Least Favorite RE6 Character

#61TurduckenPosted 3/21/2013 11:55:40 AM
Mm, sbn4 pretty much covered my reply, but...

Actually, I do understand his character just fine, its not about his personality or how interesting he is. Its that everything he does is related to his job, correct?

Well, no. Not correct.

Even in re1 he WAS on a job, the only exception is code veronica. He's always more focused on his job than other things, even if his emotions are involved he's doing his job still.

I can't think of a single instance where he's 'more focused on his job than other things'. If your only evidence for that is WELL HE'S AT WORK I dunno man.

That doesn't apply to helena though. She wasn't "doing her job , stopping bad guys"

Helena wasn't driven by, I'm an american agent and I'm going to clear my name by proving simmons guilty andhelp save america.

No, she was driven by revenge. Like Chris has been in...most of his appearances actually. At least partway through CV and 5 and most of 6.

Chris in re6 is just, "detain this outbreak, get ada!" Which were all things related to his job, deborah wasn't.

Right. If you're going to completely ignore how his dealing with Ada wasn't related to his job like at all (cuz he was at work when it happened so it's absolutely 100% solely about the job) you're just seeing what you want to see. Piers is there to reel him in because he's being way too emotional and not about the job itself and wants little more than petty revenge on you-know-who.

Leon has to talk him down from gunning "Ada" down in their funny little standoff. Again, because he's lost sight of "the mission" and is operating on pretty much pure revenge.

Even in re5 he's on orders from the bsaa,

For the very early game only.

disregarding character interactions, he was doing his job. Same in revelations.

Hell, by this logic, we can discount pretty much every character. Leon was just doing his job in all of his appearances (2 he's going to his new job, 4 is an official assignment, Degen same, 6 he started at work so if Chris gets zonked for this so does he); all the STARS team, Sheva, Josh, Piers, Helena (again, started at work), Sherry (heck, she was even wearing her school stuff in 2--school is kid-work), Wesker, etc.

But I don't find him entertaining following orders.anybody can do that.

Everybody DOES do that.

but not anybody can just replace helena and feel the same things she did towards deborah and simmons.

If this is a point for Helena than why not take into account CV for Chris? Hell, Chris' anger in 6 is pretty similar to Helena's plotline at face value. The only difference is one's a sister and the other are friends/comrades.

That's family, something you can't just replace. Chris can be replaced by any random character, annd it could be the same thing storywise. Soldiers are replacable.

That's a pretty horrible way of looking at it. If you're not family, you don't matter.

His only attachment in re6 is the bsaa, where he works for, and carla killing his men, while he was on the job. Wesker isn't here anymore, so chris kind of lost purpose sinse his whole thing was stopping wesker.

That wasn't his WHOLE thing. Probably one of the main things, but he sure as hell didn't create the BSAA just to fight Wesker.

That's why most people like Leon because he isn't the typical cliche' hero.

Sure he is. He's just a the other kind of typical cliche hero. If Chris is the man's man musclebound Arnie type (I guess?), then Leon is the fast-talking jokester (more of a Lethal Weapon Mel Gibson).
---
THE FIGHT WILL CONTINUE, AS LONG AS THE AMERICA INSIDE MY HEART IS STILL ALIVE
#62sbn4Posted 3/21/2013 1:58:05 PM(edited)
Again, face value. Chris might be cliche by design, but so are the other mains. Leon is a generic smartass with cool hair who shoots stuff, and saves women (this has been done to death by Capcom alone). Jill is the token tough/hot woman who wears form fitting clothes and shoots stuff and does her job. The stereotype doesn't stop at Chris.

And soldiers being replacable is false. Wasn't Chris one of the founding members? He's not just a soldier. Not to mention he stays of his own volition, not just because of orders. Also his rank allows him to give orders as well. The fact that he really wants to quit and knows he can't makes him different to me. than most. As an ex soldier myself, I understand this feeling.

