Countering dogs(?)

#1Narugarex13Posted 3/3/2013 5:56:25 PM
Is the counter frame for dogs consistent in mercs when you join others' game? Zombies and other enemies have consistent counter frames regardless of signal strength (though it contributes to headless t-stancing zombies)....but dogs seems to be all over the place. -__-

Just started playing mercs again and them dogs kept on bypassing my counters even though the counter animation already ensued, which sucks ass during later waves.
#2Cartwheel_KickPosted 3/3/2013 6:10:59 PM
I think it's the lag that f***s it up somehow...
---
You're going to die one day. You'll disappear completely, forever.
#3icantseePosted 3/4/2013 1:31:49 AM
Yeah. It's bad enough in solo when you hear the counter chime, but the zombie/dog jumps you anway.

In duo with lag, it even worse. The dogs come at you then jump randomly almost like popcorn popping.
---
RE5 and 3DS Mercs fan
#4AquamarinPosted 3/4/2013 10:32:26 AM
That can happen with zombies too, lag or no lag.
Just my own theory but in countering, everything depends on your location and timing. The time window for countering depends on the enemy and its move and can vary quite greatly. If you counter a zombie near the end of the window and happen to stand near the border of the counter zone, chances are you'll hit air because the zombie is already outside your range. This can happen with arm swings, grab moves and leaps. A weapon swing is impossible to miss as your normal counter animation instantaneously gets replaced with a mini cut-scene and disregards timing and location as long as it's within the window and zone.
I have little experience with J'avo so I can't comment there.
As for dogs I think it's the same; if you don't stand in the exact path of the dog while it's running, or if you moved too much after it started running towards you, you can miss as it's already well and outside the field of your counter animation. If you do execute the counter in the right spot but near the end of the window, you'll succeed in initiating the counter but fail in completing the animation so you'll get bitten.
Again, I might be wrong. This is all based on my many times of executing counters and CdGs that hit their targets only partially or missing entirely... and of course losing combo.
#5icantseePosted 3/5/2013 12:33:18 AM
Aquamarin posted...
That can happen with zombies too, lag or no lag.
Just my own theory but in countering, everything depends on your location and timing. The time window for countering depends on the enemy and its move and can vary quite greatly. If you counter a zombie near the end of the window and happen to stand near the border of the counter zone, chances are you'll hit air because the zombie is already outside your range. This can happen with arm swings, grab moves and leaps. A weapon swing is impossible to miss as your normal counter animation instantaneously gets replaced with a mini cut-scene and disregards timing and location as long as it's within the window and zone.
I have little experience with J'avo so I can't comment there.
As for dogs I think it's the same; if you don't stand in the exact path of the dog while it's running, or if you moved too much after it started running towards you, you can miss as it's already well and outside the field of your counter animation. If you do execute the counter in the right spot but near the end of the window, you'll succeed in initiating the counter but fail in completing the animation so you'll get bitten.
Again, I might be wrong. This is all based on my many times of executing counters and CdGs that hit their targets only partially or missing entirely... and of course losing combo.

You bring up pretty good points. For some of the weaker characters, even if you successfully execute a overhand counter against leaping zombies, it might not result in a kill. You sort of need your hand to smash the head and part of the body to get the kill. If you counter a leaper from the furthest range possible, you will just barely touch the head which likely won't kill the zombie. This means you have to take a chance and move in a little right before doing the overhand counter. Of course if you move in too close, you can get the chrime, but you'll either miss or get grabbed.
---
RE5 and 3DS Mercs fan
#6reflega603Posted 3/5/2013 10:14:58 AM
Lag is the biggest candidate. Also never attempt to counter zombies on elevated ground or hills or stairs (unless you have a strong counter like Chris) you will likely fail to kill. Try to counter a dog uphill, and you will fail everytime.
---
PSN name: reflega603.