Producer said RE needed to become a Call of Duty action series to survive..

#1skermacPosted 2/8/2013 12:26:19 PM
But has changed his mind after RE6 disappointed.

Fans of the series from before it became focused on co-op action set pieces, will find hope in recent statements from producer Masachika Kawata.

Kawata said in 2012 that Resident Evil needed to become a Call of Duty-style action series to survive in the modern market. “[Especially] for the North American market.

(He makes us american gamers the stereotypical dumb shooter no thought type of player). But now he says...

Resident Evil 6 has changed Kawata’s mind, though. “Looking at user feedback from the last couple of games, I’ve started to slightly revise my opinion on that matter,” said the producer. The key according to him is making the existing games scarier.

duh! RE games should be about horror. He should have known that about RE games from the beginning.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/capcom-says-resident-evil-needs-horror-to-survive-after-resident-evil-6-fails-to-meet-sales-expectations/#ixzz2KKxOsrDp
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook
#2skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:30:02 PM
Capcom has bit the bucket, kicked the cricket and bumped and barn when it comes to Resident Evil. Lately, they've been trying to go off the deep-end into “Call of Duty” territory and the long-term sales and feedback did not go over well at all. Now, Capcom is revising their approach to Resident Evil and they're saying the core fans were right all along.

Yes, we fans were right all along!

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Capcom-Bringing-Back-Horror-Resident-Evil-Piss-Poor-Fan-Feedback-52186.html
#3MallyPureSmoothPosted 2/8/2013 12:42:27 PM(edited)
The "RE needs to be like CoD" to survive statement, was the most mentally handicapped thing i'd ever heard.

If Capcom stops worrying so much about sales, and worries more about quality, then maybe the series would survive.

This game probably would've met sales expectations if it was, ya'know, GOOD, because then people wouldn't have been put off from it due to the reviews.
---
Born Jan. 6, '94 at 3:47 pm
Gaming since Jan. 6, '94 at 3:48 pm
#4skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:45:48 PM
MallyPureSmooth posted...
The "RE needs to be like CoD" to survive statement, was the most mentally handicapped thing i'd ever heard.

If Capcom stops worrying so much about sales, and worries more about quality, then maybe the series would survive.

This game probably would've met sales expectations if it was, ya'know, GOOD, because then people wouldn't have been put off from it due to the reviews.

I agree about the COD statement, but that's what the producer said last year and it backfired on him. Now he says he will put horror back in the game in hope to increase sales by giving fans what they want. I thought that's what we wanted all along?

I never wanted RE6 to be like COD, but Capcom thought it would increase sales. I hope they learn from their mistake.
#5good_tobiPosted 2/8/2013 12:53:27 PM
RE doesn't need to become a call of duty action series to survive.

but,

Capcom needs a game like COD to survive, RE6 unfortunately became a sacrifice.
---
Don't need sharingan to see this.
#6SolidStryderPosted 2/8/2013 1:00:18 PM
skermac posted...
But has changed his mind after RE6 disappointed.

Fans of the series from before it became focused on co-op action set pieces, will find hope in recent statements from producer Masachika Kawata.

Kawata said in 2012 that Resident Evil needed to become a Call of Duty-style action series to survive in the modern market. “[Especially] for the North American market.

(He makes us american gamers the stereotypical dumb shooter no thought type of player). But now he says...

Resident Evil 6 has changed Kawata’s mind, though. “Looking at user feedback from the last couple of games, I’ve started to slightly revise my opinion on that matter,” said the producer. The key according to him is making the existing games scarier.

duh! RE games should be about horror. He should have known that about RE games from the beginning.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/capcom-says-resident-evil-needs-horror-to-survive-after-resident-evil-6-fails-to-meet-sales-expectations/#ixzz2KKxOsrDp
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

I'm honestly not surprised eastern developers are so out of touch with the market. Microsoft introduced a scary new world last gen and began merging PC and console gamers, introducing online gaming and making it a prominent aspect of modern consoles. CoD isn't popular because it's mindless explosions and derpy players, it's becauses it's a competitive shooting game that's easily accessible. Blindly copying that into your game isn't going to make it sell a million units in a day, it's just going to steer the series away from what it was while maybe attracting a few new fans.

Campaign should be the primary focus in an RE game, if you're copying CoD you're making the huge mistake of assuming that games' campaign is anything more than tacked on. It's meant to be played once, if at all. The campaign in every RE game since 4 released has been good for one playthrough. 5 and 6 are decent for a second playthrough with co-op, but the main draw is what used to be an unlockable minigame. 4 really took it off course from what the franchise used be. I've enjoyed some Japanese titles this gen, but I'm not buying nearly as many as I had in previous generations. Between tired mechanics or blatant copies, there just seems to be very little innovation. I won't even get into the dlc practices, that's frustrating to no end.
#7skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 1:56:19 PM
good_tobi posted...

but,

The way the producer is talking RE7 will get it right going back to horror. We will see.
#8good_tobiPosted 2/8/2013 2:07:19 PM
skermac posted...
good_tobi posted...

but,

The way the producer is talking RE7 will get it right going back to horror. We will see.

I am afraid, it won't.....well atleast completely. There are fans who have become fan of current gameplay already, and Capcom is aware of this.

Have you checked recent survey by Capcom regarding Street Fighter? It asked about 5 favorite characters to choose ( chose Ryu, Chun li, Guile, Blanka ,E.Honda) regarding future of street fighter, so I think Capcom might again soon launch a survey regarding RE7/ its future, too in order to make their decisions. We will just have to wait....
---
Don't need sharingan to see this.
#9edward18Posted 2/8/2013 2:13:02 PM
The series should've died rather than become what 4 turned it into.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#10StrongBlackVinePosted 2/8/2013 2:14:44 PM
good_tobi posted...
skermac posted...
good_tobi posted...

but,

I am afraid, it won't.....well atleast completely. There are fans who have become fan of current gameplay already, and Capcom is aware of this.

Have you checked recent survey by Capcom regarding Street Fighter? It asked about 5 favorite characters to choose ( chose Ryu, Chun li, Guile, Blanka ,E.Honda) regarding future of street fighter, so I think Capcom might again soon launch a survey regarding RE7/ its future, too in order to make their decisions. We will just have to wait....

You can have the currentl controls/game engine and the still make a scary game. LIke the part from Resident Evil 5 where you enter the old Umbrella lab with the lickers. That was scary/tense segment. Or Dead Space 1 and 2 (haven't played 3 yet). A game can be scary without resorting to terrible controls and bad camera angles.

Even the Amnesia game every loves doesn't resort to restraints like that.

I certainly would not support Resident Evil if the nuked the controls environments because they had to resort decade old attempts at scares.