merc strat with helena and ada?

#31DarkkefkaFFXPosted 2/19/2013 7:38:52 AM
YermomHoudini posted...
how do you maximize countering in merc? is there a best environment to set up for countering in merc? I know wide opening area is not that great because your viewing angle doesn't cover all the enemies around you

other than awareness of spawning points, what can you do so that everything goes right?

This isn't something you're going to learn overnight trust me. Just keep moving and don't get surrounded

But the best way to counter dogs..actually..anythiing with hard timing is to use the Taunt counter. What you do is....you "THANK the opponent just before they attack...then mash the counter button. Since you're thumb is up..you won't attack, but you'll counter when the con shows up.

This also works wonders on those Swinging Javo that do 2 bars of health.
---
FFX NSGNZ Dark Aeons (Anima left)
Pokemon D/P Friends Codes: 0216 3888 1669
#32YermomHoudini(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 11:59:44 AM
DarkkefkaFFX posted...
But the best way to counter dogs..actually..anythiing with hard timing is to use the Taunt counter. What you do is....you "THANK the opponent just before they attack...then mash the counter button. Since you're thumb is up..you won't attack, but you'll counter when the con shows up.

you mean taunt? wait, you can use taunt to allow you to counter? really? no way! I thought you can't do jack while you are in taunt animation
---
Toy Story 4 trailer, best movie 2015?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuTN_ilmEk
#33YermomHoudini(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 12:05:20 PM
wait, you mean praise/thank countering? just saw that in a video, does that actually work?
---
Toy Story 4 trailer, best movie 2015?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGuTN_ilmEk
#34gmoshierPosted 2/19/2013 1:21:12 PM(edited)
I usually main with default Ada and default Jake. I am pretty good with both of them. I also use default Helena too. My tips for using default Ada are as follows:

J'avo maps

- equip item drop increase or quick shot damage increase.
- quickshot a j'avo and then aim for the head in order to stun them. Then follow up with a good melee combo from her.
- quickshot a j'avo and then slide into them. Then follow up with a good CDG from her.
- quickshot a j'avo while they're running. They will fall down and then you can stomp on their head.
- her fire grenades are good for crowd control and keeping combos.
- use her regular arrows for those exploding pimple popper j'avos. Just use quickshot on them. I also use these arrows on the j'avo with the extending arms. Quickshot and then follow up with a melee to the gut.
- j'avos with the wide hands that they use for shields can be extremely painful or extremely easy to deal with. Just get close to one and hit R1 once and then you can do a CDG on them by pressing R1 again.
- use her pipe bomb arrows for crowd control and on tougher enemies. I prefer to quickshot her pipe bomb arrows when waves of tougher j'avo are coming at me.
- use her pipe bomb arrows on Napads.

Zombie maps

- equip item drop increase or quick shot damage increase.
- counter zombies that are carrying melee weapons by pressing R1 at the right time.
- counter bloodshots when they leap at you.
- shoot a zombie in the leg with her ammo box until they fall to their knees or turn their back. This will set up good melee combos from her.
- use quickshot to deal with the dogs and don't let them surround you. Her fire grenades also come in handy for crowd control again.
- quickshot a zombie and then shoot them in the head to stun them. Then follow up with a good melee combo.
- use remote bombs and her pipe bomb arrows on whoppers and on booby BOWs.
- Pipe bomb arrows are again useful for crowd control.
- quickshot a zombie and then slide into them. You then have to get in front of them in order to do a CDG. It's a little more tricky and I still screw up here. You will still do a good melee combo if their back is turned to you but it won't be a CDG.

I hope this helps! I love using Ada on zombie and j'avo maps.
---
Must buy Tomb Raider, RE: Revelations, & The Last of Us!
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/7/gmoshier.png
#35SemiotequePosted 2/19/2013 1:53:53 PM
"Nice! counter" does work. However, like aim countering, it's not too helpful if you don't know when the counter prompt is coming. The reason it works so great on the crazy swinging J'avo is because... they're crazy swinging. You can basically counter them any time during the praise. If you don't have the normal timing for an enemies counter, praising over and over and hammering R1 is probably going to end up getting you hurt.

Dogs attack behavior is a little different from most other "basic" enemies. Sometimes it looks like a dog is running straight at you, but if it's a little off it will do a little turn and run again. Sometimes you will see a dog run and turn several times and never jump at you. Sometimes they will jump at you from the side, but a lot of the time they won't. I believe the reason for this is that the dogs are programmed to only jump when the jump is DEFINITELY going to hit you. They have to be lined up with you, and they have to be at a proper distance. People deal with this in two ways: a lot of people run away, turn around and line up directly with the dog, and some people stand close to them. Not right next to them but close. Both are accomplishing the same thing, they are manipulating the dog into jumping.

The latter way of countering them is much harder IMO (I suck at it), but it can have better results if you can do it right. On a lot of the really good runs you see in videos, people are countering pretty close to the dogs and it works out great for them because they kill two or three enemies at a time with one counter.

If you're playing solo, I think the best advice honestly is to not be so focused on countering every single thing. If you're taking a lot of time setting up enemies and looking for perfect counters you're missing one thing, you're letting more enemies spawn. The most important thing, again, just IMO, is that you are keeping up your pace of killing with the pace of enemies spawning. If the spawns are starting to get out of control, start thinking of other options like doing a bunch of regular melee kills, or setting up a grenade glitch kill on a big group. Getting +21 or +42 seconds on one grenade glitch CDG kill is actually more time efficient than waiting and countering everything. Standing near a big group hammering praise counters isn't efficient. Praise countering two dogs by themselves IS pretty efficient.

What DarkKefka said is right. Keep moving, and stay aware of your surroundings. Keep spinning the camera behind you. If you see something, kill it. If you see something is unsafe, move and consider your options.
---
PSN: Semioteque