The relief! It's taken me 4 months, but i've finally completed it (RANT AHEAD!)

#21skermacPosted 3/28/2013 7:23:46 PM
ChelskiFan2 posted...
... and yet RE4 is the best selling RE game of all time and widely considered (by far) the best in the series.

Everything that was great in RE4 was butchered in 5, and the hack jobs seems complete in this.

I liked RE6, but RE4 is the best RE of all time imo.
#22bluerulerPosted 3/28/2013 7:29:47 PM
ChelskiFan2 posted...
Thats purely down to opinion, and I have no quarrels with it - anyone who even dares to say RE5/6 is better than RE4 needs their head examined. I'm actually quite mystified by it, especially some of the comments in here 'RE6 better than RE4 on multiple levels'. Lol!!!! I'll have some of whatever you're having mate!

Your signature doesn't match your arrogance, i suggest you change it

Oh and that's too many exclamation marks to be taken seriously
#YOLO
---
Without Inspiration We Are Nothing More Than Statues
#23Hawke0Posted 3/28/2013 8:56:46 PM
MrXGamer posted...

Anyone who slags RE4 off doesn't even warrent a response. It is one of the few games to revolutionise games of its kind and one of the most influential of the past decade. That's a fact,

With the exception of possibly only a few (you included), it's cited as the best RE game and breathed a lease of life into the horror genre. End of.

Ah well, guess some of you are too young enough to remember how incredibly well recieved RE4 was upon release on Gamecube, then PS2.

LOL! Maybe it's you who is too young to remember how incredibly well received the classic RE1 and 2 were. They revolutionized the horror genre far more than RE4 did, hell RE4 didn't even do anything for horror. It only inspired other third person *shooters* to copy its mechanics, not the horror games. You must be a child to think it had anything scary - lulz omgz tentacles poppin from heads zomg ruuunnnzz".... RE2 literally had many people too scared to even continue playing back in 1998, I have never heard of anyone who stopped playing RE4 because they were too scared.. maybe just you.

Classic RE was a joke compared to Silent Hill and Fatal Frame. REmake was the only remotely scary RE game.
---
"After this generation, Sony and Microsoft will have so much money they won't want to make any more consoles"-Michael Pachter
#24GoldsicklePosted 3/28/2013 9:18:02 PM
Fact:

GameFAQs users whose favorite game didn't sell well will say things like "sales doesn't matter" and "who cares about sales".

But if it's their most hated games that didn't sell well instead, they'll start pointing it out like it's a sore thumb.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#25Hawke0Posted 3/28/2013 9:28:18 PM
I always say sales don't matter, and I have favorite games under both of those groups.
Being the exception to the rule ftw
---
"After this generation, Sony and Microsoft will have so much money they won't want to make any more consoles"-Michael Pachter
#26edward18Posted 3/28/2013 11:27:02 PM
Anyone who slags RE4 off doesn't even warrent a response. It is one of the few games to revolutionise games of its kind and one of the most influential of the past decade. That's a fact,

And games of its kind aren't what the main RE games should be.

With the exception of possibly only a few (you included), it's cited as the best RE game and breathed a lease of life into the horror genre. End of.

And what about the "trapped in a locked environment that they have to backtrack and find interlocking areas in to progress while playing detective with the notes found in said setting and relying on a finite amount of ammo lying around" genre?

Ah well, guess some of you are too young enough to remember how incredibly well recieved RE4 was upon release on Gamecube, then PS2.

1. Why would we give a damn how well it was recieved? That's other peoples' opinions, not ours.
2. I'm 22 junior.

This notion that it wasn't an RE game is also ridiculous. It's awards, critical acclaim and status among gaming community speaks for itself, doesn't need a few spotty teenagers to degrade it.

They award it for being a good VIDEO GAME, not at being a good RESIDENT EVIL game.

Have fun playing this rubbish anyway, wish I could be half as positive about it.

How the bloody **** is Earthworm Jim rubbish?

Thats purely down to opinion, and I have no quarrels with it - anyone who even dares to say RE5/6 is better than RE4 needs their head examined.

...you just contradicted yourself...in the same sentence...what the ****?...

Uhh, are you absolutely sure on all those points? First off, RE4 is cited as a revolutionary game for a reason - that being the over-the-shoulder camera angle.

....yeah, and that's a pretty ****ing stupid ass reason. Always has been. I was amazed when I found out that the "action shooter" genre hadn't gotten to that point yet by the time 4 came out and warped the series.

RE1? You don't honestly want to argue that game as being the most influential in the series, do you?

Don't see why it shouldn't be argued. It's the beginning and introduced what the series was.

