Did... did the 1.04 update just ruin my PS3...?

#11Stoneman80Posted 1/23/2013 9:47:01 PM
Oddly enough, my BD drive failed right before I bought this game. I actually exchanged the game for another copy before I figured out it wasn't the game.

Other things to check to see if it's the drive: pop in a DVD and see if it plays.

Sony probably will fix it for you, but unless it's still under warranty they're going to charge you. When I was doing my research, it was being said that they were charging $150 for the repair. Meanwhile, you can always hit up Amazon or eBay and pick up a new BluRay drive for $80ish and replace your dead one. It's rather easy to do, actually.
#12Gigafreak gf(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 9:56:51 PM
Stoneman80 posted...
Oddly enough, my BD drive failed right before I bought this game. I actually exchanged the game for another copy before I figured out it wasn't the game.

Other things to check to see if it's the drive: pop in a DVD and see if it plays.

Sony probably will fix it for you, but unless it's still under warranty they're going to charge you. When I was doing my research, it was being said that they were charging $150 for the repair. Meanwhile, you can always hit up Amazon or eBay and pick up a new BluRay drive for $80ish and replace your dead one. It's rather easy to do, actually.

I've got butterfingers and I'm also a big chicken*. I think I'll go with paying extra to have a professional fix it, since I can't exactly buy a new backward-compatible one under that price. Could you point me where to find more information about sending it in for repairs?

*(A chicken playing Resident Evil? Yeah, this one's not really scary but I think the combat is still pretty fun. Revelations did a good job keeping me hooked despite being quite scary at times... but I digress.)
#13BasementDudePosted 1/23/2013 10:15:03 PM
sony might replace your fat with a slim for $150. they did for me
---
number of e-huggies received today: 10,000
number of e-huggies wanted daily: 1,000,000 total e-huggies received: 216,994,952
#14Gigafreak gf(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 12:30:26 AM
BasementDude posted...
sony might replace your fat with a slim for $150. they did for me

Yeek. That'd be bad in this case. Decisions...
#15blazerMFTPosted 1/24/2013 1:06:27 AM
TC, sorry I only came back to this thread now.

Mine was a phat and was already out of warranty when I had it serviced. I assume you are living in NA though, I live in Asia and all I had to do is go to their SonyStyle center, and hand the system in. The repair cost me a cool 700 HKD I remember (that was about 2 years ago), probably the equivalent of 100 USD.

Now that you have restored the system and it still can't read or even recognize discs, I'm pretty sure your BD drive bit the dust. You can still try your luck though, I'm not sure about Sony's repair policy in the US, but maybe they can just replace the BD drive and that's it? Probably won't do any harm to ask. I feel your pain, it would suck to hand in a BC console, pay up and get a non-BC unit. >_<

As a last ditch, would you be aware of any non-official repair centers that service PS3s? I'm sure there should be at least a few.

Good luck.
---
Member of CMWABME
Awesomeness Redefined
#16good_tobiPosted 1/24/2013 5:31:08 AM
Gigafreak gf posted...
The PS3 was being noisier than normal but I paid it no mind.

Now I can't get the PS3 to acknowledge there's a game disc in it. I can insert a disc fine, I can eject it fine, but no disc option appears in the GAME menu of the PS3's main menu

sadly your ps3 is gone, time to get a new one/repair it. I say it again, if one hear noises while playing the game very often, its best not to play the game/use the disc, its a warning that your disc motor is coping very hard to run the game. I don't understand why people ignore it saying that its normal but its NOT.

btw, its not update's fault.
---
Don't need sharingan to see this.
#17viper9xPosted 1/24/2013 5:40:34 AM
sounds like the BD unit has died for sure. Have you tested the drive to see if it will play video DVDs, Audio CDs etc?

Given that you stated it's a backwards compatible PS3, im absolutley certain that the BD drive had died from general wear and tear and not as a result of any software patch. Frankly im surprised it's lasted as long as it has, my BC 60gig ps3 died back in autumn 2010.