what RE roots?

#1captlombardiPosted 2/3/2013 2:28:02 AM
i'll admit, i have limited exposure to the original RE games. i played a bit of RE2 and also went through the PC demo of RE3 and half of code veronica: X. however, all the talk of this departure from "survival horror" is nuts. i feel like its a combination of nostalgia mixed with being easily scared as a kid given that the average age of RE5/6 fans is 20 something, that would make us pretty young when playing the older RE games.

i feel like the major contributors to "scary" parts of the game were the fact that you could hardly move (tank controls) and the long, drawn out door opening scenes (loading times) that don't apply anymore due to technological advancements. could you imagine RE4/5/6 with fixed cameras, tank controls, and door opening based scary events? me neither.

RE4 rebooted the whole franchise. i never felt like RE4 was scary and i call this the "X-files phenomenon" because when i used to watch the x-files, fox and scully never seemed to be scared as long as they had their weapons. in these games (dead space included) as long as i have access to all this insane firepower, i don't care what comes around the corner because i will just blow it away. RE5 and 6 have only expanded on the concept RE4 introduced - melee moves, tons of weapons and ample ammo.

i have also heard the explanation that Leon and Chris, etc. are now seasoned veterans. you think modern day leon would pack the same heat as rookie raccoon city leon did? he knows how bad it can get. hence the comments in re6. "welcome to the club" or "some things just don't stay dead these days" etc. the game represents an evolution in not only gameplay but also the skills and preparedness of the characters. it wouldn't scare them to death at this point, thus its not supposed to be super scary for the player.

IB this has all been said before
---
3DS FC: 1289-8252-1439
#2GoldsicklePosted 2/3/2013 2:45:10 AM
captlombardi posted...
i feel like its a combination of nostalgia mixed with being easily scared as a kid given that the average age of RE5/6 fans is 20 something, that would make us pretty young when playing the older RE games.

That's pretty much what it's all about.

i have also heard the explanation that Leon and Chris, etc. are now seasoned veterans. you think modern day leon would pack the same heat as rookie raccoon city leon did?

That's something I keep mentioning.

After surviving several outbreaks, the veteran characters will no doubt toughen up and will be better prepared for future outbreaks.

But despite this, you'll find some old school fanboy saying "just because they're veterans doesn't mean the game should be fast paced".
Nostalgia is dangerous drug.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#3MallyPureSmoothPosted 2/3/2013 3:00:53 AM(edited)
I played the original RE games when I was 14 and I found them infinifely more suspenseful than modern day RE's, and that was only 5 years ago, so nostalgia or being easily scared has nothing to do with it. Well, not for me at least.
---
Born Jan. 6, '94 at 3:47 pm
Gaming since Jan. 6, '94 at 3:48 pm
#4Honey-BoyPosted 2/3/2013 3:32:35 AM
captlombardi posted...
i'll admit, i have limited exposure to the original RE games. i played a bit of RE2 and also went through the PC demo of RE3 and half of code veronica: X. however, all the talk of this departure from "survival horror" is nuts. i feel like its a combination of nostalgia mixed with being easily scared as a kid given that the average age of RE5/6 fans is 20 something, that would make us pretty young when playing the older RE games.

i feel like the major contributors to "scary" parts of the game were the fact that you could hardly move (tank controls) and the long, drawn out door opening scenes (loading times) that don't apply anymore due to technological advancements. could you imagine RE4/5/6 with fixed cameras, tank controls, and door opening based scary events? me neither.

RE4 rebooted the whole franchise. i never felt like RE4 was scary and i call this the "X-files phenomenon" because when i used to watch the x-files, fox and scully never seemed to be scared as long as they had their weapons. in these games (dead space included) as long as i have access to all this insane firepower, i don't care what comes around the corner because i will just blow it away. RE5 and 6 have only expanded on the concept RE4 introduced - melee moves, tons of weapons and ample ammo.

i have also heard the explanation that Leon and Chris, etc. are now seasoned veterans. you think modern day leon would pack the same heat as rookie raccoon city leon did? he knows how bad it can get. hence the comments in re6. "welcome to the club" or "some things just don't stay dead these days" etc. the game represents an evolution in not only gameplay but also the skills and preparedness of the characters. it wouldn't scare them to death at this point, thus its not supposed to be super scary for the player.

IB this has all been said before

because god forbid that the fans that made the series into a mainstay dont get a game that they want to pay for am i right?
---
~choose death~
#5XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 2/3/2013 3:36:46 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 2/3/2013 3:37:11 AM
I don't think RE has evolved at all. Evolution in video games has turned into a codeword for more mindless action.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#7GoldsicklePosted 2/3/2013 3:47:01 AM
Honey-Boy posted...
because god forbid that the fans that made the series into a mainstay dont get a game that they want to pay for am i right?

It's the other way around.

The developers preserved the same format for years even after it was pretty much outdated but fans didn't show enough support.

The poor sales of Resident Evil 0 was the last straw, so what else to do but to revamp the series?
The 'hardcore fans' are to blame for not showing support.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#8PyroSparkPosted 2/3/2013 3:59:47 AM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
I don't think RE has evolved at all. Evolution in video games has turned into a codeword for more mindless action.

>implying more action WASN'T a major upgrade

Yeah, RE4 made the series evolve in a major way with the gameplay. RE6 did it again with the controls and pretty much the story. Especially with Leon and Chris finally meeting.
---
rexator-"Make it a money match so that the winner gets to crap in the other's mouth." PSN: PyroSpark7
#9MallyPureSmoothPosted 2/3/2013 4:04:08 AM
PyroSpark posted...
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...

>implying more action WASN'T a major upgrade

Yeah, RE4 made the series evolve in a major way with the gameplay. RE6 did it again with the controls and pretty much the story. Especially with Leon and Chris finally meeting.

Actually, Leon and Chris had met behind-the-scenes long before RE6.
---
Born Jan. 6, '94 at 3:47 pm
Gaming since Jan. 6, '94 at 3:48 pm
#10Honey-BoyPosted 2/3/2013 4:06:58 AM
Goldsickle posted...
Honey-Boy posted...

It's the other way around.

The developers preserved the same format for years even after it was pretty much outdated but fans didn't show enough support.

The poor sales of Resident Evil 0 was the last straw, so what else to do but to revamp the series?
The 'hardcore fans' are to blame for not showing support.

oh yeah, i sure do love all those generic shooters!

man, i wish resident evil wasnt so cerebral, if only it was stupid like all the other shooters out there so i can play it too.

i bought every resident evil game ever made. i have multiple versions of each game too across various platforms. dont you dare tell me i didnt do my part.
---
~choose death~