could find assault rifles just laying around in the Raccoon University or a grenade launcher hidden away in the bathroom of a hotel room. The only way I could see a grenade launcher just laying around in the bathroom in plain sight is if the person who owned that room also legally owned that grenade launcher.

Another strange thing about this, however, is that even though only the deadbeat cop, security/vet guy, and the mysterious plumber rumored to have affiliation with crime have experience handling firearms, even the cheerful, innocent waitress of J's Bar or the harmless school girl can easily master the use of an AR-15, a grenade launcher, a pump-action shotgun, a bolt-action hunting rifle, or even a .44 magnum. If Capcom was making any comment on gun-control, it's that all people (even those of suspicion or gang affiliations) should be allowed to use any and all weapons. That's the connection that the author of this article saw.
---
What determines whether a game is good is your experience every time you play the game, not the opinions of other people (unless you let it do so).
#9edward18Posted 1/18/2013 12:13:13 AM
Seriously? You're bringing this crap here?
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#10PyroSparkPosted 1/18/2013 12:52:44 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]