So after hearing a lot of negativity about this game

#31ZeratulthekingPosted 4/18/2013 6:25:14 AM
DestinyKnot posted...
..no, but I play Mercenaries for hours at a time, that is where the replay value from this game comes in for me at least. =|

But that is not even the main game, it is a multiplayer match that you are going for a score. Replayability usually ties to the campaign or main story of a game not the MP off-shoot that lasts 2-10 minutes at a time(depending on if you get time bonuses and melee kills).

Multiplayer is designed for any game to be able to play the same thing over and over again, that doesn't translate to the main game having replay value. Take RE4 for instance, I can say I've played that game probably 8+ times now start to finish because I had so much fun playing it over and over again for the story. RE6 I haven't even bothered to finish it once and I've loved RE since the start. IMHO it is a lackluster game and I can't see how people enjoy it and put it on a pedastal like they are. Only thing I can say it did well was graphically it was done well.
#32Coryo61827Posted 4/18/2013 6:59:04 AM
Quote:DestinyKnot posted...
..no, but I play Mercenaries for hours at a time, that is where the replay value from this game comes in for me at least. =|

But that is not even the main game, it is a multiplayer match that you are going for a score. Replayability usually ties to the campaign or main story of a game not the MP off-shoot that lasts 2-10 minutes at a time(depending on if you get time bonuses and melee kills).

Multiplayer is designed for any game to be able to play the same thing over and over again, that doesn't translate to the main game having replay value. Take RE4 for instance, I can say I've played that game probably 8+ times now start to finish because I had so much fun playing it over and over again for the story. RE6 I haven't even bothered to finish it once and I've loved RE since the start. IMHO it is a lackluster game and I can't see how people enjoy it and put it on a pedastal like they are. Only thing I can say it did well was graphically it was done well.

@Zeratultheking

This! People are so dumb when most of the time they call residents evil 6 a masterpiece and yet all they do is praise the side mini games. Lol. That is not the main focus for resident evil games. If the main game fails, just because it has mini games it won't save the MAIN game.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#33SolidStryderPosted 4/18/2013 7:35:06 AM
Zeratultheking posted...
DestinyKnot posted...

It's weird, I feel the same way about RE4. Great camera system, terrible RE game overall. Hated the story, complete departure from where CV ended. Same horribly awkward control scheme without the charm of the previous entries. Central location traded for level progressions, survival horror replaced with encouraged combat. Played it once and I was done. RE 5 and 6 I got multiple campaign runs out of. First one was solo for the story, the rest splitscreen or online with friends that like the series.
#34GiveMeSomeVodkaPosted 4/18/2013 10:02:38 AM
i thought replayability came from being able to replay the game over and over again no matter what mode you played it in. guess i'm wrong.

COD has tons of extra content modes (death match, capture the flag, etc), but i personally found the campaign not that fun to play over and over again - yet it still gets high scores, even though it's /more or less/ the same game as its predecessor.

same with my previous example, tomb raider. tomb raider has little replay value although it is a very good game. the extra content is not that great though.

(using these two games because the majority think they're better than re6).

i played re6's campaign at least 36 times (every character, every difficulty) and though now i'm sick to my stomach with /any full campaign/ (though i still love the campaigns in sections: leon's chapter 1, chris's chapter 1, 2, 4, jake's chapter 1, 2, 3, and ada's chapter 1, 2 and 4), i still got my money's worth. the 4 player ustanak and orgoman fights are some of the best experiences i've had in gaming.

point being - unless you absolutely think the game is a monstrosity, then it's not worth it. i'm just saying i definitely got my money's worth playing the extra content (about 500 hours worth vs the 10 - 20 hours on a highly praised game like tomb raider; i don't see myself playing the game ever again), even though i played the campaigns to a pulp.

i think it's better if tc just bought the game tbh. otherwise he'll never know for himself. if i listened to the majority of people's opinion's and the majority of reviews, i would not be enjoying myself as much as i am, /even if it is because of the extra content/. and it's not like i didn't fully play the game and not enjoy that, either.

or tc can play the demo.