Leon loses relevancy after Chapter 1. The focus becomes centered on Helena. And I personally cannot relate to characters who are unaffected by most things. Even if Chris' story arc is overused, we still see the toll it takes on him whether it be mission or emotionally related.

And it also might be worth noting that literally all of Leon's appearances outside of RE6 is because of orders. Chris and Jill both had games that were personal to them. But Leon, not so much.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#63zombiabsolPosted 3/21/2013 2:03:06 PM
1.)Yes, except code veronica which I stated.

2.)Evidence for what? I'm not solving a case man. I explained that I don't like how he's always got some type of job , the same job on three accounts, that tie him into the story. Its not interesting to me.

3.)Chris wasn't ever like "imma kill wesker" because he only wanted to. He also did it because he knew it was the right thing to do. Not exactly the same type of revenge as helena.

4.)Actually, if chris wasn't working for the bsaa, he wouldn't have seen carla in edonia and got his men killed. Then no revenge would have happened. Correct? Because if he wasn't always working for the bsaa, he wouldn't have had a squad to lose or a role in re6.

5.)And everything else in re5 that happened was because of his job, or else he wouldn't even be there for the rest of the game to happen.

6.)You can if you want. Idc, considering that at least leons jobs actually differ. Saving the presidents daughter seems different than stawp bio-terrarism. Which leon does that too. And don't forget damnation where he did what he wanted.

7.)Really? Jake was doing everything because he wanted to, not because somebody told him. Same with carla.

8.)I said code veronica was an exception probably three times. And, chris might have some revenge, but that's not his reason for being in the game. It was helenas sole purpose for the stuff she did. Chris was there because of his job.

9.)Way to twist my words. But its a fact, you can get new soldiers. But your sister is only one of a kind. Yes they have personalities, but they are replaceable.

10.)No, but chris and wesker were rivals, chris was revolved around wesker, and now he's dead. Now, everything chris does is just soldier work considering that anybody could do his job. His only tie ins are claire and jill, but there arnt any plot holes to fill up anymore so that's just fan service.

Also this fanbase is stupid.
Why try to prove somebodies opinions on a character wrong? If I don't like chris, and I post non negative things abou him, why respond. Its not like I'm saying he's a horrible character, I'm saying why I don't like him, which isn't something you can just debate with me about.

I'm not going to respond next time with anything besides "k". Since there is no point of nit picking my views.
---
(PSN:zombiabsol3) RE6 and PASBR <3
Waiting for: Remember Me, The last of Us, and Pokemon X.
#64SSJ_JinPosted 3/21/2013 2:23:18 PM
Turducken posted...
That's why most people like Leon because he isn't the typical cliche' hero.

Sure he is. He's just a the other kind of typical cliche hero. If Chris is the man's man musclebound Arnie type (I guess?), then Leon is the fast-talking jokester (more of a Lethal Weapon Mel Gibson).

Correction, I meant in regards to the other RE heroes we have. Including Leon in RE2. RE4 was something different for the series, so by those terms he isn't cliche'. That's what I should have wrote, but didn't so I was wrong.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#65PyroSparkPosted 3/21/2013 2:23:46 PM
Archiantagonist posted...
In terms of personality both Helena and Jake have very little to offer,
but at least Jake has his unique Close Combat Mode to play with.

Thus, Helena it'll be...

You mean, at least Jake is a raging badass. Plot wise, he's still random and story-screwing as all hell, but at least he's awesome. >_>
---
rexator-"Make it a money match so that the winner gets to crap in the other's mouth." PSN: PyroSpark7
#66sbn4Posted 3/21/2013 6:02:00 PM
Lol. Way to fly off the handle. No one is trying to change your opinion. There are just inconsistencies and hypocrocies in your thoughts.
---
"No man should fight any war but his own."
#67LucarioFan4EverPosted 3/21/2013 6:20:45 PM
I chose Chris.I don't hate him,per se,just in this game,he was too boring.And,he was annoying me with his constant 'kill Ada' attitude.
---
RE6 Survivors=Broken
Currently Playing-Why do you even care?
#68TurduckenPosted 3/21/2013 10:28:05 PM
2.)Evidence for what? I'm not solving a case man. I explained that I don't like how he's always got some type of job , the same job on three accounts, that tie him into the story. Its not interesting to me.

