Showed my students Resident Evil: Damnation

#1ReincloudtPosted 1/20/2013 2:03:46 AM
I'm currently living in South Korea as an English Teacher at a rural elementary school, and I want to start my vacation on a stress-free note, so this past Thursday and Friday instead of typical English lessons I treated my 1st-4th graders to a a viewing of Resident Evil: Damnation.

And they loved it! It was amusing to observe how genuinely scared most of the students were during the early parts of the film, and how their jaws dropped during the action sequences, particularly the fight with Ada and the president, as well as scenes where the tyrants appear.

After the movie we had a small discussion about the film. Since English is their second language I had to keep the question very simple. For example, I would write on the white board:

Q: "Who is your favorite character?"

Now, I assumed most of the students would pick Leon (and a few did), but I surprised to discover that Buddy/Sasha was more positively received.

Typical responses were, " My favorite character is Buddy because he is handsome/brave/strong."

The adjective "handsome" was mostly spoken to describe Buddy, and who am I to argue, he's not bad-looking at all (I'm surprised there's not a lot of Leon x Buddy images on tumblr, or perhaps I haven't discovered them yet...).

As far as least favorite characters, the tyrants were most unpopular. When I asked why, the students responded with the Korean word '잔인한', which, upon referring to google translate, means 'cruel'.

So the students learn a new word in 'cruel', but for a Korean child it's very difficult to pronounce!

One particular 2nd grader mentioned his least favorite character was J.D simply because he is fat... yet the same student is a bit overweight himself. Perhaps J.D is a reflection of his own insecurities with his weight?
---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/teagod/
#2PyroSparkPosted 1/20/2013 2:05:02 AM
Cool to hear. :D
---
rexator-"Make it a money match so that the winner gets to crap in the other's mouth." PSN: PyroSpark7
#3ZDrifter9000Posted 1/20/2013 2:16:58 AM(edited)
Cool Story Joe.

Did you at least give them South Korean subtitles? My favorite character is the Licker by the way...

And since you're in the business of showing your pre-puberty achieving students animated films, I recommend you show them
Dead Space: Aftermath next.
---
psn - ZDRIFTER9000_XII
~ Albert Wesker Fan Club ~
#4UltimateGeth39Posted 1/20/2013 2:16:40 AM
should have showed them degeneration then damnation both are amazing in my opinion.
#5MonkeyKrazy07Posted 1/20/2013 2:19:39 AM
..you're showing 2nd graders a Resident Evil movie, with all that swearing, violence, gore, and nudity? ..shame on you. >_____>
---
Resident Evil (Remake) 'n' Haunting Ground are two of the best games ever made by Capcom.
#6AnimesetsunaPosted 1/20/2013 2:31:10 AM(edited)
Are your students both males and females?

Anyway, Buddy is really a cool character because he is more serious than girly Leon.

---
http://setsunah.imgur.com
I(Setsuna Henry) like Kana Hanazawa & Yui Ogura and wish to CALL THEM EVERYDAY
#7PyroSparkPosted 1/20/2013 3:10:18 AM
Animesetsuna posted...
Are your students both males and females?

Anyway, Buddy is really a cool character because he is more serious than girly Leon.

Wesker>Leon>the rest
---
rexator-"Make it a money match so that the winner gets to crap in the other's mouth." PSN: PyroSpark7
#8nina_chanPosted 1/20/2013 4:27:53 AM
I thought the physics effects on the tea when Ada flips the table over was amazing. Just look at those tea droplets! :o
#9NorseLeavesPosted 1/20/2013 4:31:42 AM
TC, you do realize that RED is rated 18+ (or R18) in South Korea and this so-called accompanying an adult guardian (in this case you) does not apply to your educational purpose movie session because unlike R-rated films in America, they are not allowed to watch 18+ movies under any circumstances. This movie is not for little kids...
I really hope you were just kidding.
#10YermomHoudiniPosted 1/20/2013 5:43:52 AM(edited)
You should have showed them The Raid Redemption, every boy who watched turn into a man, and every girl who watched it will grow the pair and turn into a man too.
---
The Legendary Iron Fisting. Personal best single combo video for Ninja Gaiden.
http://youtu.be/szF_7c-eVIM