Why is Resident Evil 2 considered to be the best in the series?

#1Zantetsuken_14Posted 2/19/2013 2:18:08 AM(edited)
I'm curious as to why that is really. People say that the game is great and it's really scary but how do I put it....I guess it's because the game hasn't really aged well enough. The licker coming down from the ceiling didn't really scare me or make me jump even, and the head falling down just looked badly pixelated. The areas to me didn't have as much appeal to them as the first one.

I'll say one thing though, that the cutscenes were done pretty well for it's time. It's just that lack of 180 turn and auto-aim hurt the game for me. I'll admit, I played resident evil on the DS with these changes and REmake, which I hold REmake as my personal favorite of the series. I also played all the other RE's except for 6 and Code Veronica X. Like I said, the game just hasn't felt like it aged well, at least to me. Anyways, give me a sec, gonna grab my flame shield. There we go. *Holds up his flame shield*

Also, to me, REmake's Crimson Heads are the most terrifying enemies I've ever encountered in a video game. Nothing scares me more than bloody zombies rising up and chasing after you in a red hallway with spears resembling as if you're in hell being chased by demons.
#2Neutron15Posted 2/19/2013 2:02:20 AM(edited)
I think REmake, Zero, 3, CVX and Revelations is the best RE games, Rebecca is the first RE Queen next is Jill then Claire, Leon fans are going to be mad at this comment: Leon should have died as originally planned, why did Capcom change it
---
"They Have Come To Witness The Beginning. The Rebirth Of Paradise, Despoiled By Mankind."
#3sadiq2010Posted 2/19/2013 1:57:24 AM
Neutron15

i agree with you. ^______________________^
#4FreakyFrancPosted 2/19/2013 2:25:20 AM(edited)
Zantetsuken_14 posted...
I'm curious as to why that is really. People say that the game is great and it's really scary but how do I put it....I guess it's because the game hasn't really aged well enough. The licker coming down from the ceiling didn't really scare me or make me jump even, and the head falling down just looked badly pixelated. The areas to me didn't have as much appeal to them as the first one.

I'll say one thing though, that the cutscenes were done pretty well for it's time. It's just that lack of 180 turn and auto-aim hurt the game for me. I'll admit, I played resident evil on the DS with these changes and REmake, which I hold REmake as my personal favorite of the series. I also played all the other RE's except for 6 and Code Veronica X. Like I said, the game just hasn't felt like it aged well, at least to me. Anyways, give me a sec, gonna grab my flame shield. There we go. *Holds up his flame shield*

Altought it's not as scary as it was back in the 90's,it still as a good story and the best soundtrack i've ever had to listen,everyone would agree on that.

Some of the songs are actually creepy and most of them are really well orchestrated. (the ''born from the ashes'' is a great intro for the tyrant 2nd form battle.)

And some of the characters development are quite well done.
#5PyroSparkPosted 2/19/2013 2:23:25 AM
Neutron15 posted...
I think REmake, Zero, 3, CVX and Revelations is the best RE games, Rebecca is the first RE Queen next is Jill then Claire, Leon fans are going to be mad at this comment: Leon should have died as originally planned, why did Capcom change it

Because Leon turned out to be way too much of a badass.
---
rexator-"Make it a money match so that the winner gets to crap in the other's mouth." PSN: PyroSpark7
#6sadiq2010Posted 2/19/2013 2:26:21 AM
FreakyFranc

resident evil 2 was scary.
#7FreakyFrancPosted 2/19/2013 2:31:35 AM
sadiq2010 posted...
FreakyFranc

And still is to me,but for some peoples they think its only the jumpscares that made the game scary.

They tend to forget that that it was mostly the soundtrack and the ambiances/atmosphere of the locations that actually made the game in the creepy department.

Also the tension you feel when you try to survive during the whole game.
#8DigimonTrainerPosted 2/19/2013 6:18:03 AM
FreakyFranc posted...
sadiq2010 posted...
FreakyFranc

And still is to me,but for some peoples they think its only the jumpscares that made the game scary.

They tend to forget that that it was mostly the soundtrack and the ambiances/atmosphere of the locations that actually made the game in the creepy department.

Also the tension you feel when you try to survive during the whole game.

This. Though it did have some good jump scares (The Licker breaking through the one-sided mirror in the interrogation room...I damn near s*** myself the first time), it also has to do with the tension (which the soundtrack plays a part in as well) of playing.

And if you've been familiar with something "scary" for 10-15 years such as a game (or have become pretty much a pro at it), it's obviously not going to be as scary for you as it used to be...
---
Intrepidity. Courtesy. Illusions. Until the end. Until the end.
Someone invite me back to the That's What She Said board. =(
#9xXxAgentAdaxXxPosted 2/19/2013 6:21:18 AM
To me it's because of the characters, and the enemy designs.

Ada, Leon, Annette, Claire and Sherry >>>>> everyone.
---
Formerly known as xXxAdaxXx.
#10AnimesetsunaPosted 2/19/2013 6:24:16 AM
For me

1) Interesting Characters especially Leon and Claire
2) Backgrounds & places
3) BGMs
4) Story
5) Puzzles
6) Enemy design
---
http://setsunah.imgur.com
Hanazawa Kana (HanaKana) is my Goddess (@w@)