merc strat with helena and ada?

#1YermomHoudiniPosted 2/4/2013 3:13:58 AM
just default costumes

I don't have dlc maps, just started out and haven't played steel beast yet.

on zombie maps, I just spam head shot and melee kill because it's fast and guaranteed with characters that can kill fast with melee to head stunned enemies. sometimes I can counter against enemies with melee weapons for the instant kill and 10 seconds, but I still can't counter bloodshots as much as I want to and have to break out the mag.

is the strategy for javos the same as zombies? can I still spam simple headshot melee kill strategy?

my problem with helena is that her melee throw to head stunned enemies take like 3 seconds to finish, so the 5 second increase isn't really enough.

ada's ammo box does like no damage and is super hard to aim for head shot, and her bow couldn't be used like other strong weapons like shotgun or magnum

how do you use them properly?
---
Toy Story 4 trailer, best movie 2015?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuTN_ilmEk
#2ssj_duelistPosted 2/4/2013 4:44:40 AM
Just use Helena like you would any other character. She has a standard, decent, pistol to set up melees, decent healing inventory, and a decent powerful weapon to taking down bigger enemies quickly.
#3Volren617Posted 2/4/2013 8:57:28 AM
I can't really comment on Ada as I am not particularly good with her (or especially bad might be a better description :P), but for Helena I avoid using her head stun melee if at all possible. As you've noted it is slow and does not reliably kill at times (I have had BSAA zombies and some J'avo survive it, and firemen are naturally immune).

For zombies a decent alternative is to aim for her arm stun melee (elbow drop) as zombies are rather easy to arm stun (this is the simplest method). Another option is arm stun/head stun/quick shot -> slide -> CdG; for zombies I prefer arm stuns for this as they generally get spun around with each hit and end up facing you for the CdG whereas if you go for a head stun/quick shot, the slide will knock them around so they are facing the other way and you'll have to run around to their front to land the CdG.

Once you get the timing down, countering is the best method for dealing with armed zombies, and using her handgun to put a bullet or two into unarmed zombies prior to a counter to ensure a kill works too. Keep working on your timing with bloodshots as they are simple to predict and counter and that's the best way to get rid of them. If you are overwhelmed, a quick incendiary will thin the crowd, and a single acid round from her grenade launcher will immediately put bloodshots into CdG kneeling position.

For J'avo I strongly prefer just landing CdG on them. Try to set it up with a headshot before the slide as otherwise you will have to use three stamina bars with a quickshot. If you miss the slide or don't have a lot of stamina a head stun melee works most of the time as well. J'avo don't arm stun easily and recover faster than zombies so going for the arm stuns doesn't really work on them.
#4DanielSpace79Posted 2/4/2013 9:50:08 AM
ssj_duelist posted...
Just use Helena like you would any other character. She has a standard, decent, pistol to set up melees, decent healing inventory, and a decent powerful weapon to taking down bigger enemies quickly.

This is really only correct if you are looking to just get through Mercs. If you are looking to get high scores and aim for high times- then you'd need to think about Helena as compared with Piers and Agent since they have the same counter mechanics and rule for one-armed counter .

You'd compare Ada with Carla for the same reason.

Volren gave a lot of great information, so I don't duplicate what he said. One of the hurdles to Helena is the tendency to overuse quickshot with the Hydra, and then reload- watch that as it was one of the biggest reasons I dropped the combo when I was first learning her (trying to down a Whopper when thinking I had 8 bullets and you only have 3 before needing to reload can lead to a bit of frustration) Also most people under-utilize her Acid Rounds. Perfect for a swarm of bloodshots- good to immediately put a Whopper into CdG, and also works a bit like a flash grenade in buying you some breathing room.

I'll let AgentAda give her opinions on why Ada is so awesome- she is one of our resident experts on Ada (and helped me go from 'pretty sucky' with Ada to 'I won't get 1.4m with her, but I can at least finish the stage with 1.3)
---
"Hey! Porky Pig! I hope you get molested!"
PSN: TheWorstType
#5YermomHoudini(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 11:26:29 AM
jake EX costume is just confusing, knife only? basic gun is rifle? wtf man? it's not like he can shoot from hip or anything
---
Toy Story 4 trailer, best movie 2015?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuTN_ilmEk
#6SemiotequePosted 2/4/2013 12:03:39 PM
Ada (Default) isn't great, but she isn't terrible by a long shot. You can set up the "grenade" glitch using her exploding arrows, which, when abused, can get her some pretty awesome CDG time gains. As far as I can tell, she's the best "grenade" glitch character.

There are some pretty good Ada/AdaEX/Helena/HelenaEX players on youtube if you're into watching Mercs videos. Check out poyoyon46 for an amazing AdaEX/HelenaEX player. Both of these characters carry sniper rifles, and you'll see what sorts of things can be done with sniper rifles, and the characters in general, in the videos.
---
PSN: Semioteque
#7Volren617Posted 2/4/2013 12:45:15 PM
YermomHoudini posted...
jake EX costume is just confusing, knife only? basic gun is rifle? wtf man? it's not like he can shoot from hip or anything

He is actually not terrible, he has the back elbow for simple CdG setup, the knife is pretty good at setting up basic melee kills on zombies and j'avo, and the rifle/grenade launcher make for great combo saving/boss killing.
#8DanielSpace79Posted 2/4/2013 2:16:01 PM
YermomHoudini posted...

His takes a bit to get used to, but he's actually really good.

The knife is great for setting up Melee and CdG kills, as well as to get you out of a pinch (when a bunch of enemies surround you- like firefighters, but you don't want to blow up an O2 can).

His rifle is eh. Not bad for quick shots or take out a long distance enemy if the combo light is blinking, but his biggest perk is the "Combo Saver 500" aka Grenade Launcher. He has 18 rounds, so ammo is rarely a problem. I can't tell you the amount of times I was able to save a blinking combo warning with a quick fire from the Grenade Launcher
---
#9ZeeDoggePosted 2/4/2013 2:26:45 PM
DanielSpace79 posted...
YermomHoudini posted...

The knife is great for setting up Melee and CdG kills, as well as to get you out of a pinch (when a bunch of enemies surround you- like firefighters, but you don't want to blow up an O2 can).

His rifle is eh. Not bad for quick shots or take out a long distance enemy if the combo light is blinking, but his biggest perk is the "Combo Saver 500" aka Grenade Launcher. He has 18 rounds, so ammo is rarely a problem. I can't tell you the amount of times I was able to save a blinking combo warning with a quick fire from the Grenade Launcher

You can quickfire with grenade launchers? Does that even work?
#10DanielSpace79Posted 2/4/2013 2:31:50 PM
ZeeDogge posted...
DanielSpace79 posted...
YermomHoudini posted...

You can quickfire with grenade launchers? Does that even work?

No, lol- sorry, not a literal 'Quick Shot' with L1 and R1, but more of a speedy' OMGIMGONNADROPTHECOMBOLETMEFIREATSOMETHING shot.
---