So Was this game as bad as every critic says?

#1FallenLondonPosted 1/20/2013 9:11:37 PM
This game recieved abysmal scores from almost everyone, wondering If it's as bad as most critics say.

Even the fan defending the game couldnt offer too much praise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EGku-Kqy9I
---
"Heh heh Allllriiiiighht...."
Proud member of the Mickie Maniacs
#2Hawke0Posted 1/20/2013 9:20:37 PM
There were only a handful of abysmal reviews, a number of lukewarm reviews, and a considerable number of positive reviews.
Is it as bad as some reviews made it out to be? No. Is it as good as some reviews made it to be? No. It's a good game, but it's not a great game nor a bad game.
---
Monster Hunter Tri is one of the best Capcom games of this generation.
Of course, that's not saying much.
#3darkvoid2100Posted 1/20/2013 9:55:41 PM
Not as bad as they say, the lower scores were a bit too harsh. However as a big fan of 1-5 (yep, im an old and new fan)I think this is probably the worst one down there with zero.
---
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/3720/89106594.jpg
#4PyroSparkPosted 1/20/2013 10:09:51 PM(edited)
Oh hell no. And after this patch, I think the game will be a solid 9 out of 10.

Right now it's a 9.5 for me personally. But I do see it's flaws and with the last patch, combined with the new patch, should kill the majority of those flaws.
---
rexator-"Make it a money match so that the winner gets to crap in the other's mouth." PSN: PyroSpark7
#5Endless_NightPosted 1/20/2013 10:28:33 PM
The gameplay was really a big improvement but everything was pretty much a step back.

But more than a 'bad' game, it's annoying. How the game limit your action and view during 'cinematic' time (imagine going through the entire tutorial and then start on Leon's campaign, I almost throw my controller across the room), QTEs, vulnerability frames (be it recovering or enemy lying on the floor), limited weapon selection, inventory, QTEs and more QTEs, especially on higher difficulties.

I've played RE2-5 and I enjoyed all of them. RE6 however, it's just annoying. Yes, it's fun but you have to get used to the annoying part first.
---
Everything stemmed from Chaos, Aligned to Cosmos, Brought forth by Space, Woven with Time and Governed by Gravity.
#6Dicer7Posted 1/20/2013 10:31:29 PM
darkvoid2100 posted...
Not as bad as they say, the lower scores were a bit too harsh. However as a big fan of 1-5 (yep, im an old and new fan)I think this is probably the worst one down there with zero.

Pretty much what I think. It's average at best but in no way lives up to the pedigree of the main series.
#7Ertrick36Posted 1/20/2013 10:48:43 PM(edited)
Okay, here we go...

The only way for you to know is if you actually play the game. However, I suspect that there are some elements that appeal to some and that repulse others. I'll break down what I've heard about the game in the same format as reviews go:

Gameplay:

From what I can tell, it's a lot like RE 4, 5, and ORC, and almost nothing like RE 1-3 or other associated "classic" titles; you've got an over-the-shoulder viewpoint, a firearm, and some equipment. From what I've heard, there is an upgrade system for the weapons. It probably runs like RE4 or 5, and you can run and shoot with your weapons. Not only that, but it also pits you with an AI partner (this is where you can play co-op, and have the other player play as the second character); I have no confirmation on the AI behaviors, though I suspect that they may be lackluster until the update for this game comes in (if it hasn't already). There's also an online version of this game, though I have no idea what the game modes are; all I know for sure is there's a mercenaries game mode. Oh, and I hear there are a ton of QTE's similar to those in RE4, except the prompts are pretty awful (might be fixed with the update).

Storyline:

I've heard numerous things about the story. You get to play through four campaigns; Leon S Kennedy, Chris Redfield, Jake, and Ada Wong are all playable characters. From what I've seen in demos and reviews and whatnot, Leon in this game is similar to Leon in RE4, though I think he might have had a change in voice actors between games. Chris is a drunken soldier out of work and plans; that's all I can gather, and that might even be wrong. Jake is a newcomer, and appears to be superhuman. I have no confirmation on Ada Wong. From what I suspect, it's very much action filled, which appeals to some and repulses others. I suspect the characters are similar in personality to Hollywood action-heroes (you guy's gotta eventually get tired of hearing that BS from me, right?)

Graphics/Sound:

I hear a lot of things about these elements of the game too. I do not have a fondness for discussing the graphics or sounds of a game, so I'll make this quick; they don't seem to be too bad, from what I can tell. Go ask someone else if you really care that much about this element of the game.

Conclusion (I left out playtime/replayability because those elements can only come from someone who has beaten the game):

If you are one of those hipster gamers (f*** the term "Luddite") that really want to stick to the old RE formula, I really don't think that any of the gameplay elements or the story would necessarily appeal to you if all I've heard is true. If you liked RE4, 5, or possibly ORC (that might be stretching it, though), you just might like this game. Like I said, the only way for you to tell is to buy the game. I may wait for a little longer, but I might settle for $35. Once I obtain and beat the game, I'll give everyone an informed, honest opinion. Until then, I'll just spout rumors...
---
What determines whether a game is good is your experience every time you play the game, not the opinions of other people (unless you let it do so).
#8DreamCast_RocksPosted 1/20/2013 11:13:20 PM
You mean the critics who wrote how bad this game was on 5 pages but never used counters, slides or CDGs in their video review? The same people who rarely covered mercenaries mode? Those who praised QTEs in RE4 but hated this game for them? Yes, this game is definitely better. And don't even listen to people who run out of ammo and herbs in this game. They are simply playing it wrong.
#9AnimesetsunaPosted 1/20/2013 11:38:47 PM
I just play it since it's RE. Don't care it's good or bad.
---
http://setsunah.imgur.com
I(Setsuna Henry) like Kana Hanazawa & Yui Ogura and wish to CALL THEM EVERYDAY
#10Spade59Posted 1/21/2013 6:45:52 AM
FallenLondon posted...
This game recieved abysmal scores from almost everyone, wondering If it's as bad as most critics say.

Yes. In some cases even worse. Many reviews criticize the game heavily but the score doesn't match the content of the review. IGN's 7.9, for example.

Destructoid, Giant Bomb and Gamespot have the most accurate reviews of RE6.