Just got this... good I didn't pay the full price on release...

#1Link_AJPosted 1/28/2013 12:30:55 AM(edited)
I'm a big RE fan, but this one really disappoints me. I just completed the prologue and first Leon chapter and this is what I think so far:

- Controls are sucky.
So they tried to improve the tankish RE4 controls, but this is worse. There are two movement speeds; walking slow or running fast. Why nothing in between, we've got analog sticks, use them! Also looking around feels off, maybe I should play with the sensitivity options a bit. Also I liked being able to turn 180 degrees and run away, whenever there were too many zombies, is this still in the game?

- Camera is bad
I can't see what's going on. The camera is too close to my character. It's like 2/3 of my screen is blocked by Leon. The Field of View is too narrow. And sometimes also my partner is standing next to my and also blocks the screen.

- More quick time events, really?
And they're even more complex now. It feels like I'm playing some Mario Party minigame. Why solve every player action with another QTE, can't they think of anything else?

- Game darkness is off...
Darkness is good for horror games, but sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on stuff. Characters are seeing things in cutscenes, while I have no idea whats going on, because everything is so dark. At the darkness calibration they say I should barely see the 6, but I can still see it fine, and still I have no idea whats going on sometimes... I tried turning up the brightness, but it only makes the light parts more light, but the darkness still stays black as ever.
#2xKazeruxPosted 1/28/2013 12:43:03 AM
Link_AJ posted...
I'm a big RE fan, but this one really disappoints me. I just completed the prologue and first Leon chapter and this is what I think so far:

- Controls are sucky.
So they tried to improve the tankish RE4 controls, but this is worse. There are two movement speeds; walking slow or running fast. Why nothing in between, we've got analog sticks, use them! Also looking around feels off, maybe I should play with the sensitivity options a bit. Also I liked being able to turn 180 degrees and run away, whenever there were too many zombies, is this still in the game?

- Camera is bad
I can't see what's going on. The camera is too close to my character. It's like 2/3 of my screen is blocked by Leon. The Field of View is too narrow. And sometimes also my partner is standing next to my and also blocks the screen.

And they're even more complex now. It feels like I'm playing some Mario Party minigame. Why solve every player action with another QTE, can't they think of anything else?

Darkness is good for horror games, but sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on stuff. Characters are seeing things in cutscenes, while I have no idea whats going on, because everything is so dark. At the darkness calibration they say I should barely see the 6, but I can still see it fine, and still I have no idea whats going on sometimes... I tried turning up the brightness, but it only makes the light parts more light, but the darkness still stays black as ever.

To each their own, I guess. I really enjoyed this RE.

Controls: They took some getting used to, but now I love them and the freedom you have. The quick turn is still there, but it's not as useful as it was in previous games. I do recommend messing with the sensitivity options though.

You can change the field of view in the options, but unfortunately you have to exit the game every time you want to make adjustments. I zoomed most of the options out as far as possible and it makes things a lot better.

QTEs: Yeah, can't really comment there. I don't mind them but almost everyone hates 'em.

Darkness: Yeah, I had to put brightness all the way up to see most things..

Just know that the "horror" kind of dies down as you go on.
---
PSN: KazimusPrime // XBL: xKazerux
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/KazimusPrime.png
#3Candy__GirlPosted 1/28/2013 1:27:26 AM(edited)
Link_AJ posted...

- Controls are sucky.

Mess with your sensitivity. Keep playing. You'll get used to the controls. I too miss the fluid quick turn around but since they gave us many more options for the characters movements it even's itself out. I like to think of RE4 controls being rigid and precise (like a square) while Re6 controls are more fluid (like a circle.)

- Camera is bad

In settings you can change the camera to back off your character so you can see more of your surroundings. This was an update added to the game well after it's release back in October. Since I bought the game on it's release date I'm used to the original camera and changing it feels wrong at this point. Find out what camera distance you like best since you're fortunate enough to have options from the beginning of your RE6 experience.

I'm a huge fan of RE4 and have played it countless times. I thought Leon took up more of the screen in RE4 than most the characters did in RE6. (<--Chris is excluded from this)

Thanks to yet another update to change the game play you have the option to turn those off. Check settings. I didn't mind them my first play through. They kept my on my toes. Made the game a bit more challenging. Were they annoying sometimes? Yes, of course since if you miss them they're usually a one hit death. If you really hate them just turn them off. You now have the power to do so.

Just out of curiosity what type of t.v are you playing it on? Every t.v is slightly different when it comes to color settings and how light or dark they run. It is a pretty dark game so I have my 'darkness' in game turned to the lightest setting and it looks perfect. Nothings too dark or too washed out.
#4SunricerPosted 1/28/2013 4:46:21 AM
I changed the camera to 10 on each of the 3 options and found it a lot more enjoyable after that. Once you get used the controls, going back to RE4/5 feels weird, in my opinion.

I'm glad I got this after it dropped in price and they patched in those camera options. >_>
I'm having fun after I got used to the controls and changed the camera though. (Didn't like the demo much)

On a side note: I love the slide quick turn move.. <_<
---
http://oi47.tinypic.com/ofbvav.jpg