[POLL] Prerendered Backgrounds

#61edward18Posted 5/3/2013 8:08:04 AM
The look good?
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
Apparently Edward: Wise Old Sage of Korodai
#62StartersPosted 5/3/2013 9:10:46 AM
fully rendered background can achieve excatly what pre-rendered has except with some more plus to it. there is no point in going back...
---
Living is the moment worth dying for...
#63edward18Posted 5/3/2013 9:29:41 AM
In your opinion.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
#64StartersPosted 5/3/2013 10:46:21 AM(edited)
No... this is one of the very few times where i can say this is no longer an opinion. its the truth... prerendered has no more place on a AAA game like resident evil.
---
#65XxAxem_BlackxXPosted 5/3/2013 2:42:57 PM
Prerendered backgrounds do have merits of their own. They look better graphically than games with 3D backgrounds. REmake's graphics are 10 years old and could stand up to some of today's games. Also the fixed cameras that go along with 2D backgrounds helped to add suspense to the original games since you often couldn't see very far in front of you or what was around the next corner. Besides that they give games a unique feel to them.

Now you might think the bad outweighs the good and that's fine but not everyone else thinks so. I don't care if you think the old games suck or the old style sucks and if you'd realize that's just your opinion I'd have no issue with you.
---
www.morbid-obsession.com
#66so_realPosted 5/3/2013 8:04:47 PM
Goldsickle posted...
Should this old, outdated, irrelevant work-around make a 'glorious return' anytime soon?

I think a classic RE is possible with the OTS camera. But the cinematic qualities of fixed camera should be reimplemented into the gameplay somehow. Just because they're "old, outdated, irrelevant..." doesn't disqualify them having achieved an atmosphere and setting arguably better than their modern counterparts.
#67StartersPosted 5/3/2013 8:38:14 PM(edited)
We can already achieve photo realistic fully rendered backgrounds... This was already pointed out. Prerendered backgrounds does look good... But:
They have bad sense of field depth.
Bad blending of rendered model and prerendered background.
Their static. Irresponsive to real time stimuli.
Camera transitions will force developers to take multiple shots of the background. This will srew up the buffer and all sort of thing...

Now with full render, you can have great graphics, minus all the this above. Plus so have all sorts of more add ons like active bloom, depth of field, environmental stimuli etc... So why go back?
---
#68StartersPosted 5/3/2013 9:29:28 PM(edited)
Tc started the poll and tc screwed it up...

The question is simple, "should prerendered back grounds come back?
There should only be 2 choices, yes and no.

Tc really has to bring up the issue of fix camera and ots to this, huh?
This is inaccurate, this poll should be redone...
---
#69edward18Posted 5/3/2013 11:14:03 PM
No... this is one of the very few times where i can say this is no longer an opinion. its the truth... prerendered has no more place on a AAA game like resident evil.

Any component of a game should be in any game as long as it's doing the best that it can.

We can already achieve photo realistic fully rendered backgrounds... This was already pointed out.

No, someone just said that is all. I don't think I've ever seen environments in games look as good as prerendered environments.

Prerendered backgrounds does look good... But:
They have bad sense of field depth.

When they're done badly.

Bad blending of rendered model and prerendered background.

When they're done badly.

Their static.

0 has beautiful scenery of water droplets tinkering and things swinging.

Camera transitions will force developers to take multiple shots of the background. This will srew up the buffer and all sort of thing...

So...you're saying the game maker is being lazy when they make it look bad and that they can make it look good if they give the effort...

Now with full render, you can have great graphics, minus all the this above.

If they're done good.

Plus so have all sorts of more add ons like active bloom, depth of field, environmental stimuli etc... So why go back?

...cause it looks good?
---
#70StartersPosted 5/4/2013 6:54:01 AM
Your full reply only shows little info about how graphics work.

A false sense of depth is always staple in pre-rendered backgrounds no matter how much you try to sugarcoat your reply. So does go for bad blending of rendered model movement and pre-rendered one. no amount of effort will fix that. That is a fixed downside. In fact, that's one of the reasons fully rendered is used today.

You also don't get what I mean when I said "they're static and don't response to real time stimuli". Try figuring it out before I reason to you with that.

You also don't understand what I mean with having multiple shots. Understand the concept of frame manipulation first. With all this in hand, as the other guy said, do you simply think that because this is the new age, doing "pre-rendered background" is more simple than fully rendered? pre-rendered backgrounds are lethal, impractical, dull downside-filled, and commercially unpleasant for Resident evil today.

The terms "look good" is subjective. RE zero comes nowhere near games like crysis in terms of visual, and that's my opinion. Whats above right now is proper evidence.
---