The aging cast of characters...

#21Plant42Posted 3/31/2013 8:06:48 AM
This is what happens when you make a set year for timelines. Plus now there is always a few years gap between making games and characters won't appear every time either so by the time x person comes back they are old as f***.
#22icantseePosted 3/31/2013 10:18:18 AM
GiveMeSomeVodka posted...
icantsee posted...
In retrospect, one thing Capcom could have done is have a sliding timeline, i.e. saying all events are X days, months, or years from present day. Like Racoon city incident happened 6 years from whatever is the current year. Then the RE4 events occur in the current year. And so on. The characters would still age, but timelines could be shortened such that events happen one after another, even if game development takes a few years.

not sure if i'm reading your post right... but then there wouldn't have been enough time for leon to become a government agent or for chris and jill to establish the bsaa.

As TheMisfit also mentioned, I was thinking from the perspective that Capcom wants the events of the main numbered games to take place in our present year in order to make them feel current. The events in RE0 to CV, RE4, RE5, and RE6 took place in ~1998, 2004, 2009, and 2013 and the games were released around those same years. This means the characters age about 5 years every game.

However, if Capcom said RE0 to CV took place at -1 year from our present, then RE4 could have occurred just 3 months later with Leon doing the Ganado stuff. Similarly, RE5 LiN events could also occur 3 months later (from -1 year from the current) and the main RE5 story occuring just 1 month after that. This way, Capcom would accomplish two things: 1) even though actual game development takes ~5 years, the game events would always occur roughly near our current year, and 2) the characters would not age as fast. Of course there is a limit to this, but this would have allowed Capcom to make much more games with the main characters without them growing old and also keeping the events of the game in the present.

Now, as you mentioned, the certain things might not happen that fast like Leon becoming a government agent and Chris/Jill forming the BSAA. However, I think Capcom would have tweaked the story a little to make it fit. Like the Secret Service reaching out to Leon for help rescuing the preident's daughter and Chris/Jill not forming the BSAA but rather following up tips leading them to Wesker.
---
RE5, 3DS, RE6 Mercs fan
#23LiquidFuze180Posted 3/31/2013 12:04:16 PM
Simple solution to this problem, just introduce time-traveling into the plot.

Final Fantasy XIII-2, Splinter Cell Blacklist etc
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rnoYL5qykE :)
#24xXxAgentAdaxXxPosted 3/31/2013 1:46:26 PM
Ada doesn't age because she is Asian. Asians are known to look young even until 50's maybe. However, they turn into old-looking women instantly when they're 60+ lol
---
Formerly known as xXxAdaxXx.
#25TurduckenPosted 3/31/2013 3:25:09 PM
How come Ada looks younger in 6 than she does in 4???

She doesn't.

Yeah, Ada definitely does not look her age. She looks 18-21 in RE6 when in canon, she is 39.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I'd agree she doesn't look like most 39 year olds. Chalk it up to the Asian Aging Principle.

I like it when the characters dont age in game and I hope they keep doing it. If they can do it with Ada they can with others.

They haven't done it with Ada. She just looks good for her age. The cast is aging. Look at Chris. Look at Leon. The only one you can legit make this argument for is Sherry thanks to the G-Virus. The others are gonna keep aging, and have been.
---
THE FIGHT WILL CONTINUE, AS LONG AS THE AMERICA INSIDE MY HEART IS STILL ALIVE
#26cucumberkingPosted 3/31/2013 3:55:41 PM
Some operatives infect the heroes with a virus, when they cure the virus at the end of RE7 they find that they no longer age. Boom! Leon forever young!
---
Youtube: MilkmanYeti
#27skermacPosted 3/31/2013 3:58:37 PM
cucumberking posted...
Some operatives infect the heroes with a virus, when they cure the virus at the end of RE7 they find that they no longer age. Boom! Leon forever young!

Great idea! The virus will keep them looking young forever!
#28Narugarex13Posted 3/31/2013 5:10:19 PM
old snake
#29istuffedsunnyPosted 3/31/2013 8:41:22 PM
RE7... Featuring a cast of Gears of War rejects and developed by a cheap western studio. I am going to bet $900 this will happen.
---
I have a radio in my car.