The real problem with this game...

#1lid1013Posted 3/27/2013 2:55:09 PM
IMHO is the lack of cohesive direction or vision. RE4 and 5 are basically at the core the same gameplay wise as RE6 but the difference is Capcom knew what direction they wanted to take 4 and 5.

Shinji Mikami wanted to retain the atmosphere of the past RE games with RE4 and it shows throughout the whole game. And even though RE5 went into a more action oriented direction at least they made a great action game. They wanted it to be a co-op centric shooter and the setting and tone of the game stayed the same throughout.

Now with 6 its obvious they wanted to keep expanding on the action but they didn't have the guts to alienate the survival horror crowd so what did they do? They put in a few chapters with darker atmosphere in Leons campaign to hope they can please everyone, but that wasn't enough they wanted to put in everything they could think of in other action games. Hollywood like action set pieces, mundane and unnecessary QTEs and over the top vehicle sections as well. Capcom stated that 600 people worked on RE6 and it shows. Its almost like 600 ppl went into a meeting room and started brainstorming ideas and they decided to use every single one.

It's a shame because the core gameplay mechanics of the game are still very fun. I think this game would have been so much better if they removed some of the excess junk like vehicle sections and QTEs. If you wanted to make a survival horror then do so, if you want to make a action/shooter then do so. Lack of focus and direction is what resulted in this game, a mish mash of ideas that don't work as a cohesive whole.
#2Blackmarvel79Posted 3/27/2013 3:18:30 PM
They should have went all out with this game and just had 1 storyline. it was a hot mess of a story but the gameplay was very nice.
---
Playing Ninja Gaidan 2 and Punch Out!
#3ZGMF_600_GuaizPosted 3/27/2013 5:31:16 PM
Blackmarvel79 posted...
They should have went all out with this game and just had 1 storyline. it was a hot mess of a story but the gameplay was very nice.

I would agree that a side story game focusing only on Chris' campaign, which works out the best with the gameplay mechanics, they could have made a good action game and probably even a decent RE game.
#4Cartwheel_KickPosted 3/27/2013 6:14:57 PM
lid1013 posted...

It's a shame because the core gameplay mechanics of the game are still very fun.

Yeah, I agree. The core gameplay is everything I wanted after playing RE5, and I'm very satisfied by that part.

I don't think you could say this game has One Big Problem though. A lot of parts of story and scenarios are unpolished... Too much linearity kills the interest for replayability... Final campaign was very underwhelming... Zero focus on depth of the RE lore, fast-food information...

Still, I think I would replay it more than the average person (who have sold the game apparently). I'm a bit surprised that there is never a single Campaign game to join, and if I host one nobody joins even for 10 minutes...
---
You're going to die one day. You'll disappear completely, forever.
#5Jonathan_F_GPosted 3/27/2013 6:57:16 PM
ZGMF_600_Guaiz posted...
Blackmarvel79 posted...

I would agree that a side story game focusing only on Chris' campaign, which works out the best with the gameplay mechanics, they could have made a good action game and probably even a decent RE game.

My thoughts exactly. Chris' campaign alone would have fared great as a spinoff to the series, just like Revelations. I firmly know in my heart that this game would have been better received had it been declared as a spinoff rather than an integral entry.
---
".... For I AM "the Dragon", Dracul! I AM "the Prince of Darkness"! THAT!... Is MY vengeance!" - Gabriel Belmont/Dracul
#6Jonathan_F_GPosted 3/27/2013 6:59:13 PM
^Also I STILL want a "sequel to 5/prequel to 6" spinoff starring Chris and Piers dammit!
---
".... For I AM "the Dragon", Dracul! I AM "the Prince of Darkness"! THAT!... Is MY vengeance!" - Gabriel Belmont/Dracul
#7Jonathan_F_GPosted 3/27/2013 7:07:06 PM
ZGMF_600_Guaiz posted...
Blackmarvel79 posted...

Just like what Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is to Metal Gear and what Dirge of Cerberus is to Final Fantasy VII.

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII surprised the hell out of me. I thought that was a great game and a great spinoff to Final Fantasy VII.
---
#8edward18Posted 3/27/2013 7:52:48 PM

Shinji Mikami wanted to retain the atmosphere of the past RE games with RE4

HA!

and it shows throughout the whole game.

Where exactly? The labs are the only thing in 4 that feel even remotely RE-ish.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#9istuffedsunnyPosted 3/27/2013 8:21:46 PM
RE5 was not a great action game... You couldn't play it by yourself because you were at the mercy of the stupid partner AI.

But RE4 was a godsend and a curse to this industry. Every shooter since then has copied it, both the best parts and the worst parts.

RE6 does lack direction but what do you expect from a game that had 600 people working on it. Obviously it's driven by nothing but money
---
I have a radio in my car.
#10GoldsicklePosted 3/27/2013 8:27:08 PM
Depends on what you guys mean by "core mechanics".

Tank controls and awkward shooting?

The very first RE game was intended to be a co-op shooter at one point but they switched to ripping-off Alone In The Dark due to technological limitations.
RE5 & RE6 is more or less the developers getting back on track with an originally intended plan (intentional or not).
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".