note: not sure if some if my TR and CoD examples are relevent to anything (since i'm stating opinions instead of facts in my examples). i can also say similar things about other games i think are absolutely great games like half life, halo, fallout, skyrim, red dead and gta4, just saying. i'm sure readers'll get the idea (for example: fallout is replayable for a different reason, such as different endings, different options, side quests and areas to explore, different karma ratings, etc).

this is also not to say i think re6 is a masterpiece. god no. do you know how many glitches and exploits i've stumbled upon? while i praise the game for being extremely fun, the main game does not offer what some of the other games i listed above can (which can sound a bit contradictory and also irrelevent because the games listed are not of the same genre).

this mini review isn't about what i think of its story, music and graphics (though i do think it's all good), but about how much /enjoyment/ i get out of playing such a fun game, campaign mode or not. a game is completely worth time and money as long as /you/ have fun playing it and can play it over and over again no matter how you play it.
#35MallyPureSmoothPosted 4/18/2013 11:19:15 AM(edited)
Zeratultheking posted...
DestinyKnot posted...

Yeah, mini-games shouldn't be what keeps a game alive, it should be the campaign. A story-focused game is a failure if the only thing holding your interest is mini-games. I must disagree about the part where you said the graphics were well done, though. The character models and lighting is fantastic, but everything else simply looks okay...just don't observe anything up close.
---
Born Jan. 6, '94 at 3:47 pm
Gaming since Jan. 6, '94 at 3:48 pm
#36Syn_VengeancePosted 4/18/2013 11:16:32 AM
Jonathan_F_G posted...
@GiveMeSomeVodka

For 3 days? Well that's your fault for bum rushing through the game as fast as possible.

There's no doubt that there are other things to do in TR (2013) other than clearing the main story.

meh tomb raider is alright, i bought it and played for 2 hours and kinda forgot about it. eventually ill get back to it but i wouldnt say its an amazing game.

its a darker, gorier version of uncharted with a femal lead, with crappier multiplayer.
#37tevin1569Posted 4/18/2013 2:36:42 PM
Zeratultheking posted...
DestinyKnot posted...
..exactly, Resident Evil 6 may be a far from perfect game, but one thing it does offer plenty of is replay value, which may be its redeeming quality overall. I can see why many people still are addicted to this game, it has something for everybody.

So you've played through the campaign multiple times on every scenario, without stabbing your eyes out?

I applaud your effort at seeing something where it doesn't exist.

Infinite weapons playthrough doesn't really count as a playthrough as you aren't replaying the game you are walking through w/ cheats on to use the stronger weapons you wouldn't be able to use at stage 1 since there are no ammo drops for them. Which every other RE that had multiple weapons you could use your end game weapons on the 2nd round and be fine.

I played every campaign so much and still have fun...well except for Leons...but you know whatever. And no, it's still a playthrough... anyway, I have a ton of fun with Jake, Chris, and Ada's campaigns..plus all the dlc content, I'm addicted.
---
"How about you come down here and I'll show you"- Ada Wong to Derek Simmons (RE6)
"I came to win"-Fly
#38GiveMeSomeVodkaPosted 4/18/2013 2:46:14 PM
tevin1569 posted...
I played every campaign so much and still have fun...well except for Leons...but you know whatever. And no, it's still a playthrough... anyway, I have a ton of fun with Jake, Chris, and Ada's campaigns..plus all the dlc content, I'm addicted.

yup.
#39Jonathan_F_GPosted 4/18/2013 3:09:23 PM(edited)
@Syn_Vengeance

@GiveMeSomeVodka

Idk guys.... The new TR looks amazing overall.

Like a RE1 > RE6 scenario, I'd take a high quality experience over a high quantity replay medium any day.
---
".... For I AM "the Dragon", Dracul! I AM "the Prince of Darkness"! THAT!... Is MY vengeance!" - Gabriel Belmont/Dracul
#40MallyPureSmoothPosted 4/18/2013 3:23:21 PM
Jonathan_F_G posted...
@Syn_Vengeance

@GiveMeSomeVodka

Idk guys.... The new TR looks amazing overall.

It's definitely good, but like most games nowdays, you'll shelve it for a while and play something else before you finish it.
---
Born Jan. 6, '94 at 3:47 pm
Gaming since Jan. 6, '94 at 3:48 pm