Is it that hard to think about the Chapter Select /stage select and QTE help...

#11DreamCast_RocksPosted 1/22/2013 11:58:07 AM
squiggy9996999 posted...
^because they were new at the time.

it's like drum and bass music (and soon dubstep) - everyone loves it when it comes out and a year later nobody wants it. but at least music goes away when nobody wants to hear it. stupid game devs with no ideas are stuck doing the same crap over and over.

Well I played Shemue, a game that QTEs take a major part later in the game, back in '99. The game received much media attention and praise, as well as numerous GOTYs at that time. The sequel that came out before RE4 had QTEs too. I don't think QTE was considered NEW when RE4 came out 6 years later. You mentioned music genre in comparison, but QTE isn't actually just a video game thing. It's about testing your reflex and there are various forms in real life that serve the same purpose. Ever played 'raising flag' with your friends? Not to mention many card games such as spit are all about fast reaction. And they have been existing for a long long time.
So I wonder, why is it such crime when a video game simply adapts what people always have enjoyed?
Sure I bought an action game. But I wouldn't mind brief moments of mini games and much rather take a part when my chopper loses control than sitting there do nothing.
#12ShinWesker(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 1:45:41 PM
DreamCast_Rocks posted...
squiggy9996999 posted...
^because they were new at the time.

it's like drum and bass music (and soon dubstep) - everyone loves it when it comes out and a year later nobody wants it. but at least music goes away when nobody wants to hear it. stupid game devs with no ideas are stuck doing the same crap over and over.

Well I played Shemue, a game that QTEs take a major part later in the game, back in '99. The game received much media attention and praise, as well as numerous GOTYs at that time. The sequel that came out before RE4 had QTEs too. I don't think QTE was considered NEW when RE4 came out 6 years later. You mentioned music genre in comparison, but QTE isn't actually just a video game thing. It's about testing your reflex and there are various forms in real life that serve the same purpose. Ever played 'raising flag' with your friends? Not to mention many card games such as spit are all about fast reaction. And they have been existing for a long long time.
So I wonder, why is it such crime when a video game simply adapts what people always have enjoyed?
Sure I bought an action game. But I wouldn't mind brief moments of mini games and much rather take a part when my chopper loses control than sitting there do nothing.

It just breaks the flow of the game. Raising the flag and card games are 100% "QTE", but adding 10% to your 90% Action game /RPG or whatever is a terrible idea.

What did this accomplish?

- Watch cutscene
- Jake and Sherry hanging on the plane...
- SUDDENLY quicktime (and you know how fast it is on Pro)
- Big chance that you will die especially if you have never seen it before.
- Die
- But what did it accomplish? Am I a bad player now? No because...
- YOU CONTINUE AT THE SAME PART AND KNOW WHICH BUTTON TO PRESS
- it is just a waste of time.
---
Shadows of the Damned is an awesome game.
#13DetBeauregardPosted 1/22/2013 4:03:28 PM
QTEs do indeed suck. The thing is, though, does anyone know which specific QTEs the new option helps with? I played Jake's second chapter today and it didn't help me at all on the digger QTE at the end...