But you said he's always ABOUT the job. So I asked for evidence of this is all. Lines/scenes from the game that support what you're saying.

3.)Chris wasn't ever like "imma kill wesker" because he only wanted to. He also did it because he knew it was the right thing to do. Not exactly the same type of revenge as helena.

Bulls***. Wesker was directly responsible for the deaths of most of his STARS teammates and friends. Hell, when Jake asks him if it was personal or just the job, Chris tells him it was both.

4.)Actually, if chris wasn't working for the bsaa, he wouldn't have seen carla in edonia and got his men killed. Then no revenge would have happened. Correct? Because if he wasn't always working for the bsaa, he wouldn't have had a squad to lose or a role in re6.

Sure, but what does that prove, other than he works? How does that demonstrate he's all about the job and cares more about duty than personal feelings or whatever? That'd be like me trying to invalidate everything Leon's ever felt because he's on an assignment. It's silly.

5.)And everything else in re5 that happened was because of his job, or else he wouldn't even be there for the rest of the game to happen.

Again, what does that prove beyond his job brought him into those circumstances? You could say HEY IF HELENA WASN'T SECRET SERVICE THAN HER STORYLINE WOULD'VE NEVER HAPPENED. So what? He's emotionally driven throughout the game. It's not even remotely "about the job" in 6 until Piers brings him back to his senses and gets him to stop being such a hothead.

Saving the presidents daughter seems different than stawp bio-terrarism.

If that's so important (the circumstances that happen two minutes before bioweapons attack). It's one instance. This matters about as much as Chris' thing in RE1. It wasn't about stopping bioterrorism back then as far as he knew, either.

Which leon does that too. And don't forget damnation where he did what he wanted.

Sure, but he was there originally on assignment. Pretty much exactly how Chris handles things in 5. He's on a mission, mission's supposed to be over, Leon/Chris says "screw that" and keeps going on their own because they feel like it.
---
#69TurduckenPosted 3/21/2013 10:28:20 PM
7.)Really? Jake was doing everything because he wanted to, not because somebody told him. Same with carla.

Carla's a villain for one. And Jake was following Sherry's directive, if you want to get technical. But I think you're taking my EVERYONE a bit literally anyway.

And, chris might have some revenge, but that's not his reason for being in the game. It was helenas sole purpose for the stuff she did. Chris was there because of his job.

Well, Helena's thing didn't become revenge until after Deborah died, so I don't really agree with that. If revenge is Helena's reason for being in the game (from a design standpoint), I'd certainly say it is for Chris, too.

Why try to prove somebodies opinions on a character wrong? If I don't like chris, and I post non negative things abou him, why respond.

I'm not trying to prove your opinion on a character is wrong. I'm trying to get to why you see it like you do. It's called discussing the game. There's nothing stupid about that. It's part of the reason this board even exists (the other beyond game help and such). Hate him or whatever, I don't care, but if I see things that I think are skewed or flat-out factually wrong, I might just ask about it.

I'm saying why I don't like him, which isn't something you can just debate with me about.

Apparently you can. People ask others to validate their opinions pretty often, surprisingly! Even on trivial things (hell, especially on trivial things).

Correction, I meant in regards to the other RE heroes we have. Including Leon in RE2. RE4 was something different for the series, so by those terms he isn't cliche'. That's what I should have wrote, but didn't so I was wrong.

Eh, I agree overall with that, I guess. There was a bit of jokey-ness before (root of the problem, etc), but yeah, I guess RE4 Leon was a new kind of character for the series overall.
---