You might want to actually replay the older RE games with a bit of context towards the 'horror' aspect. REmake is the only game that can truly call itself a horror game in the RE franchise - think about it - RE1=campy atmosphere with infamous voice acting, RE2=an abundance of ammo, and RE3=an abundance of ammo with a whole new system of creating ammo.

3 is my least favorite of the old games. WAY too action packed. Much more prefer CV or Remake.

And with that said, the whole series doesn't really need to go back to the old RE style for a more positive reception (And a game of REmake's nature probably won't happen again, unfortunately). It can stay as an action-oriented series, but it needs to be a better game for doing so, like RE4/5 as opposed to RE6.

Screw reception. We're talking about what WE as INDIVIDUALS want.

Fact:

GameFAQs users whose favorite game didn't sell well will say things like "sales doesn't matter" and "who cares about sales".

Which they don't...

But if it's their most hated games that didn't sell well instead, they'll start pointing it out like it's a sore thumb.

...which I don't...
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#27BasementDudePosted 3/29/2013 12:16:17 AM
i don't understand why you played it to the end if you hated it the moment you started
---
number of e-huggies received today: 0
number of e-huggies wanted daily: 1,000,000 total e-huggies received: 342,499,490
#28SolidStryderPosted 3/29/2013 2:03:06 AM
BasementDude posted...
i don't understand why you played it to the end if you hated it the moment you started

What else was he supposed to do? Go outside? Move on with his life? NO SIR!
#29MrXGamerPosted 3/29/2013 2:49:20 AM(edited)

Uhh, are you absolutely sure on all those points? First off, RE4 is cited as a revolutionary game for a reason - that being the over-the-shoulder camera angle. Personally, if it inspired a brand new IP for EA (Dead Space), I think that secures its status well enough, without even going into the other games that borrow the same camera angle, such as GTA IV.

RE1? You don't honestly want to argue that game as being the most influential in the series, do you? Remember, that game is remembered chiefly for the appalling voice acting which generated quite a few memes. Most would elect REmake as the pinnacle of horror in the series, as the overhaul of the RE1 framework provided much better scares and atmosphere. Even so, there is a slight horror aspect is present in RE1, and to an even lesser degree RE2, but the latter gives the player so much ammo, it transforms the game into a shooting gallery.

You might want to actually replay the older RE games with a bit of context towards the 'horror' aspect. REmake is the only game that can truly call itself a horror game in the RE franchise - think about it - RE1=campy atmosphere with infamous voice acting, RE2=an abundance of ammo, and RE3=an abundance of ammo with a whole new system of creating ammo.

And with that said, the whole series doesn't really need to go back to the old RE style for a more positive reception (And a game of REmake's nature probably won't happen again, unfortunately). It can stay as an action-oriented series, but it needs to be a better game for doing so, like RE4/5 as opposed to RE6.

I shouldn't even bother debating this because it sounds like you played the first two... sometime after 2000. I said they were revolutionary and scary for their TIME, which is late 90's. Go read any review on them from their release dates, you will see the praises and back then reviewers used to be much harsher than what they are today because they weren't sell outs.

RE1 may be known for its awful voice acting/dialogues, but remember, it was one of the first 3D horror games in market. Not only that, it introduced a unique style of storytelling which started the trend of game stories being told like hollywood films. It may suck for today's standards, but back then it did captivate attention. Horror aspect is connected to it, the presentation for its time was considered cinematic and that's what caught players to jump at some moments.

Its horror aspect is a joke now because it's DATED badly. There were many 3D games during PS1/N64 era that revolutionized their genres, but can you play those games now? Hardly, but that doesn't mean you can reject the fact they were revolutionary.

Same goes for RE2, it improved everything from RE1 with even better cinematic presentation and had unique scares/creepy atmosphere combined with unique sound effects that had everyone scared at its time. I bought it on release date back in 1998. I know the days, you don't. Check the reviews for original PS1 version, you will see praises on its horror everywhere.

It was completely irrelevant to bring in REmake to this conversation because I wasn't saying the first two are the best RE games. It's just the fact that they revolutionized the genre much further than RE4 did for their time. REmake is indeed much scarier and my personal favorite, but whatever it did was already done before.
---
Asus Z77 Sabertooth | i7 3770k | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 1600MHz | Crucial m4 SSD | Blu-ray | Win 7 x64
#30ChelskiFan2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 7:00:00 AM
Another thing, why try and cram all those characters into one game? It felt rushed and to make up for trying to cram it all in, Capcom decided to make half the boss fights overly long and drawn out. Seriously pathetic excuse of a game.
---
Carefree