Just beat Chris' campaign, my thoughts

#51TurduckenPosted 2/27/2013 7:23:56 PM
Yeah, Ada's f***ing terrible in this game. I didn't really mind her in previous appearances, but here I just wanted to brain her every time she opened her mouth or zip-lined away.

And Jake needs to die in a fire.
---
THE FIGHT WILL CONTINUE, AS LONG AS THE AMERICA INSIDE MY HEART IS STILL ALIVE
#52DetBeauregardPosted 2/27/2013 7:39:28 PM
Turducken posted...
And Jake needs to die in a fire.

Unfortunately, I think he's the future of the franchise. If Capcom has learned anything, however, he won't be.
#53TurduckenPosted 2/27/2013 8:04:14 PM
I think that was their intent/hope given the ending(s) centered on him in the game. But I would hope the negative backlash not only to the game in general (which he basically personifies), but to him as well steers those zany doofuses at Capcom back on the straight and narrow.
---
THE FIGHT WILL CONTINUE, AS LONG AS THE AMERICA INSIDE MY HEART IS STILL ALIVE
#54RyuNinjaDog(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 7:44:40 AM
Personally I liked Jake. He's likable, sure he's sarcastic and sardonic, but he also shows emotion. His interaction with Sherry is well done, he reacts to what's going on around him, he gets mad, he gets sad, he actually acts like a human being. I also really like his melee. Once you get it down, it's actually very powerful and fits in the game naturally. Unlike Ada's "stealth" gameplay which feels utterly contrived and impotent.

Funny thing is, Ada has some variety in her missions. Really only the first mission and a few segments later on are "stealth". The rest is traditional 3rd person shooting, so it would be fine if I didn't have to listen to her inane quips constantly. It's so infuriating to listen to her idiotic commentary constantly and completely destroys the experience which would otherwise be fun. But like you said before, I didn't mind Ada so much before. She was still irritating in RE4, but at least we didn't have to put up with her so much. Now they are trying to cram her down our throats like she's a main character instead of a lackey.

Speaking of which, the interaction between Leon and Ada is also irritating. Playful sexual tension is one thing, but Leon goes out of his way for this woman that STOLE A PLAGA SAMPLE FROM HIM AND DELIVERED IT TO WESKER. Quick to forgive aren't you Leon? According to RE wiki, she only gave him a "subordinate plaga" sample, but that sounds like a retcon, and Leon didn't know what she did in any case. But upon meeting up again, he never questions her about what she has done or what she may be responsible for. So just because he's sexually attracted to her, he forgives her for working for all of these corrupt organizations? Geeze, I like Leon more than Chris, but in this game I liked Chris more for this reason alone.

Sorry for the rant, it's just she basically singlehandedly ruined what could have otherwise been a perfect game. -_-
#55DetBeauregardPosted 2/28/2013 4:55:03 PM
Leon is naive. It's just part of his character.

As far as Ada being a main character, I just don't think it works. She will never be of any importance without Leon, regardless of the back story that she has been "doing things in the shadows for her own goals" for 15 years now. She's supposed to be mysterious, and when she's in the limelight she just isn't interesting.

She was great in 2 because the concept was fresh. But how many times are we going to have the same "rinse, repeat" story of Leon and Ada where Ada never gives Leon any answers? It's played out at this point.

How about more things with Leon that don't involve Ada, Capcom? Degeneration and Operation Javier were great.
#56RyuNinjaDog(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 4:29:14 PM(edited)
DetBeauregard posted...
Leon is naive. It's just part of his character.

As far as Ada being a main character, I just don't think it works. She will never be of any importance without Leon, regardless of the back story that she has been "doing things in the shadows for her own goals" for 15 years now. She's supposed to be mysterious, and when she's in the limelight she just isn't interesting.

She was great in 2 because the concept was fresh. But how many times are we going to have the same "rinse, repeat" story of Leon and Ada where Ada never gives Leon any answers? It's played out at this point.

How about more things with Leon that don't involve Ada, Capcom? Degeneration and Operation Javier were great.

I think you pretty much nailed it. She didn't bother me THIS much before. In RE4, she was there and I didn't like her, but it was tolerable. Hell even in this game, before I was forced to play as her, she was tolerable. She was still irritating but she didn't get me irate.

I never got the impression that Leon was naive though. More like he lets his personal infatuation and attachment to Ada get the better of his judgment. Maybe that's naivety but he never demonstrates that with anything else aside from Ada.

Another annoying thing (yes there's more) is the confrontation between Leon and Chris. Chris has every justification for taking Ada dead or alive. Sure he was letting he was letting his personal emotions get the better of him, but the figure he believed was Ada killed his own men before his eyes, and he knows how dangerous she is. Neither Chris nor Leon knew about the clone, so Leon was far too impetuous to defend the fake Ada with his life without knowing all of the facts. He was quick to blame EVERYTHING on Simmons when he didn't know the figure believed to be Ada killed all of Chris' men. After Chris TELLS him that she's responsible for killing all of his men, Leon STILL defends her? That's bs.