After DmC failure and negative reception, does Capcom really need to reboot RE?

#31ReceiverxWisdomPosted 2/8/2013 7:44:45 PM(edited)
If ME3 or MGS4 stood in the middle of a road on a hot summer day, squatted, took a ****, then came back a few hours later, they would find God Hand.

To be fair,

1: God Hand can't be that bad if it has a cult following.

2: The IGN defense force sparking fan debates over the ME3 ending was stupid. (The ending was re***(ed, who can defend that?)

3: MGS4 surely isn't a perfect 10 and it's probably the most action heavy MGS game to date (Which can be a hit or a miss, for me it was slightly off the mark). I don't want to go into details about the flaws of MGS4, I will state two that I experienced myself: Load times.....yeah <_< they're horrible (I just wanna play the damn game not watch Snake smoke for 20 minutes each chapter -_-). The plot also pales in comparison to how mindbendingly deep Metal Gear Solid 2 was.
---
"A rose best blooms near death. You're in full bloom, pal!" ~ Iori Yagami
PSN: LatinChris_9990
#32DanteAwakeninPosted 2/8/2013 8:12:38 PM
DanteAwakenin posted...

Also, DmC got better reviews than the old DMC games. And RE6-ORC got a LOT of negative reviews. Rebooting the series might increase the new RE games sales and giving it positive reviews.

Spoiler: Don't trust professional and paid reviewers. I haven't trusted reviewers since 05; my distrust then doubled when Oblivion was released. Then tripled when Fallout 3, AT LAUNCH was the buggiest lump of crap ever packaged into a box got GOTY from several publishers and reviewers.

Did anyone -actually- read the reviews of RE:ORC?
Especially IGNS?

As if all that weren't enough, ORC also suffers from a complete lack of atmosphere, which is simply unforgivable for a game boasting the Resident Evil branding. The set pieces are bland and forgettable, and everything down to the music fails to capture the RE universe or create any amount of tension. The only impressive parts of the package are the graphics and character models, but even those certainly don't rank among the best of this generation. The story offers no insight into Umbrella's actions, and its flow and progression are both uninteresting and nonsensical. Sure, Resident Evil is known for its cheesy and "out there" plotlines - but they're usually at least interesting, and bolstered by memorable characters that are easy to care about.

Meanwhile
Resident Evil 6, which features LEON KENNEDY AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM and SIMMONS PREFORMING HUMAN EXPERIMENTATION BECAUSE OF HIS BONER, MORE FIGHTING NEXT TO MOLTEN MAGMA- ONCE AGAIN IGNORING THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS according to IGN.; Makes more sense than "Here's a side story of the shadow squad Umbrella sent in to clean up their mess. "

And then, for all it's worth. They used the same dodging and aiming system from RE:ORC in RE:6, the thing everyone claimed was broken was reused, minus the blindfire.

In my honest opinion, RE ORC is what I expected in a game where you played as the folks who -knew- everything about umbrella. The folks who HAD the key to the secret backdoors. Hell. ORC despite being a side story, was more faithful to RE than RE6.

Normally, I ignore horrible reviews by horrible reviewers but when they straight out lie about the music?
RE-ORC had the best RE soundtrack since OUTBREAK and then when you take into consideration that the majority of the songs are DIRECT REMIXES of songs from RE2 and RE3.

I was severely offended that such a good game got such terrible reviews.
Meanwhile, BUGGY OUT OF THE GODDAMN BOX GAMES such as Dead Island, Oblivion, Fallout 3 , Diablo 3, etc. Get rave reviews?
The worst thing wrong with REORC was the 360 version. ( I'm not trying to start a console war or anything but the 360 version was terrible compared to the PC and PS3 version.)

I never trust reviews or read them, And I actually hate DmC more than anything, But let's be honest, The game got positive reviews and the reviewers probably were being paid off.

And positive reviews sometimes increases the game's sales, So rebooting RE might be good for us and for Capcom.
Win-win situation.
---
This parteyh is gettin curazzeyh!!
#33vgplaya89Posted 2/8/2013 11:41:45 PM
Dmc is awesome.
---
Life's simple; you make choices and you dont look back...
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/Kokonoe-/bieber.gif
#34DegalonPosted 2/9/2013 12:17:42 AM
Literally everyone i've talked to who played DmC says its freaking awesome, and even I liked the demo.

So where is this "failure and negative reception" coming from?

Also, they don't need to reboot RE. They need to Reset it.

Unfortunately, all they are going to do is basically make a revelations 2. When instead they need to make an Outbreak 3.
---
GT/PSN: DEGALON
MK: Sheeva/Mileena, SSF4: Guile, BB: Makoto, DOA4: Leon, SC4: Astaroth, SF3: Alex, AH3: Zenia Valov, Tekken: Bryan Fury, VF: Vanessa
#35sbn4Posted 2/9/2013 2:13:29 AM
Did... someone just insult God Hand? :[

And as far as I can see, DmC was a success. Maybe the sales weren't as strong as they could be due to narrow minded people.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#36AnimesetsunaPosted 2/9/2013 2:16:31 AM
Didn't bother buying DmC or any other games. My money is for RE titles only.
---
http://setsunah.imgur.com
Thanks to Kana Hanazawa that I touched Money God at PS@Home Asia(@w@)
#37Candy__GirlPosted 2/9/2013 3:17:19 AM
NineteenthCross posted...

