Just got the game, looking for tips

#11Senor_KamiPosted 2/28/2013 5:22:33 PM
Any general tips for someone transitioning from RE5 mercs straight to RE6 mercs?

I don't know if I'm misreading it, but it seems like all the melee stuff is crazy different. Shooting people in the kneecaps and stuff didn't seem to make much of a difference and shooting them in the head got me instakills rather than setting them up for a cool melee kill.
#12siberian142Posted 2/28/2013 7:04:01 PM(edited)
Senor_Kami posted...
Any general tips for someone transitioning from RE5 mercs straight to RE6 mercs?

I don't know if I'm misreading it, but it seems like all the melee stuff is crazy different. Shooting people in the kneecaps and stuff didn't seem to make much of a difference and shooting them in the head got me instakills rather than setting them up for a cool melee kill.

Melee isn't crazy different, they actually simplified it a bit. Each character has a basic melee, a back and front head shot melee, a stomp melee, a coup de grace (super damaging melee), and a counter. The go to melee is usually a counter or coup de grace to maximize your earned time.

It's somewhat similar to 5. Instead of shooting them in the head and running up to melee them, you either quick shot (or head shot to save stamina) and slide into them to set them up for a coup de grace or you spam counters - usually counters are used more so for zombies and coup de graces for J'avo. Some characters can one shot zombies with power counter equipped, but J'avo maps require you to shoot them multiple times in the chest to soften them up enough that a counter will kill them. If you're good, you can start killing right away to maximize time and collect items while running around or you can spend a bit of time running around collecting health and such. This is the general plan for the vast majority of maps and enemies that appear.

Different enemies require different strategies (shielded J'avo can be instantly coup de grace'd with a basic melee attack, blood shots can be instantly killed with a counter, boss enemies should be saved for the last kill while gradually dealing damage to them with splash damage, etc), but it is similar to 5 in that you have to kill as many enemies as you can with melee attacks in a combo to achieve high scores (combo > time). Coup de gracing can be done extremely fast and if you're great at avoiding damage, you can restore your stamina bar by taunting or using a health tablet.

It feels a bit more loose and cheap compared to 5, but it's not too hard to get down.