So I heard a crazy classic fan say why he liked the old games more

#1PyroSparkPosted 1/24/2013 6:51:28 PM
"The fixed camera angles were great. They made it scary because you can't see what's a ahead of you."

So if they made the camera angles normal, it wouldn't be scary?

"Yeah, it's not scary if you can see."

And THAT is a nostalgia-addict.
---
rexator-"Make it a money match so that the winner gets to crap in the other's mouth." PSN: PyroSpark7
#2DetBeauregardPosted 1/24/2013 6:55:08 PM
Oh no, an opinion that differs from yours!

I don't think any RE game was ever "scary," but the older ones had a sense of immersion and atmosphere that the newer ones mostly lack. Playing through the RPD with behind-the-shoulder view, for example, would still be eerie.
#3CDuGPosted 1/24/2013 6:56:42 PM
The fixed camera angles or "cinematic" views in this game are the worst part. Because when I'm being chased by a giant monster, I really want the view to change towards me, then to the side, then behind me, then beside, disorienting me and doing exactly what the old games did. Making you die frustratingly, not because the actual task is hard, but because the game can't decide where it wants you to look.
#4AndyDonoPosted 1/24/2013 6:57:24 PM
DetBeauregard posted...

---
I`m neither an ally of yours nor a tool of those police who think themselves men of justice. I live as I think is right. -Saeba Ryo (City Hunter)
#5PyroSpark(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 6:57:36 PM
DetBeauregard posted...

I don't think any RE game was ever "scary," but the older ones had a sense of immersion and atmosphere that the newer ones mostly lack. Playing through the RPD with behind-the-shoulder view, for example, would still be eerie.

A drunken nostalgia opinion that differs from the majority, thank Goodness.
---
rexator-"Make it a money match so that the winner gets to crap in the other's mouth." PSN: PyroSpark7
#6edward18Posted 1/24/2013 7:01:02 PM
it's still an opinion as you give yours
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#7notrandomPosted 1/24/2013 7:05:50 PM
CDuG posted...
The fixed camera angles or "cinematic" views in this game are the worst part. Because when I'm being chased by a giant monster, I really want the view to change towards me, then to the side, then behind me, then beside, disorienting me and doing exactly what the old games did. Making you die frustratingly, not because the actual task is hard, but because the game can't decide where it wants you to look.

This is why I'll never understand why people like the stupid fixed camera angles.

My only death in the first RE happened because two hunters happened to be in a hallway and when I tried to move further in to get the camera to change and let me see one of them jumped me and then they took perfect turns attacking me trapping me in some kind of infinite where I couldn't raise my gun and fire.
That's not hard, that's not scary, that's stupid as hell and annoying.
---
Say no to EA and Ubisoft's online passes. Say no to Capcom and Activision's scummy DLC ways. Say no to NISA's terrible and unfaithful localizations.
#8AyumiSqueezetoyPosted 1/24/2013 7:08:58 PM
the fixed camera angles did add atmosphere, but damaged gameplay.

Some people like the action game aspect of RE and that's fine.

But is it such a stretch to think that some people liked the old REs because of the atmosphere and creepiness, and the shooty-shooty was almost incidental to their enjoyment?
---
The Reclamation is resting >_>
#9PyroSpark(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 7:11:28 PM
AyumiSqueezetoy posted...
the fixed camera angles did add atmosphere, but damaged gameplay.

Some people like the action game aspect of RE and that's fine.

But is it such a stretch to think that some people liked the old REs because of the atmosphere and creepiness, and the shooty-shooty was almost incidental to their enjoyment?

I'd think it's stretch to think that some people liked the old REs for a part that's simply bad game design that you're forced to get used to.

Like, I'm not gonna go and say "my favorite part of RE6 is this particular lightning fast QTE that killed me on my first try!"
---
#10DetBeauregardPosted 1/24/2013 7:15:40 PM
CDuG posted...

It's annoying for sure. The older games never did this; the fixed camera may have taken time to get used to, but once you did it wasn't difficult. RE6 throwing these curveballs in there simply wasn't fun.