Why exactly is RE6 and other modern RE games not RE? Just as good as originals.

#11PyroSparkPosted 4/10/2013 11:06:37 AM
I personally feel like REV, RE4, and RE6 are eons above the "classic" REs and never want to go back. >.>
---
rexator-"Make it a money match so that the winner gets to crap in the other's mouth." PSN: PyroSpark7
#12dragonstar13Posted 4/10/2013 1:07:37 PM
fluffy_kins posted...

I also wish 5 and 6 balanced exploring creepy environments and action segments a lot better like RE4 did, rather than basically being all out action games. At least 6 gave it a shot with some of Ada's and Leon's chapters, as well as that creepy city hall part in Chris's. But for the most part I don't feel like I'm barely surviving a nightmare anymore... I have enough weaponry to be considered a one man army and all the moves of an action movie hero. It definitely removes the tension.

I agree completely. I really enjoyed the previous REs, where you're stuck some place, and it allowed you fully explore your surroundings. RE4 did give you more some exploration, while moving you through the story. RE5 and RE6 and I felt like I was constantly pushed through the story, instead of being allowed take everything in, and RE6 felt a lot more rushed storywise, because they had 3 campaigns going on in one game. Honestly, I would of liked the game to focus on Leon's campaign instead, and give it the care that RE4 got, and then do Chris and Jake's stories on the side. Maybe even axe Jake's story, and make a new game for him instead.

Regarding the originals, I think it's partly because of how they were set-up. There was a creepy tone to the early games, partly because the music was able to match the atmosphere. It was like each music piece was made for a particular room or scene.
Then there is the kind of sounds played, like the noises zombies made when they were in the room, and you could tell they were there either walking or eating. I felt like all these elements were cared for in the original games. The other is how they create this kind of tension when exploring rooms. Like finding a key in a bathtub, only to have a zombie jump out. Especially when you're by yourself. There was also something satisfying about getting the infinite weapons in the previous REs for me. I enjoyed the challenge of beating the game within a certain amount of time. I was thrilled when I got the I.R.L for the first time and blasting everything in sight. RE6 I didn't really get that satisfaction, and I kind of stopped playing it because I've done all the campaigns 3 times already. I just don't really care for the game enough to go through the other modes and get almost every single trophy. I may go back eventually, but there's something about the original games that made me happy to get even single gun, file, and ending. Something else I miss from the originals, is the choices you get in the games, and the alternate endings. Sure, they weren't big differences, but I liked the story changing slightly based on your decisions. Also, I miss the music the most from the previous installments because they greatly added to the atmosphere.
I like the new REs well enough, I originally loved RE6, and I still like RE6 to some extent that I think it's a game RE fans should at least try. However I can't help but look at it's flaws, and just want to critique it.
---
Abel is probably to Xenosaga what Neo was to the Matrix. - archmageraist
Claimed Misha Arsellec Lune and Lyner Barsett
#13edward18Posted 4/10/2013 2:01:48 PM
4's just as bad as 5 and 6 at being a survival horror.

RE6's file about B.O.W.s makes special mention of the Tyrant:

Well ain't that just precious?

BIO-ORGANIC WEAPONS (B.O.W.s)

Bio-Organic Weapon -- An organic life form that has been turned into a weapon, usually by means of viral infection. The virus is designed not to kill the host outright, but to transform it into a creature that is suited for combat situations. The creatures that ran amok during the leak of the T-Virus in Raccoon City in 1998 are typical of such B.O.W.s. One of the most effective B.O.W.s produced by the T-Virus was the Tyrant, which gave many Raccoon City survivors a run for their money. Its high intelligence and strength made it a focus for researchers.

...uh...what Raccoon City survivors? There would've been hardly any documented encounters of a Tyrant during that outbreak with how much chaos was taking place.

The "T" in T-Virus stands for Tyrant: the ultimate human-based B.O.W.. Not only is a Tyrant incredibly strong, but it is also intelligent and capable of following orders. No other mutation may ever be capable of surpassing it.

Uh bull****...Alexia?

This does seem quite possible if we do consider the Tyrant variants Umbrella developed, with several roles in mind:

-An Intelligent version (Nemesis T-Type from RE3)

That's not just a Tyrant...

-An Infiltration version (Hypnos T-Type from RES)

...that's what that was? I thought it was just showing the potential of the Sheena Island method of Tyrant production...

In essence Plagas are more similar to the NE-Alpha Parasite used to control Nemesis.

Uh, not really. They're FAR inferior and cause quite unstable bug-like mutations from far less stress than it takes to even get Nemesis' coat off.

In fact, in RE:ORC the NE-Beta parasites pretty much act like Plagas, controlling zombie hosts and even causing new mutations, as in the case of final boss of the Echo Six campaign.

1. That's what those things were?
2. From what I saw they just crawl around and jump into other creatures. Plagas have to be surgically implanted before Plagas Type 2 and Type 3 and even then those need to be orally implanted.

Anyway, In Damnation Las Plagas are used to control Licker Betas, and quite possibly also the Tyrants.

Something that makes my eye twitch.

RE4 did give you more some exploration, while moving you through the story.

Which is one of the big problems.

RE5 and RE6 and I felt like I was constantly pushed through the story, instead of being allowed take everything in,

That's the same damn thing 4 did!
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#14JwahahaPosted 4/10/2013 5:02:30 PM
Because everything slowly died with RE4 and eventually got killed in RE5. One of the biggest reason the new ones fail is because you couldn't backtrack to areas later in the game and get your mindblown or go 'now it all makes sense'.
#15UltimateGeth39Posted 4/10/2013 10:09:18 PM
Hate to say this but the old RE games have never blown my mind they're just too outdated and even if you dont want to admit it people would be pissed with capcom if they just stopped the series at code veronica or continued it with the same horrible tank controls.
#16edward18Posted 4/10/2013 10:13:29 PM
Considering 4 and 5 have tank controls.

And I don't give a damn what the general public thinks.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
#17UltimateGeth39Posted 4/10/2013 10:25:50 PM
Yeah I actually don't give a F*** about what you think either all you do is disagree with anything anyone says and bash the newer RE games and I know 4 and 5 have tank controls but they have way better controls than the old ones 6 went a little overboard with it but it was still a good game if they can find a middle ground between 5 and 6 control's then people might be more accepting of the direction the series is taking.
#18edward18Posted 4/10/2013 10:30:21 PM
Yeah I actually don't give a F*** about what you think either

You're part of the general audience?

all you do is disagree with anything anyone says

That's a lie.

and bash the newer RE games

Yeah, no ****.

and I know 4 and 5 have tank controls but they have way better controls than the old ones

...all that changed was the camera and aiming.

6 went a little overboard with it but it was still a good game if they can find a middle ground between 5 and 6 control's then people might be more accepting of the direction the series is taking.

The only good game since Remake looks like Revelations.
---
#19UltimateGeth39Posted 4/10/2013 10:42:56 PM
Revelations is basically 4 and 5 on a boat with no connection to the early games except it has jill and chris in it so what to you make's revelations look good that 4 and 5 don't.
---
"there's always a man, a lighthouse, a city."
#20edward18Posted 4/10/2013 10:47:38 PM
Revelations is basically 4 and 5 on a boat with no connection to the early games except it has jill and chris in it so what to you make's revelations look good that 4 and 5 don't.

It looks like it's way more focused on exploring and backtracking. Also it's got a viral agent that's made from the old ones so that's more of a connection than 4.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still want a game more like Remake, just saying it looks like the best one since Remake.
---