[POLL] Tank Controls

#21Superman19Posted 4/23/2013 6:05:01 AM
Emoney244 posted...
For a fixed camera RE, tank controls ONLY
For a 3rd person RE, free camera control and movement.

this guy pretty much hit the bull's eye
#22SSJ_JinPosted 4/23/2013 6:19:51 AM(edited)
parkourboybryan posted...
TC, I'm assuming that this poll spawned from out argument in the "REmake 2" topic. Therefore, don't try to just sway the poll so that people agree with you, and clearly state which game they'd be featured in.

Of course it is. The ironic thing about that is he kept screaming "majority, minority" and yet he makes this poll on GFAQs and only let's people who are registered vote, not people who just view it.

With those type of restrictions, you make a poll about RE4 on here and you'll get RE4 as the worst RE game by the majority. Which isn't true because the majority view it as one of, if not, the best. But you put it on this only and you'll get incorrect results.

That said, no tank controls shouldn't be in these new RE games. Just looking at Revelations again after playing RE6 is just a major step backward. An option would be nice though since in RE5 I play with the RE4 controls and not the strafing crap.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#23parkourboybryanPosted 4/23/2013 6:23:45 AM
SSJ_Jin posted...
TC, I'm assuming that this poll spawned from out argument in the "REmake 2" topic. Therefore, don't try to just sway the poll so that people agree with you, and clearly state which game they'd be featured in.

Of course it is. The ironic thing about that is he kept screaming "majority, minority" and yet he makes this poll on GFAQs and only let's people who are registered vote, not people who just view it.

With those type of restrictions, you make a poll about RE4 on here and you'll get RE4 as the worst RE game by the majority. Which isn't true because the majority view it as one of, if not, the best. But you put it on this only and you'll get incorrect results.

That said, no tank controls shouldn't be in these new RE games. Just looking at Revelations again after playing RE6 is just a major step backward. An option would be nice though since in RE5 I play with the RE4 controls and not the strafing crap.

Have you played Revelations with the Circle Pad Pro? It's much better.
---
One of the proud people that still plays Mirror's Edge to this day.
Not changing my sig until DICE officially announces Mirror's Edge 2
#24SSJ_JinPosted 4/23/2013 6:28:33 AM
No I haven't. I didn't have a problem with the controls, and if I were to play it on the 3DS I probably won't mind. But I dunno if I will get the PS3 release. Besides the fact they need to add a LOT of content for this port, just seeing the control scheme again is just bad. Like the dodging.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#25parkourboybryanPosted 4/23/2013 6:33:44 AM
Goldsickle posted...
I just said that taking a game from the 90's and implementing a control scheme from a different genre of a game would destroy that game in the long run.

Old RE had always tried to vary with it's gun combat mechanics.
There were techniques, like decapitation, dismemberment and even dual-wielding.
However, all this is hindered due to it's limitations.

The current mechanics seen in RE6 is a natural progression.

That's the thing, I'm not denying that. The controls in 6 are great for a game in 6's genre, a fast paced horror based TPS. I never denied that. I'm saying that they have no place in a slow paced horror game like RE2. Shoot, if the control scheme had to be changed, I'd pick Revelations (With Dual Analog), as that scheme still suits a slower paced horror game. The only thing I've been arguing is that if you take the Control Scheme from a fast paced game and implement it in one with a slower pace, it completely changes the game for the worse.

Take Tomb Raider and Uncharted, two games in similar genres. However, Uncharted is a much slower paced game and as such, has a little bit more restrictive control scheme. Granted in both games essentially both characters control the same way, but due to Lara being more agile and quick, the controls need to reflect that. If they were switched and you had Drake sprinting and doing tumble runs through a forest, while Lara gturns into a slower tank of a character, fans of each game would hate it. You don't take the control scheme of a game with a similar premise but different execution and apply it to a game where people are expecting the opposite, as it'll fall flat on its face.

Granted, I know Tomb Raider and Uncharted are different series, but in most people's eyes from a first glance, they're the same game with different characters.
---
#26parkourboybryanPosted 4/23/2013 6:35:42 AM
SSJ_Jin posted...
No I haven't. I didn't have a problem with the controls, and if I were to play it on the 3DS I probably won't mind. But I dunno if I will get the PS3 release. Besides the fact they need to add a LOT of content for this port, just seeing the control scheme again is just bad. Like the dodging.

It's a natural evolution of RE5's scheme. You can walk, aim and shoot, which is essentially the only gripe I ever had with the series. For the type of game, a slow paced survival horror title, the controls are perfect.
---
#27Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 5:37:04 PM
SSJ_Jin posted...
The ironic thing about that is he kept screaming "majority, minority" and yet he makes this poll on GFAQs and only let's people who are registered vote, not people who just view it.

Why? Are you sore that there are more people asking for it's removal than the ones who wants it forced?
I set it that way so that there can only be one IP per vote, which prevents cheating.

I'm saying that they have no place in a slow paced horror game like RE2.

The dual analog, walk-aim-shoot control scheme works anywhere, slow or fast-paced, as seen in Silent Hill: Homecoming and the Fatal Frame series.

You're just being very closed-minded about accepting a more functional control scheme and it sounds like you're just trying to protect your nostalgia.

Uncharted is a much slower paced game

Sounds as though you have never played Uncharted.
I have all three games on the PS3.
There are some slower-paced transitions but overall, I'd describe the game as fast-paced.

You're also ignoring the fact that each player plays differently.
When you give more fluid controls, it doesn't mean that every player will automatically sprint and jump everywhere.
All it does is give the option to dodge roll, option to move forward while shooting and so on.
It's up to the players if they want to use these options.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#28Starsoul_klrPosted 4/23/2013 5:51:22 PM
Superman19 posted...
Emoney244 posted...
For a 3rd person RE, free camera control and movement.

this guy pretty much hit the bull's eye

I agree: it depends on the game. A remake of one of the classic games with the controls are fine but the future titles should have the 4 and onward mechanics. I like the fast pace of the more recent games and to be able to counter some of the minor enemies gives you some more freedom although the stronger enemies you will have to have more caution.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Starsoulklr
I'm an Ultra Nerd for Video Games so see what I've got for viewing.
#29Goldsickle(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 5:55:58 PM
Emoney244 posted...

Fatal Frame 1-3, Onimusha 3, Devil May Cry series, Haunting Ground, Silent Hill 2-4, Resident Evil: Outbreak series and the N64 version of Resident Evil 2 were good examples of how full analog controls work better than tank, even in fixed camera environments.
---
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".
#30SunburstPosted 4/23/2013 5:58:27 PM(edited)
Only as a novelty bonus feature.
---
There can be only one.