Why everyone hated Sheva but they loved Helena?

#51foodeater4Posted 1/23/2013 4:29:46 PM
I never had any issues with Sheva. I played on normal my first time though and I saw pretty early on Sheva was waiting all the good ammo so I just kept her with a hand gun. When I replayed the game on Veteran and Prof while controlling Sheva, now Chris, well he's a total dumbass who dies to much.

I really would have preferd to have Jill or Sheva back in RE6 instead of Piers.
#52RedEyeSurprisePosted 1/23/2013 5:32:47 PM
She was a totally forced / tacked on African character, because of the racism issue...... In the same fashion how Chinese (Asian) people were "forced" in as the new enemies for RE6.

I personally, thought Sheva was boring (hot, but still boring)..... but nowhere close to as boring as Josh was.... or that other dude who flew the helicopter in "Desperate Escape"----- (with the embarrassingly obvious stereotypical depiction).

I own RE5 on both PS3, and Xbox and have played through both versions more times than I can even remember........

........ thinking about it now, I still don't remember what the hell Sheva's story even was. I mean didn't Josh have more rank over her? Ugh, I just vaguely remember something about her "fallen brothers" or some blah, blah.... (Which case in point, was "a forced apology" written between the lines).

I'm half black, and half Puerto Rican and was fine with Sheva's "blandness" until she stepped in last minute to aid in Wesker's (probably one of my top favorite villains of all time) demise..... She had no goddamn business standing in for that moment when it rightfully should have been Jill, or any other character who had a connection to Wesker.

I liked Helena a lot but was disappointed that her storyline was wrapped up by the end of Chapter 2.... She had a cool style.... wasn't overly sexual-ized like Rachel, or Sheva for that matter but was still sexy..... in the end, she had potential---- too bad just like with Billy we'll probably never see her again.

But at the end of the day as they say, "to each's own"..... Hell, why do people hate Chris but like Leon so much? This I've never been able to understand.

I want an answer.

;^)
#53sbn4Posted 1/23/2013 5:34:25 PM
I liked Sheva more than Helena both aesthetically and character wise. While Helena has grown on me, I never really liked how evasive she was at the start of the campaign and how she received no jail time for her actions.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#54_Shuyin_Posted 1/24/2013 5:28:57 PM
Leon is popular because of his personality. Whether they like RE2 Leon, who is an obvious rookie but with a strong sense of duty, or RE4 Leon, who is both very confident and very cocky. (RE6 Leon is kinda in the middle, but I think people tend to like either extreme of his personality).

In some way or another, he's simply more interesting to watch over Chris Redfield, who is much closer to the stereotypical "action hero" character. Even in RE1 and CVX, he never had much of a personality outside of that character trait.

RE6 SPOILERS!!!!!!!

`
`
`
Although I must admit, I think Chris actually gains some personality in RE6. Him becoming a drunk looking for redemption was a nice change. I also loved how obsessed he was with finding "Ada", cursing her name out and telling Piers to shut up whenever he tried to calm him down. It was a very different way to see "the legendary Chris Redfield", and I loved it.
`
`
`
END SPOILERS!!!!
---
"Your effort is for naught. How long do you plan to keep this up?"
~Haunting Ground
#55DetBeauregardPosted 1/24/2013 5:36:19 PM
_Shuyin_ posted...
Leon is popular because of his personality. Whether they like RE2 Leon, who is an obvious rookie but with a strong sense of duty, or RE4 Leon, who is both very confident and very cocky. (RE6 Leon is kinda in the middle, but I think people tend to like either extreme of his personality).

In some way or another, he's simply more interesting to watch over Chris Redfield, who is much closer to the stereotypical "action hero" character. Even in RE1 and CVX, he never had much of a personality outside of that character trait.

Although I must admit, I think Chris actually gains some personality in RE6. Him becoming a drunk looking for redemption was a nice change. I also loved how obsessed he was with finding "Ada", cursing her name out and telling Piers to shut up whenever he tried to calm him down. It was a very different way to see "the legendary Chris Redfield", and I loved it.

I agree with all of this!
#56dr_zombergPosted 1/25/2013 3:22:16 PM(edited)
Miku_369 posted...
dr_zomberg posted...
and no, dont come at me saying "but capcom said she was developed from the start".

then please tell me why the first two trailers featured chris fighting alone, is alone in cinemas where in the finished game they both appear. and why she wasnt mentioned.

but she was, the reason why the first two trailers only featured Chris was because you were supposed to go it alone until later in the game when Sheva is introduced and becomes Chris's partner for the rest of the game. Like what a previous poster said about MGS2, Sheva was supposed to be kept a secret until release but thanks to the backlash from the trailers it forced Capcom's hand regarding Sheva so they had to reveal her earlier than intended.

ah but thats where you are wrong, sheva was never to be kept secret, unlike raiden who was deliberately and intentionally kept secret.

after the racist backlash from soccer moms, BAM! new trailer featuring sheva with chris at all times, some in the same scenes, and no more "i have a jod to do, and im gonna see it through" and more "we're partnahs.... to the end!!!!!!".

and also that it was her, not jill, who took the other RPG and offed wesker. that was the biggest insult to day 1 fans ever. i followed the epic dramatic confrontation between chris/jill and wesker... only to be concluded by a stranger we will probably never see in another RE game ever again. i would have been happy if barry (a chracter considered at initial development) used the other rocket, and instead of saying some corny BS like "this is for our fallen brothers" he would say something like "PAYBACK, B****!"
---
GT/PSN: KRISHANKO
Iraq was very clearly going to be Iraq's first target --Choleric_Llama
#57Mister_ZurkonPosted 1/25/2013 3:18:40 PM
I liked both, But Helena actually has a character arc, and isn't just a story passive side kick like the other RE5/6 partners.
---
I prefer Genaro's. But what do I know? I'm a bear. I suck the heads off fish! - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
#58good_tobiPosted 1/26/2013 5:54:37 AM
_Shuyin_ posted...

nice observation
---
Don't need sharingan to see this.
#59loverboyyssPosted 1/26/2013 5:56:57 AM
dr_zomberg posted...
first and foremost, her skin color has nothing to do with my hatred as i actually find her quite attractive. she could be purple skinned for all i care.

why i hate sheva:

introduced at the last minute to force coop on the game.
and no, dont come at me saying "but capcom said she was developed from the start".

then please tell me why the first two trailers featured chris fighting alone, is alone in cinemas where in the finished game they both appear. and why she wasnt mentioned.

I you see the concept art for RE5, you'll know that yes, Sheva had been developed from the start.

All the whiners fanboys can cry their hearts out, but Sheva was always there.
#60dr_zombergPosted 1/26/2013 12:53:21 PM
because apparenty there cant be concept art of a character made later, huh?
and after close inspection of ALL concept art... and using your own logic, it seems battlesuit jill doesnt exist.
---
GT/PSN: KRISHANKO
Iraq was very clearly going to be Iraq's first target --Choleric_Llama