The passion for Biohazard/Resident Evil 1.5

#1Jonathan_F_GPosted 2/28/2013 8:50:30 PM
I don't know anything about programming but how could Team Sandwich accurately complete Biohazard 1.5 when the build they have contains non-functional doors or doors that randomly lead to different rooms?

Most of the rooms in the Biohazard 2 prototype never made it to the final product. So using the final Biohazard 2 product and common sense is mostly out of the question.

Also, will the team have access to every line of dialogue that was originally intended? It would be nice to have voice acting. But I can live without it.

Again, programming is not my expertise.

I am assuming there's some sort of program lingo inside the scrapped build of the prototype that lets the programmers know as they are programming?

If and when this build for Biohazard 2 Prototype is completed, I am going to accept this version of the game as an alternate canon where it is completely alienated from the later games in the main series (Even BHs 3 and CV) and spinoffs that involved locations and characters from the BH2 that Capcom officially released.

The way I feel about this BH1.5 rebuilding that is being handled by Team Sandwich takes me back to a time where I once thought Biohazard/Resident Evil was untouchable (Which was the 90's).

"OMG! Resident Evil 2! I thought the first game was magical! And the sequel takes place inside a police station, surrounded by urban chaos?! Wow! I'm buying this game the day it releases!"
---
".... For I AM "the Dragon", Dracul! I AM "the Prince of Darkness"! THAT!... Is MY vengeance!" - Gabriel Belmont/Dracul
#2XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 2/28/2013 9:30:36 PM
I've been hearing a lot about 1.5 lately. Did someone finally get a copy of it? I know the guys over at bioflames have been trying for years to get one and they even raised a few thousand bucks to buy a copy they found on ebay a few years ago but it fell through.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#3Jonathan_F_G(Topic Creator)Posted 2/28/2013 10:53:07 PM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
I've been hearing a lot about 1.5 lately. Did someone finally get a copy of it? I know the guys over at bioflames have been trying for years to get one and they even raised a few thousand bucks to buy a copy they found on ebay a few years ago but it fell through.

A 40% build of the Resident Evil 2 prototype was leaked all over the internet. And now, anyone with a PSX emulator can try it out.

A group of programmers called Team Sandwich led by a German programmer named MrBZork are using a more complete and up to date build of Resident Evil 1.5 to completely finish and distribute what was scrapped by Capcom 15 years ago.

But again, I don't know how credible the end result will be considering what little there is to guide them in making an authentic experience.
---
".... For I AM "the Dragon", Dracul! I AM "the Prince of Darkness"! THAT!... Is MY vengeance!" - Gabriel Belmont/Dracul
#4slapper1Posted 2/28/2013 11:12:18 PM
^ The build team sandwich most likely "acquired" was the build that Capcom scrapped about 80% through the project. Capcom had released a roughly 40-50% completed demo build of the game to gaming journalists and reviewers, but continued to work on RE 1.5 for a while longer before scrapping the project. If Team sandwich does indeed have the second almost finished build, then the coding of the rooms should be available for reconstruction, thus making the rebuild project quite possible. If they are working with the demo build, then that project is infinity more difficult to complete as it would require the team to add rooms, puzzles enemies, bosses, ect themselves as the build is only half completed. Regardless, I can't wait to play the finished project, I have been waiting for over a decade to play this build and soon, my wait will be over!
---
When facing a zombie apocalypse, don't join up with a group. Why? Because you'll end up blowing your own head off due to all the pointless drama caused within.
#5nina_chanPosted 3/1/2013 12:25:14 AM
The build they have is dated somewhere between October-November '96. This is evident from looking at some of the file dates. The last know build was compiled in late December. Development on the game was (then temporarily) halted in January in order for a professional scriptwriter to evaluate and make revisions to the game. But the work was deemed to be unsalvegeable and they decided to start from scratch, marking the permanent cancellation of 1.5. The game was to have been released in March of 1997, iirc.

There's a 2-3 month difference between their build and the final build which was compiled in December. The entire background files for the latter half of the game (Umbrella factory and labs) can be found in Bio/RE2 Trial edition. The RPD and Sewer sections have already been overwritten with retail data however, so they're gonna have to recreate the missing areas on their own.

It's worth noting that Bzork has been subtly implying through his comments that they have access to more 1.5-related content than just the 40% build that was leaked. It could be leaked design documents, or maybe even later builds of the game, hard to say. In any case, either of those things will make their job a lot easier though.
#6goku4ever03Posted 3/1/2013 5:15:50 AM
Why did Capcom decide to scrap this version after about 80% of completion?
---
The ultimate woman is a man - House
#7nina_chanPosted 3/1/2013 5:41:41 AM
Since the developers didn't like how the game turned out. The story, environment and gameplay were "ok/meh-ish" and they didn't feel it lived up to the RE/Biohazard name.
#8Hawke0Posted 3/1/2013 6:49:03 AM
They're German? That explains the name.
---
Some of the best music in gaming: the Freedom Fighters OST http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KHK46y_He4&list=PLXQy_o
x7fQ3VNAeoBsoqIzzcvjRKy_rpT
#9nina_chanPosted 3/1/2013 6:53:40 AM
Nobody knows their nationalities, and I doubt we'll ever know. There's like a dozen shotguns in their team logo, which makes some people think IGAS = "I got a shotgun"
#10Jonathan_F_G(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 9:01:02 AM
I thought it was very interesting to see the lab entrance with no turntable train.

But I like the design of the RPD and sewers in the prototype better. The converted museum is cool but it's also over the top. And anything over the top tends to turn me off more so than not.

In the end, I would've preferred the RPD from RE1.5, which looked like the police station from The Terminator.

Plus Leon tosses grenades in a conservative fashion and the zombies were actually able to ascend and descend ledges. The zombies from Capcom's final product were never able to do that. They were more limited in comparison.
---