Spoiler: Don't trust professional and paid reviewers. I haven't trusted reviewers since 05; my distrust then doubled when Oblivion was released. Then tripled when Fallout 3, AT LAUNCH was the buggiest lump of crap ever packaged into a box got GOTY from several publishers and reviewers.

I was severely offended that such a good game got such terrible reviews.
Meanwhile, BUGGY OUT OF THE GODDAMN BOX GAMES such as Dead Island, Oblivion, Fallout 3 , Diablo 3, etc. Get rave reviews?

I never read reviews. Ever. I don't and will never understand why so much clout is given to the reviews. It seems like the industry is now dominated by them. If one reviewer say one bad thing about a game it seems like it's doomed for failure. A review is strictly an opinion. Everyone has a different take on things. They may like a game experience while their friend hates it. Does that make a game bad? No. It doesn't. People need to start realizing that just because a reviewer loves a game doesn't mean it's any good. A core group on my friends list only go by reviews. It's like they can't think for themselves or only want to play what's 'popular'. It feels like more and more people are living by this principle, some one else's opinion. I play games because I like them and when I love them I play the crap out of them. Not because the industry told me I need to play this certain game.

I have tried some of the main titles that have come out in the past few years, the ones that were raved about, and I hated them. I really tried to like them too. I tried to remain positive as I played the game but it just gets to a point where I don't want to invest my time and energy into a game that I can't get into and don't give a crap about because I don't think it's as amazing as everyone else.

I guess I'm not a sheep. I don't feel the need to follow the opinions of others.

^ You mentioned not liking Oblivion. I thought it was okay. I had fun with it. Skyrim was also cool. When I played Dragon Dogma, though, my opinion changed drastically of the other two. Dragon's Dogma is an amazing game. It needs to get more good press.

I don't understand what everyone's problem with ORC was. It wasn't supposed to be canon. It wasn't supposed to be a main title. It's not a perfect game by any means but it was very good. It kept true to the RE old school atmosphere. The music was great. I had a lot of fun with it. I convinced a few friends to try it out, one who lives by reviews and the other by how cheap a game is. The 'review lover' didn't like it. The 'cheap guy' had a lot of fun with it. Not being an RE fan he said he truly enjoyed it for the most part. Granted, no game is perfect.
#38good_tobiPosted 2/9/2013 6:36:29 AM
Animesetsuna posted...
Didn't bother buying DmC or any other games. My money is for RE titles only.

I was a hardcore Devil may cry player but Ninja Theory/Capcom Killed Dante/franchise for me. Yeah I didn't bother too getting the game, just saw the price down to 20 in store, well even if gets down to 10, I am not getting it.

My money this year is for hitman trilogy,Naruto storm 3, last of us and GTA 5 only.
---
Don't need sharingan to see this.
#39ReceiverxWisdomPosted 2/9/2013 11:51:38 AM(edited)
So where is this "failure and negative reception" coming from?

The negative reception is coming from the older fans of the series. Remember, when you reboot A SERIES you run the risk of turning off the fans who liked the originals. This is just the conundrum of what happened with DmC, it had a lot of hate centered around it's campaign for very good reasons beyond Dante's hair (like I said before, they removed and dumbed down a lot of pivotal features that made the older DMC's more varied in retrospect.)

Not to mention their inclusion of color coded enemies did not add anything significant to the gameplay, in essence it practically cripples freeflow combat in the later stages, isolating you to just use one weapon on one particular enemy type and for a hack n slash series breaking the freeflow combat older DMC's had to offer that's very very lame to hear about. Almost disheartened to see fans defend ass backwards nonsensical gameplay mechanics such as that which was ripped straight out of Heavenly Sword.)

Here's how DmC failed:

DmC failed because it did not meet the estimated 2 million copies for Capcom's fiscal sales projections due in March 2013 despite high reviews.
DmC is the project Capcom lowered the MOST sales figures on. They lowered them twice. (which now sits at a meager 1.2 million it's barely breaking).
DmC didn't nearly sell as much as Devil May Cry 4 did on launch day and it's struggles against DMC HD collection.
Reviewers are now 'bashing' fans because of poor scores saying asinine things as 'we killed the series for not buying DmC'.

What does that tell all the DmC supporters?
The game is a MASSIVE flop (the sales drop each week) you can't protect that game from the truth, good reviews are just moot point. Ninja Theory games always get high reviews and sell like garbage. It's no difference here.

If Ninja Theory's director and Capcom would've just labeled DmC as a spinoff, all this animosity would have cease but no, they didn't do that. They insulted the older fans, said old Dante would get laughed out a bar and this is what they get. Capcom reaped what they sowed here. I feel no sympathy for them.

Also, they don't need to reboot RE. They need to Reset it.

They did this with RE4, it's their second gameplay reset and it better be good, more in line with their previous roots only with updated gameplay.
---
"A rose best blooms near death. You're in full bloom, pal!" ~ Iori Yagami
PSN: LatinChris_9990
#40kaizenmxPosted 2/9/2013 3:57:22 PM
DMC didn't sell any copies.

This is why the game failed. Doesn't matter if the game is good or bad. Subjectivity has nothing to do with profit.

Number of sales is the only important thing for game companies.
---
My opinion is fact.
If you criticize my grammar, you basically admitted that my reasoning and logic is better than yours