There is no pleasing old RE fans

#81edward18Posted 2/13/2013 9:01:55 AM
I never played Call of Duty and never plan to. It looks boring as hell.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#82mMarikomPosted 2/13/2013 10:25:30 AM
kayoticdreamz posted...
AyumiSqueezetoy posted...
Elec_Man posted...
If "survival horror" as expressed in the first several games sold worse than the later entries in the series, why would they go back to it?

Sold better than RE6, so far.
Cost 1/10th what RE6 did (or less).
More profit for less investment? Seems pretty good.

people seem to forget the terrible controls and set up present in RE games that came before RE4

You mean the movement controls that were still in every RE until 6?
---
PSN: Arent_We_Clever
3DS Friend Code: 2234 8016 4687 Nickname: Mariko
#83Sir_HaxorPosted 2/13/2013 9:51:46 PM
I agree with Ed 100%. The majority wants DLC, over the top action, f-bombs every 5 seconds, and forced online. They but yearly rehashes like CoD and EA sports titles. I say screw them.
---
Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets- MetaLoki
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the SMTIV board
#84FallenBluePosted 2/14/2013 7:53:55 AM
Sir_Haxor posted...
I agree with Ed 100%. The majority wants DLC, over the top action, f-bombs every 5 seconds, and forced online. They but yearly rehashes like CoD and EA sports titles. I say screw them.

The problem with that is that as a company, Capcom would be foolish to disregard a large customer base. Especially with rising development costs. A customer who likes rehashed games is a company's dream, since then they don't have to rehaul game engines or be too creative with subsequent releases or DLC.

Sure, the original RE was a success. But if Capcom made the same type of game again TODAY, with similar graphics, I think it would be unlikely to reproduce the same level of success.
#85Spider5800Posted 2/14/2013 10:44:49 AM
FallenBlue posted...
Sir_Haxor posted...

The problem with that is that as a company, Capcom would be foolish to disregard a large customer base. Especially with rising development costs. A customer who likes rehashed games is a company's dream, since then they don't have to rehaul game engines or be too creative with subsequent releases or DLC.

Sure, the original RE was a success. But if Capcom made the same type of game again TODAY, with similar graphics, I think it would be unlikely to reproduce the same level of success.

We won't know unless they try. Copying the tunnel shooter model clearly isn't working for them, successful games don't drop to a third their price in 4 months.

And let's be honest, they've already disregarded a large customer base. RE had a pretty strongly established fanbase for years, then Capcom started making exclusivity deals with poorly selling consoles (CV on Dreamcast, REmake and 0 on Gamecube). Heck, even RE4's sales were mediocre before it was finally ported to PS2. The argument that these games have no audience is extremely flawed if Capcom failed to make them available to a wide audience.

The point is, WE DON'T KNOW how well one of these games would do in todays market, since they aren't MAKING them. The last RE to do it was released over a decade ago on an unpopular system. If they were to create one today, with modern graphics and possibly updated controls, I could see it being EXTREMELY popular, especially as starving as survival-horror fans are for SOMETHING that appeals to them. We don't have enough evidence to say otherwise, and there's plenty of evidence this action crap is going nowhere for them.
---
The big brain am winning again! I am the greetest! Now I am leaving Earth for no raisin!
#86edward18Posted 2/14/2013 10:52:50 AM
And why the hell would they do similar graphics? Graphics should always be as good as they can look.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
#87FallenBluePosted 2/14/2013 1:32:18 PM
Spider5800 posted...

We won't know unless they try. Copying the tunnel shooter model clearly isn't working for them, successful games don't drop to a third their price in 4 months.

And let's be honest, they've already disregarded a large customer base. RE had a pretty strongly established fanbase for years, then Capcom started making exclusivity deals with poorly selling consoles (CV on Dreamcast, REmake and 0 on Gamecube). Heck, even RE4's sales were mediocre before it was finally ported to PS2. The argument that these games have no audience is extremely flawed if Capcom failed to make them available to a wide audience.

The point is, WE DON'T KNOW how well one of these games would do in todays market, since they aren't MAKING them. The last RE to do it was released over a decade ago on an unpopular system. If they were to create one today, with modern graphics and possibly updated controls, I could see it being EXTREMELY popular, especially as starving as survival-horror fans are for SOMETHING that appeals to them. We don't have enough evidence to say otherwise, and there's plenty of evidence this action crap is going nowhere for them.

Sure, if they did with modern graphics and updated controls, but that's part of the rising development costs I mentioned earlier. In fact, I'd venture those are the bulk of it. And even then, REmake, as much as I love it, did not do well enough for Capcom to port it to the PS2 later. RE4, which was also part of the original Nintendo exclusivity contract Capcom had, did. It even got brought over to the PS3. Unlike REmake (To reiterate, I LOVE REmake. It is the game that got me into RE).

And if we look to EXTREMELY retro gaming: Mega Man 9 and 10. Capcom says they're extremely happy with the sales, but...they released no figures, Kenji Inafune left, and they canceled Megaman Legends 3.

Take it how you will.

For me, I see it as a sign that appealing to the old fanbase hasn't been working out either, and they've decided they might as well either try to appeal to a larger group, or they're going to cancel/reboot franchises because we're an aging demographic that's running out of free time, and so it's time to start things over for the new kids.

The porting/remake of Revelations to the PS3 and xbox360 might just be the last chance they're giving the old style, depending on sales figures.
#88edward18Posted 2/14/2013 1:38:49 PM
I can't stand how crappy Mega Man 9 and 10 look.
---