Did... did the 1.04 update just ruin my PS3...?

#1Gigafreak gfPosted 1/23/2013 8:51:27 PM
So I installed the update, turned on the QTE assist feature (because screw cutscene deaths), and went to Leon Ch.3-1 on Normal because I was missing the Spiders from my enemy list. The PS3 was being noisier than normal but I paid it no mind. Soon after Leon and Helena get split up during the wading-in-water section, the game froze.

Now I can't get the PS3 to acknowledge there's a game disc in it. I can insert a disc fine, I can eject it fine, but no disc option appears in the GAME menu of the PS3's main menu (also tested with Resident Evil 5 and Final Fantasy XIII, neither of which received any acknowledgement from the PS3).

This console's a bit old, but it was working perfectly well two days ago. I don't want it to be broken-- it's one of the discontinued backward-compatible ones...
#2blazerMFTPosted 1/23/2013 8:55:52 PM
Sounds like what happened to me before. Your BD reader could have already failed.

Mine went through exactly what you described about 2 years ago, but it wasn't the result of any update. I had it serviced at Sony and they replaced the reader whilst retaining the unit (also one of the BC compatible ones.)
---
Member of CMWABME
Awesomeness Redefined
#3Gigafreak gf(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 8:59:25 PM
IblazerMFT posted...
Sounds like what happened to me before. Your BD reader could have already failed.

Mine went through exactly what you described about 2 years ago, but it wasn't the result of any update. I had it serviced at Sony and they replaced the reader whilst retaining the unit (also one of the BC compatible ones.)

Does it need to be still within warranty? Where can I look for more information? Not sure what to google for-- I can't get an error code if the PS3 doesn't realize there's an error to begin with.
#4IlDankoPosted 1/23/2013 8:59:31 PM
Let it fall to the ground from a moderate height.. There's nothing a little hit can't solve
---
I will suffer, I will burn, let hate prevail enslaved my soul but I'll never surrender
PSN: Dan21993
#5Gigafreak gf(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 9:01:36 PM
IlDanko posted...
Let it fall to the ground from a moderate height.. There's nothing a little hit can't solve

...Thank you for your input. : |
#6WaterGod469Posted 1/23/2013 9:08:37 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7WaterGod469Posted 1/23/2013 9:13:32 PM
Step 1: Turn off the PlayStation 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2:
Touch and hold the Power button (do not remove your finger from the button). You will hear the first beep, meaning the PlayStation 3 is powering on.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

Step 3:
Touch and hold the Power button (again, do not remove your finger from the button). As in Step 2, you will hear the first beep, again for the PlayStation 3 to power on.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PlayStation 3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode.
You will now see the Safe Mode menu.

Choose restore file system (this does not delete data).
---
PSN: waterguy469
#8AnimesetsunaPosted 1/23/2013 9:22:34 PM
Your console is phat?
---
http://setsunah.imgur.com
I(Setsuna Henry) like Kana Hanazawa & Yui Ogura and wish to CALL THEM EVERYDAY
#9Gigafreak gf(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 9:30:12 PM(edited)
WaterGod469 posted...
Step 1: Turn off the PlayStation 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2:
Touch and hold the Power button (do not remove your finger from the button). You will hear the first beep, meaning the PlayStation 3 is powering on.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

Step 3:
Touch and hold the Power button (again, do not remove your finger from the button). As in Step 2, you will hear the first beep, again for the PlayStation 3 to power on.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.
Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

Connect a USB cable to the controller and the PlayStation 3 and press the PS button to enter Safe Mode.
You will now see the Safe Mode menu.

Choose restore file system (this does not delete data).

Thanks for the info, I just tried this. Was worried when it said the file system was corrupted and needed restoring, but figured that was just part of the forced-file-restore process.

Now... my PS3 is exactly the same as before, which is to say it still has the problem and still doesn't read discs. I even tried putting in an XBox 360 disc into the PS3 just to see if it would react. It didn't.

I don't even hear the usual soft whirring of the motor spinning the disc...

EDIT:
Animesetsuna posted...
Your console is phat?

Yes, I think so. It's not one of the newer Slim models, if that's what you mean. This one was purchased less than a year after launch, if memory serves (despite my own protests at the time).
#10ravenscourgePosted 1/23/2013 9:37:23 PM
Well, it's had a decent life then... for a modern console anyway.

I'd lament the loss too, for sure. Especially a BC one. I'm sure Sony would repair it, but after all this time they will probably charge you a pretty penny.
---
XBL - k0mRaDe Kr1m5oN PSN - ravenscourge
Sindel, Kitana, and Raiden. <3