Would anyone be willing to settle for a compromise of both gameplay styles?

#1Coryo61827Posted 1/30/2013 10:45:39 AM
For a future resident evil title? I'm not gonna lie, there are things from both modern and classic gameplay styles. For the modern games, I love the aim and shoot over the shoulder mechanics. It pulls you into the gameplay more than the older games. However, I actually really liked and miss the camera angles from the older games. Don't know why but some of the angles just seemed so cool, cause some of the views were epic maybe. And it did in a way add a sense of tension not always knowing what's right in front of you.

What if they made a game style that was aimed at both classic and modern fans by blending qualities of both?

For example, when just walking around have the camera angles, but when you aim your gun it changes to behind the shoulder view so you can still freely aim at your enemies. Kinda like how metal gear solid 2 was.

I'd really like a game like that. I think it would be fair for all fans at least.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#2xKazeruxPosted 1/30/2013 10:49:15 AM
The prototype for RE4 was sort of like that, if I remember correctly. Would be pretty nice, actually. Either that or the ability to change to your preference before you start playing or something.
---
PSN: KazimusPrime // XBL: xKazerux
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/KazimusPrime.png
#3Coryo61827(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 10:58:47 AM
Quote:The prototype for RE4 was sort of like that, if I remember correctly. Would be pretty nice, actually. Either that or the ability to change to your preference before you start playing or something.
@xKazerux

Yea that would be cool! I'm honestly starting to think that capcom WILL have to make a game in this mixed style if they want to truly make a resident evil game that will try to please all resident evil fans. It's all about compromise. I mean I prefer the classic style overall but at the same time I wouldn't want to take away some of the nicer parts of the modern gameplay from the modem fans. And I'd be very ok with a mixed style.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#4ZeeDoggePosted 1/30/2013 11:05:25 AM
RE6 WAS the compromise. You had classic, modern, RE3, and Seperate Ways style campaigns
#5Coryo61827(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 11:17:16 AM
Quote:RE6 WAS the compromise. You had classic, modern, RE3, and Seperate Ways style campaigns
@ZeeDogge

That was a compromise done horribly wrong though. None of those campaigns felt much like classic at all.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#6DetBeauregardPosted 1/30/2013 11:23:05 AM
I'd be willing to settle for a mix of both styles. They tried it with Revelations, and it worked (even though I would have done many things differently).

Coryo61827 posted...
That was a compromise done horribly wrong though. None of those campaigns felt much like classic at all.


Agreed. Just because Capcom throws zombies in a campaign and makes the location (for one chapter) seem like Raccoon does not mean "classic." It's all fluff and no form; the gameplay is completely different. And for people like me who were attracted to the earlier games for their gameplay as well as story, Leon's campaign was a huge letdown. I wanted to explore and examine items and the environment, not run down a linear set of tunnel corridors with no interaction whatsoever. Sorry Capcom, but random dialogue between the character's isn't going to cut it.

I actually thought that for what the campaigns were gameplay-wise, Chris's was easily the strongest. Leon's was far too scripted, and Jake's felt like a summer adventure movie. Ada's was my least favorite; too much of "been there, done that" syndrome.
#7SSJ_JinPosted 1/30/2013 11:26:22 AM
Old school campaign + new school Mercenaries = best RE game eva
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#8ZeeDoggePosted 1/30/2013 11:27:50 AM
Coryo61827 posted...
Quote:RE6 WAS the compromise. You had classic, modern, RE3, and Seperate Ways style campaigns
@ZeeDogge

That was a compromise done horribly wrong though. None of those campaigns felt much like classic at all.


Leon: Ambience, puzzles, dark creepy enviroments
Chris: RE4-5 action horror with mixed with creepy foreboding segments
Jake: RE3 sensation of running away. You are literally running from something half the time
Ada: Remix of all the campaigns + spy stuff and helping the heroes
#9ZeeDoggePosted 1/30/2013 11:28:53 AM
DetBeauregard posted...
I'd be willing to settle for a mix of both styles. They tried it with Revelations, and it worked (even though I would have done many things differently).

Coryo61827 posted...
That was a compromise done horribly wrong though. None of those campaigns felt much like classic at all.


Agreed. Just because Capcom throws zombies in a campaign and makes the location (for one chapter) seem like Raccoon does not mean "classic." It's all fluff and no form; the gameplay is completely different. And for people like me who were attracted to the earlier games for their gameplay as well as story, Leon's campaign was a huge letdown. I wanted to explore and examine items and the environment, not run down a linear set of tunnel corridors with no interaction whatsoever. Sorry Capcom, but random dialogue between the character's isn't going to cut it.

I actually thought that for what the campaigns were gameplay-wise, Chris's was easily the strongest. Leon's was far too scripted, and Jake's felt like a summer adventure movie. Ada's was my least favorite; too much of "been there, done that" syndrome.


Wait, so you actually want what is known as metroidvania? Because ambience and style were very much throwbacks
#10Coryo61827(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 11:34:04 AM
Quote:DetBeauregard posted...
I'd be willing to settle for a mix of both styles. They tried it with Revelations, and it worked (even though I would have done many things differently).

Coryo61827 posted...
That was a compromise done horribly wrong though. None of those campaigns felt much like classic at all.


Agreed. Just because Capcom throws zombies in a campaign and makes the location (for one chapter) seem like Raccoon does not mean "classic." It's all fluff and no form; the gameplay is completely different. And for people like me who were attracted to the earlier games for their gameplay as well as story, Leon's campaign was a huge letdown. I wanted to explore and examine items and the environment, not run down a linear set of tunnel corridors with no interaction whatsoever. Sorry Capcom, but random dialogue between the character's isn't going to cut it.

I actually thought that for what the campaigns were gameplay-wise, Chris's was easily the strongest. Leon's was far too scripted, and Jake's felt like a summer adventure movie. Ada's was my least favorite; too much of "been there, done that" syndrome.


Wait, so you actually want what is known as metroidvania? Because ambience and style were very much throwbacks

@ZeeDogge

I'm not denying that they didn't try it in resident evil 6, but it still felt way too off and poorly executed. I don't know if its cause they still added way too much action to it or what but it just didn't feel right. I mean I'm someone who prefers classic resident evil but I felt Leon's campaign annoyed me the most.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9