Will Resident evil 7 be survival horror?

#41dsar901(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 1:42:10 AM
SSJ_Jin posted...
dsar901 posted...
After Shinji Mikami announced his next game, which is a surviva horror game, will Cacom respond by making resident Evil 7 more like a Survival horror game? Not like the ps1 games, but like resident evil revelation?
I think after the backlash against RE 6 it is possible. http://filmgamesetc.com/2013/02/capcom-says-resident-evil-7-will-be-more-focused/

Please make it more like the old games and not Revelations. I don't know why everyone likes that game so much. It's not horror, it's the new style with far less enemies. Makes it more boring for me.

Hopefully Shinji's new game will be a hit and get everyone to give Capcom a clue about the direction of RE.

I would love for them to make it like the older ps1 games or Code Veonica but with updated graphics. BUT I don't think Capcom would do that, those games have been criticised by revieweres a lot because of bad camera angles and controls etc. And Capcom are always trying to please reviewers and the majority because they want there games to sell to the largest demographic. i think that's why they westernised DmC.
#42dsar901(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 1:45:07 AM
tripZ504 posted...
Here's the thing. Customer is always right. Wether we or anyone likes it or not, it's the way it goes. But this industry doesn't want to accept it. While as far as devs/publishers being told how to do there job is different than having a community band together and throw them ideas on what the game should be. Instead the community/customer does nothing but complain (most times with good reason) and trash there work.

Get an idea together make a pitch to capcom. You'd be surprised at the results if you put the effort.

Soon enough we will get another outbreak where the term survival horror is really all about.

Take the game for what it is not for what it isint.

I don't think capcom really listens to their fans though, the only thing you could do is boycott resident Evil games that aren't survival horror, but I like Re games too much to do that
#43XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 4/26/2013 11:48:38 AM
You could just buy used. Then they don't get your money but you still get to play it. I think if everyone did that we might actually get what we want.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#44TurduckenPosted 4/26/2013 12:05:00 PM
That's what I did.

Still a waste of money even at 26 bucks, though. But at least they didn't get it.
---
THE FIGHT WILL CONTINUE, AS LONG AS THE AMERICA INSIDE MY HEART IS STILL ALIVE
#45GoldsicklePosted 4/26/2013 5:03:43 PM
XxAxem_BlackxX posted...
it's just that what "some" people think doesn't really matter.

And why do the opinions of these "some" people don't matter?
Are you included amongst these "some people"?
Why? Why not?

All you have to do is ask around.

Already did that.
That's how I realized that Survival Horror is one big mess of personal opinions.

Do you really think they were still making brand new copies of PS1 games in 2008?

Old games from 10 years ago are still picked up and sold, brand new from time to time, whether they are available in stores you walk in or online stores.
If you check sites like Play-Asia, you can still find brand new copies of old games like Final Fantasy IX for the PlayStation or Resident Evil 2 for the N64 and when these games are sold, they get added into the sales data.

Even though not that old, just last year, I bought a fresh copy of the Mega Man X Collection for the PS2.

Well I say there are far more fans of the old RE games. Prove me wrong?

The sales for the latter RE games are sold at a much faster rate.
If the first RE took over 10 years and several ports to reach 6 million, imagine how much RE5 would have gotten if given that much time.

(Reminder: RE5 took a few months to reach 5 million copies worth of sales.)

If you were to consider people who only played for a bit and sold off the copy and people who weren't happy with their purchase, the same could be said about any Resident Evil title (unless you want to prove to me that everyone who bought the old school RE are 100% happy with their purchase).

In conclusion, there are more people who played the latter RE games, meaning more people associating RE with the newer titles.

Are you saying the new games are niche too?

Somewhat but less niche than last time.

If you were to browse mainstream humor sites with high traffic like 9gag or Cracked, the games that gets talked about or brought up more will always be Mario, Zelda or Halo.
Resident Evil rarely gets mentioned.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#46Bob the AlmightyPosted 4/29/2013 4:40:39 PM
Yeah the older games sold at a slower rate because it was still a new franchise. Duh. I mean look at Halo. It took the first Halo four years to sell 5 million units yet Halo 3, Reach, and 4 did that it months.

Why? Because the fan base is already there. The reason why newer games sell so fast out the gate is because there's fifteen years worth of a fan base supporting the game. The original games helped build that fan base, unless you are assuming that the 5 million buyers of RE 5 and 6 didn't play any of the pre-RE 4 games.

The newer RE games, like any long-standing franchise, sell on nostalgia from the older fans as well as the expanded audience that never played a RE game until RE 4, 5, or 6.

And if you want to count single versions, RE 2 on PS1 sold more copies than any other version of the series (ie more people bought RE 2 on PS1 than bought RE 5 or 6 on the PS3 or the 360 individually). When you factor in RE 5 sold 6 million across PS3+360 (which includes the Gold Edition re-release) it doesn't seem like THAT big of an accomplishment. Even with two systems with a much larger combined user base than the PS1 the sales difference between RE 5/6 and RE 2 isn't that great.
---
You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness.
#47KaiKun91Posted 4/29/2013 9:08:30 PM
This is the same case of Old fan vs New fan.
Old fan want a return to classic RE while New fan then complain that the mechanics is just too clunky. Which is which. I wonder would fans accept RE 7 to be Classic RE atmosphere but RE 6 mechanics.
#48Bob the AlmightyPosted 4/29/2013 9:48:15 PM
I like all the main games (RE0-6 and Code Veronica) so as long as the game is good I don't really care.

I would just prefer less big action set pieces in favor of a more toned down and unsettling atmosphere. But I have my doubts if a "classic" style RE game would even sell in today's world.

I'd settle for a compromise that makes co-op completely optional, which includes a computer controlled AI. Have a story mode with just one character and no tag-alongs like RE 1, 2, 3, and 4 and maybe an alternate story-mode with a co-op character (or just some random character that never says anything and doesn't show up during the cut scenes).
---
You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness.
#49GiftedACIIIPosted 4/29/2013 11:38:21 PM
Implying RE was ever a good horror game.
#50dsar901(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 7:52:50 AM
When you first start up resident evil 1 DC on ps1, I still remember it says, welcome back to the world of survival horror. Maybe it is just teh PAL version? Anyway, and on RE4 box it says the game is a ACTION HORROR game. Because obviously RE4 has less emphasis on running away from enemies (unless you put it on the hardest difficulty). Anyway the entire point was whether Capcom will scrap the more action oriented RE games (like RE 5 and 6) or go for more horror oriented ones. They still won't go back to the ps1 games with fixed camera angles. They still want to appeal to a large demographic, they are Capcom after all